Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
haven't seen this mentioned by willy was fantastic again. When jt and willy are both on that line is a two-way force. Unfortunately we've had spurts before where one was on and the other not. Last 10-15 games both of them have been a treat to watch.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
TBH Vancouver looked bad a lot in this game .. Many sloppy/missed passes ... Helped make the Leafs look really good :laugh:
The Canucks season ended when basically all of them got the virus. I'm quite sure many of them are not 100% and won't be until the season is already over. On top of catching the virus, they play a ridiculously condensed schedule to catch up. It's not surprising they play so bad. But the NHL is adamant no teams should get "a competitive edge", lol.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The Canucks season ended when basically all of them got the virus. I'm quite sure many of them are not 100% and won't be until the season is already over. On top of catching the virus, they play a ridiculously condensed schedule to catch up. It's not surprising they play so bad. But the NHL is adamant no teams should get "a competitive edge", lol.

I don't know, I have a feeling they weren't playing well even before the virus.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wayne showed respect by stopping when Edler was all defense in the fight. Wayne got his in and message sent.

Good to see and necessary. I know if I'm not a good fighter, I would think twice about throwing big hits if guys like Simmonds were gonna chase me around until I fight them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Good to see and necessary. I know if I'm not a good fighter, I would think twice about throwing big hits if guys like Simmonds were gonna chase me around until I fight them.
Simmonds classy again threw the hands up when Edler took a knee lol. He didn’t crack him a cheap shot and just let him go. I like that.

Reactions: LeafsGuy16

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It looks like Sandin has done a quick study on how Brodie lays a belly flop on pucks with perfect timing. He pulled a perfect drop tonight. Liljegren was laying the body on every chance and looked poised too. Liljegren will burn teams with that awareness up ice. He just see’s the stretch pass so quick. As long as he doesn’t start forcing that he will be dangerous the right way.

Hutton was physical when the hit was there in the defensive zone. That was some good defense considering Muzzy Bogosian and Rielly were out. Just solid. The forwards were playing safe and aggressive in balance.

hopefull they run the table

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
wouldn’t mind seeing

Sandin - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl (Shut Down Pairing)
Rielly - Dermott

I’ve always thought Dermott played his best hockey with Rielly, especially when Dermott is on the right side

Bogosian rotated in once Healthy

I like that too. Sandin looks capable to take some of the workload off of Rielly and possibly keep him fresher by playing him to keep him sharp these last 6. I like it. Sandin & Brodie look every bit the shutdown too. :)

Reactions: Cobra777

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It looks like Sandin has done a quick study on how Brodie lays a belly flop on pucks with perfect timing. He pulled a perfect drop tonight. Liljegren was laying the body on every chance and looked poised too. Liljegren will burn teams with that awareness up ice. He just see’s the stretch pass so quick. As long as he doesn’t start forcing that he will be dangerous the right way.

Hutton was physical when the hit was there in the defensive zone. That was some good defense considering Muzzy Bogosian and Rielly were out. Just solid. The forwards were playing safe and aggressive in balance.

hopefull they run the table
running the table might mean they eliminate mtl, i like our matchup with them more than calgary and also would prefer to knock them out in rd 1 as opposed to before since it would mean we get to eliminate them and deny them a lottery pick lol

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Ian Tulluch gave both our young d man 5 stars in his player grades. Sandin got the game puck. Here is what he said on each player.

Rasmus Sandin (LD, #38) — This was an excellent opportunity for Sandin to showcase what he could accomplish on the top pair with TJ Brodie. He dominated play at 5v5 thanks in large part to his composure with the puck.
He’s unfazed by oncoming forecheckers, calmly stick-handling his way around poke checks before threading a pass up the ice. Sandin was also opportunistic offensively, jumping up to aid the attack when the opportunity presented itself.
By the end of the night, Sandin’s pairing outscored their opponents by two goals, outshot them by 13, and out-chanced them by 11 at even strength. It’s only one game, but that’s one heck of an audition for a role a lot of us could see him filling next season.
To wrap things up on him defensively, his tight gap in transition forced a lot of dump-ins, which allowed the Leafs to go back on loose pucks and quickly move play up the ice. When Sandin was forced to defend in his own end, there were a few 50-50 battles where he came out on the losing end, but he didn’t get burned positionally in front of the net.

Timothy Liljegren (RD, #37) — That’s about as impressive as it gets in the neutral zone.
I counted three or four times where Liljegren decked an opposing forward before they could get to the red line, killing the rush and securing possession for his team. Now, his puck-moving wasn’t as dynamic as we’ve seen at the AHL level, although he did rip a few stretch passes, which is something he loves to do.
The bigger takeaway for me was just how physical Liljegren was at closing the gap in the neutral zone and separating Vancouver forwards from the puck. You’ll hear some polarizing opinions on Liljegren’s skating, but if I’m just evaluating this one game, he was damn-near perfect in transition defense.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Our depth looks really good

If I was Rielly I would be a little nervous with Sandin already looking like a potential top pair D man.

Hopefully Rielly uses the internal competition as motivation and has an amazing playoff run (same with Sandin)

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Nervous about what?

Is there a rule against teams having too many good dmen?

Very true, too many good defensemen is never a bad thing.

If Sandin continues on a positive trajectory into next season and maybe as early as this offseason depending on our hopefully *knock on wood* very successful playoff run, it might affect saving cap space on Rielly and using it elsewhere depending on his asking price.

Hopefully we’re able to have players continue to take a little less to keep the team together like Spezza for example.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Liljegren impressed me with his physicality. Dude stood up guys in the neutral zone multiple times.

Keep giving him looks. This game kinda reaffirmed my belief that Holl is really just a product of Muzzin. Has he looked good with anyone else? I’d love to see how a Muzzin - Liljegren pairing handles themselves.

Man what is there to even say about Sandin at this point. I don’t care if I’m overhyping him. He has #1 Two way defensmen potential written all over him.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Yup. The Canucks were already missing Pettersson, but Covid ravished that team. We shouldn't have lost to them last week but we had some spotty goaltending and they were running on adrenaline. That will only get you so far though.

Sandin and Lilly looked good, but I'd like to see how they match up against tough competition.

Reactions: KingPapi

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Awesome fight by Simmonds as payback for the Hyman knee. That absolutely needed to happen. It should've happened the game Hyman got injured.

Respect to Edler for taking the fight. He knew he had to. And respect to Simmonds for stopping the moment Edler took a knee.

Moments like these are way fighting can never be removed from the game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yup. The Canucks were already missing Pettersson, but Covid ravished that team. We shouldn't have lost to them last week but we had some spotty goaltending and they were running on adrenaline. That will only get you so far though.

Sandin and Lilly looked good, but I'd like to see how they match up against tough competition.
Funny. Tonight's game was largely the same as the last Canucks game but Holtby stood on his head and everybody freaked out again about the Leafs lacking character or some shit.

Only in Leafs nation does running into a hot goalie mean the team needs to be blown up.

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
Called 38 excellent tonight and said 78 was exceptional beside him which helped.

For a coach who likes to tinker to find out what hes got, youve got to figure that pair is a legit option should 44 and 78 not click when it matters.
Lol why do you call them numbers like Babcock? Kinda odd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad