Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Even before he scored his goal, I was gonna say that the Goat is looking really good. I think we may have found our long term 4th line center. Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Goat... I'm fine with that going forward.

He needs creative wings but he gets in the right areas and does the little things.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Really liking some of our depth players.

They will be huge moving forward when it comes to all things Cap related.

Moore, Gauthier, Oz, Johnsson etc.

Players coming from the Marlies look like they can seamlessly transition to the Leafs. That's a testament to the work being done by Keefe.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Even before he scored his goal, I was gonna say that the Goat is looking really good. I think we may have found our long term 4th line center. Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Goat... I'm fine with that going forward.

Don't think so. I think down the road 4th line will be a revolving door with our salary cap situation. Always going cheap.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Really liking some of our depth players.

They will be huge moving forward when it comes to all things Cap related.

Moore, Gauthier, Oz, Johnsson etc.

Players coming from the Marlies look like they can seamlessly transition to the Leafs. That's a testament to the work being done by Keefe.

Keefe was taught to run Babcocks systems so the players can transition over easier

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I am intrigued if how well the J T M line is playing if Hyman will be injected right back there when healthy.

Ideally he would take Brown's spot on the Kadri Nylander line with Brown scratched, but sadly that will never happen.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am intrigued if how well the J T M line is playing if Hyman will be injected right back there when healthy.

Ideally he would take Brown's spot on the Kadri Nylander line with Brown scratched, but sadly that will never happen.
Yeah, that would be good. Hyman is really not a key part of the top 6 like many suspected, but I still think he's a good part of the team

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
This was the first game I missed all season because I just moved to a new place so its awesome to see a nice W tonight. I can’t wait til tomorrow’s game tho I feel like we could be seeing a a very hot team going into 2019!

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
Awesome game. Expected the Leafs to be a big rustier... but they looked great!

My under 6.5 goals bet paid off too. Now I'm 3 for 3 in betting so far (though admittedly, there is no way I would have bet the under had I known that Sparks was starting).

Really fun sweat... especially that last minute and a half where the goalie was pulled for a lot of it. While the game was basically over, any goal would have ruined my bet... so that was really fun for me. It's why I bet... made the last minute and a half super interesting from my perspective, even though most of you probably didn't care what was happening in the last 15 seconds after being up 2 goals. I was like "put the goalie back in!!! you're not scoring two goals in 15 seconds!! .... glad we didn't have Hyman in the lineup to get that empty netter!

Anyways... on to the next... I think I'll just bet the Leafs to win outright tomorrow... we're looking really good right now and I think we should be able to beat the Islanders.

I was cheering for the empty netter as I had the over tonight.

I am always happy as long as we get the two points though.

Now let’s kick some Islander ass tomorrow!

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
its just amusing that we are bickering about our back up who is 6-1-1(you cant ask anything out of your backup besides to win game) and our 3rd and 4th lines which have been fantastic. night and day compared to where they have been in the past decade. time is good to be a leaf fan.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Constant thoughts all game :

1. Skilled player + JT and Marner is like the Bergeron line for Boston. Relentless looks and chances, game after game after game.

Hyman cannot be back on that line. Its a complete waste of a Dynamic 3 way passing scoring machine. We may very well out work Tampa and Boston this year.

2. Sign Kap! That Grit that no other leaf has bar Kadri, was shown last year vs Boston in playoffs. Isnt afraid to go in rough. Changes the game when you retaliate. Evens it out. Humbles the bullies. For the soft leafs hes needed. Oh and hes our fastest player, has alot of goals, and is a Pker.

3. Moore has got to stay. 2 games. 2 assists. If this was 3 years ago, hed be called Mitch Marner

4. Hyman not missed at Allllllllllllllll - we will need his vet grit during playoffs or vs tougher teams.... right.....?

5. Sparks... mm OK

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Yeah, that would be good. Hyman is really not a key part of the top 6 like many suspected, but I still think he's a good part of the team

Hyman is an effective player whom Babcock has stapled to the top 6 guarenteed. He should get in that role occasionally, however, his lack of reading a play and vision and skill should limit that.

That being said he would be a great bottem six player. He has decent speed, he is the best forechecker on the team and he is capable of cycling the puck and using his body. I think he could create the space for Nylander and Kadri create more instead of being neutered by Brown.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That was Sparks' best start this season.

Oz played like he's still recovering from the flu. I saw Moore on the bench near the end of the game and he was looking a bit rough. I'm wondering if he's coming down with the flu. He still had another excellent game.

I loved that moment when the Columbus dman went straight into panic recovery mode with a rushing Kapanen despite having a huge head start. Speed kills.

I'm happy to see Gauthier scoring a little.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Moore-Lindholm-Hyman
Ennis-Gauthier

Probably the optimal forward groups when healthy.

Reactions: PuckMagi

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
5 Mitch Marner 38 GP 13 G 40 A 53 Points
15 John Tavares 38 GP 26 G 18 A 44 Points

16 Morgan Rielly 38 GP 13 G 31 A 44 Points

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Moore-Lindholm-Hyman
Ennis-Gauthier

Probably the optimal forward groups when healthy.

Id swap Hyman and Brown with that lineup personally

I'd also look at

Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Lindholm Gauthier Moore

I really like that 4th line as it's currently constructed even if I know Brown will never get the press box treatment

Reactions: MapleLeafs77

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Oz wasn't so hot tonight even prior to that bad turn over pass

Sparks bad 1st, good 2nd and 3rd recovery

Team looks like it doesn't particularly miss Hyman

Moore shouldn't go back down

Agreed. Unlike Brown he can actually skate. Brown had to work hard just to get to average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad