Proposal: Leafs/Wild

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Good, because even as offered the Wild laugh as they quickly hangup the phone... all you're doing is making an already laughable offer even more so.

No need to waste anymore time on any actual conversation for the deal here... so your thoughts on this fit perfectly!

I'm glad they hang up because personally not too interested in giving up two of the pieces that are best able to help us stay competitive in the long term.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm glad they hang up because personally not too interested in giving up two of the pieces that are best able to help us stay competitive in the long term.
Hey, guess what? I'm also glad they hangup, the team trading away the best player in the deal usually regrets it, and Dumba is BY FAR the best player in that deal, and he's only 24yrso!

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
If you look at all corsi stats , numbers , points , assist . everything Dumba is 7-8% better than Gardiner i wouldn't trade Lilegren 1st and Jake gardiner. for a player who is less than 10% of an upgrade statiscially than . Dumba is a solid player don't get me wrong and i'd love to have him. on the leafs and IMO Dumba is a better player than gardiner , and he will get even better in the next 2-3 years he will be a monster but right now its not worth it for us LilG is looking unreal . he had the highest points for a teen Dman in the history of the AHL

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
And we just spent YEARS developing Dumba to the player he is today, and he's still improving, making the top pair now... why would we want to hit the reset button and start over on someone who may or may not ever get to that level?
not saying you should do it, you seemed to be questioning why the Leafs would do it if the hopes on Liljegren were high, so from the Leafs side the answer to that is timing

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
not saying you should do it, you seemed to be questioning why the Leafs would do it if the hopes on Liljegren were high, so from the Leafs side the answer to that is timing
What I was questioning was the OP descriptor that he's a good help to replace Dumba right now. He is not, and you apparently agree with that. If he was, you wouldn't be doing that trade either, as Dumba wouldn't be a need right now.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
What I was questioning was the OP descriptor that he's a good help to replace Dumba right now. He is not, and you apparently agree with that. If he was, you wouldn't be doing that trade either, as Dumba wouldn't be a need right now.
the way I read the OP I don't think that portion was meant to mean right now, it doesn't say that

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If you look at all corsi stats , numbers , points , assist . everything Dumba is 7-8% better than Gardiner i wouldn't trade Lilegren 1st and Jake gardiner. for a player who is less than 10% of an upgrade statiscially than . Dumba is a solid player don't get me wrong and i'd love to have him. on the leafs and IMO Dumba is a better player than gardiner , and he will get even better in the next 2-3 years he will be a monster but right now its not worth it for us LilG is looking unreal . he had the highest points for a teen Dman in the history of the AHL
The proposal wasn’t just Dumba coming from Minnesota.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Liljegren (right handed D to help replace Dumba offence

the way I read the OP I don't think that portion was meant to mean right now, it doesn't say that

You're using that descriptor when trading for a likely playoff team's first pair right D. I don't see any other way to take it than "right now".

The proposal wasn’t just Dumba coming from Minnesota.

Apparently Coyle is just some throw away scrub that is thought of in the same manner as future considerations around here... :laugh:

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Jets fan who watches the Wild play a lot and a secondary Leaf fan.....I have no clue why the Wild would even remotely consider that deal. Gardiner plus unproven futures for two good proven nhl players. Only way Wild consider that trade is if they plan on a full rebuild....which they aren’t.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You're using that descriptor when trading for a likely playoff team's first pair right D. I don't see any other way to take it than "right now".
"in the future" is the other way to take it. You're making a presumption that may or may not be correct, neither of us can know what the OP meant until the OP clairifies

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
To Wild
Gardiner signed extension 5 year 30 million (Minnesota Hometown)
Liljegren (right handed D to help replace Dumba offence)
Johnsson-scoring potential
1st rd pick 2019(lake pick but a good draft)

To Leafs
Dumba -Leafs get their right handed D who can score & play physical
Coyle-Verstaile forward who would help in the playoffs
We already have enough of those.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
"in the future" is the other way to take it. You're making a presumption that may or may not be correct, neither of us can know what the OP meant until the OP clairifies
The Wild have ZERO reason to trade a 24yro top pairing right defense who just signed a long term extension for a 19yro right defense who "may" someday have a shot of possibly being the same several years down the road.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Wild have ZERO reason to trade a 24yro top pairing right defense who just signed a long term extension for a 19yro right defense who "may" someday have a shot of possibly being the same several years down the road.
I haven't suggested otherwise or that you should do the trade. You asked why the Leafs would try to trade for Dumba if we had high hopes for Liljegren, I answered "timing" - that would be the motivation from the Leafs side

I believe the implication of your original post was to say that we don't actually think that much of Liljegren, and that's not true, he's just young

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And Bad drivers from Wisconsin (if you live in the Cities)

Brutal trade for the Wild.

Not sure if you've ever had to deal with some North Dakota drivers. They're worse.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even then it's the wrong sort of offer. Unless there's a center of comparable age and pedigree/performance coming back, there's not much sense in trading Dumba.

Inb4 "Nylander is a C and we'd never trade a young top 6 C/RW who has scored 60 points two seasons in a row for a d-man like Dumba. We'd need something better."

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
just think about the first point you made...you think we'd pay Gardiner the same amount we gave Dumba? I'm not saying Gardiner isn't a decent defenseman but for that kind of money Dumba is faaaaar more valuable. then it just gets worse from there.

I mean, irrespective of who's better, Dumba was an RFA and Gardiner would be a UFA. Can't compare 1:1 like that at all. FWIW I think Gardiner would command at least $0.5M more than that on the open market. For better or worse points are a premium and he scores a lot of them.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can someone tell me why the overreaction from Minny fans? Signed Gardiner and Dumba are pretty much a wash imo. Slight advantage to Dumba for the age and handedness. But I don't see how the value of Dumba skyrockets to make this proposal laughably in favor of the leafs.

Especially since I wouldn't move the leftover package for Coyle.
Neither Dumba nor Coyle are players that the Wild are looking to move on from and recoup "value" for, so the overall "value" is beside the point. Dumba in particular is a young, core player at a valuable position that was just locked up long term. If a team is going to try to pry away a player like that they'll have to offer something that the other team wants more. None of the pieces in the proposal comes close to that. You could take Coyle out of it and it still makes no sense for Minnesota.

None of that implies it's appealing to Toronto either. I'm totally comfortable with the idea that it's a ****show for both teams.

Reactions: SensFactor

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Gardiner and Dumba are a wash in what universe? "Slight" advantage...dumba has more goals than gardiner already career-wise and is 4 years younger, and just guessing here but up to this point he's had much less TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad