Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hughes looked great when he had a stalwart defensive partner, like Tanev. When you rely on a Hughes, Karlsson or even Rielly to be your defensive strength, it’s a move destined to fail. Knowing a players strengths and weaknesses, you need to put them in a position to succeed. Hughes will be a good asset for them, but they need a Tanev to protect him defensively. We also have to take into consideration what’s happened with Covid on the team, nobody looks good there right now.

————————————-

I’d expect Rielly and Muzzin back in next game, I’d like to see the following D lineup, with Holl given a rest.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Dermott.

or even

Sandin Brodie
Muzzin Liljegren
Rielly Dermott

at times. If that works, give them another game like this, but maybe against a stronger team than Vancouver. If such a lineup works, the bottom one, it really gives us some great options for next year, and perhaps some cap flexibility.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Quinn Hughes is actually pretty damn good, and I think when his development hits the 400+ game mark he'll be a consensus top 5 puck moving/offensive D in the league with an OK enough defensive game. As long as he has a solid partner who lets him play his game then he will excel.

We just happen to live in a time of highly talented and intelligent young defensemen with Makar leading the way followed by guys like Fox, Heiskanen, Byram, and to a lesser extent Dahlin. And hopefully Sandin once he gets more games in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sandin is the better 200 foot player compared to Q. Hughes though, despite Hughes being selected 21 picks higher in 2018. Hughes will probably always have the edge in goal scoring, but Sandin plays a tighter and more controlled game in the D zone with much better gap control.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Awesome fight by Simmonds as payback for the Hyman knee. That absolutely needed to happen. It should've happened the game Hyman got injured.

Respect to Edler for taking the fight. He knew he had to. And respect to Simmonds for stopping the moment Edler took a knee.

Moments like these are way fighting can never be removed from the game.

Kind of hard to make the guy answer the bell when he was ejected.......

I am sure Edler had the invitation in warm up, and knew he pretty much no choice. Both Edler and Simmonds probably wanted to get it done as early as possible too - then concentrate on playing the rest of the game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That win along with the Oiler loss should give us more then enough room to comfortably see out the top spot in the division

Yup. First thing I did this morning was check that score, our odds of finishing on top probably went from 90% to 99% or something like that.

So now CAL catching MTL is the only thing I'm still concerned about, I so badly want to play MTL in the 1st round. Hopefully CAL fades away soon.

But a week or so ago we sucked to some, and no point watching :)

And to those same people we could suck again a week from now, at least Leaf Nation is "consistent" in that regard. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Lumberg

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Hughes is a 21 year old dman who has 90 pts in 117 career games and 16 pts in 17 playoff games.

His PPG is almost the same as Marner's through their 1st 2 seasons (0.77 vs. 0.82). Does he need to improve his defensive play? absolutely, but this is a dynamic young player who's produced at an elite level since setting foot in the NHL.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
We had a nice glimpse of how amazing the puck moving on the back end can be with both Lily and Sandin ... smooth crisp passes out of the zone were a thing of beauty.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hughes is a 21 year old dman who has 90 pts in 117 career games and 16 pts in 17 playoff games.

His PPG is almost the same as Marner's through their 1st 2 seasons (0.77 vs. 0.82)
. Does he need to improve his defensive play? absolutely, but this is a dynamic young player who's produced at an elite level since setting foot in the NHL.

That is indeed impressive!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

His PPG is almost the same as Marner's through their 1st 2 seasons (0.77 vs. 0.82). Does he need to improve his defensive play? absolutely, but this is a dynamic young player who's produced at an elite level since setting foot in the NHL.

Will be interesting to see how much he and Pettersson sign for. Doubt anywhere close to Marner, especially with the COVID factor. Timing is everything.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yup. First thing I did this morning was check that score, our odds of finishing on top probably went from 90% to 99% or something like that.

So now CAL catching MTL is the only thing I'm still concerned about, I so badly want to play MTL in the 1st round. Hopefully CAL fades away soon.

And to those same people we could suck again a week from now, at least Leaf Nation is "consistent" in that regard. :laugh::laugh:

I also want Montreal but in a bubble in the states, it won’t be near as electric kind of atmosphere. Imagine during normal times, the buzz around the city especially on game days. Would have been unreal. Too bad.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I also want Montreal but in a bubble in the states, it won’t be near as electric kind of atmosphere. Imagine during normal times, the buzz around the city especially on game days. Would have been unreal. Too bad.

Won't the bubble be in Canada the 1st two rounds? Not that it matters that much ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad