Proposal: Leafs/Wild

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I mean, irrespective of who's better, Dumba was an RFA and Gardiner would be a UFA. Can't compare 1:1 like that at all. FWIW I think Gardiner would command at least $0.5M more than that on the open market. For better or worse points are a premium and he scores a lot of them.

I am not saying Gardiner wouldn't make a nice pay day on the open market because that's the nature of things and relative other signings he's "worth" that. But RFAs are there so teams can control young stars for longer (ie afford to pay them less than market value) and Dumba IS already a tier above Gardiner at that price, and very likely will get better considering he's improving every year here so far and is only 24.

Reactions: TaLoN

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Love the descriptor for Liljegren as well.... if he is such good help in replacing Dumba, why are they trying to trade for Dumba?

cause one is 19 and the other is 24? this is a pretty stupid comment.

that said i wouldnt do this from the Leafs side. Why would they want an overrated dman and a meh forward? :s just stay the course and develop

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not sure I move an extended Gardiner for that package alone... Only consideration would be RD vs LD.
:facepalm: Wow.Good thing is Minny wouldn't take the OP's offer let alone just an offensive D-man that can't play in his own zone.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
To Wild
Gardiner signed extension 5 year 30 million (Minnesota Hometown)
Liljegren (right handed D to help replace Dumba offence)
Johnsson-scoring potential
1st rd pick 2019(lake pick but a good draft)

To Leafs
Dumba -Leafs get their right handed D who can score & play physical
Coyle-Verstaile forward who would help in the playoffs

Horribly mis-informed

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
And was nearly a Golden Knight in the expansion draft...

Why do Leaf fans keep bringing this garbage up like it matters? Not all players exposed were equal. Not all teams had enough slots and some good players actually had to be exposed. In fact, that they gave up Haula and Tuch to be able to keep Dumba should show he was valuable.

You forgot the memo from Wild fans......Dumba is worth more than Nylander, it's Marner or Matthews for Matt Dumba hahahahaha.

I'll take the 50 point RHD that just played just under 24 minutes on the season vs the 60 point winger who wants to get paid more

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
And we just spent YEARS developing Dumba to the player he is today, and he's still improving, making the top pair now... why would we want to hit the reset button and start over on someone who may or may not ever get to that level?

because cj19 told you to? duh

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It's a bad proposal from not really addressing the Wild's needs but the package itself holds significant value. Liljgren, Johnnson and a 1st is a very enticing package but the Wild are not rebuilding and they already have Suter + Brodin as LHD.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And was nearly a Golden Knight in the expansion draft...
Almost nothing. The Wild had trades ready to pull the trigger on if Vegas didn't deal, that would have sent Brodin out of town and then Dumba would have been protected. Vegas dealt though, and then the projected list was finalized after it was made completely irrelevant.

Dumba was going no where in any scenario.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why do Leaf fans keep bringing this garbage up like it matters? Not all players exposed were equal. Not all teams had enough slots and some good players actually had to be exposed. In fact, that they gave up Haula and Tuch to be able to keep Dumba should show he was valuable.

I'll take the 50 point RHD that just played just under 24 minutes on the season vs the 60 point winger who wants to get paid more

You do realize that Gardiner outscored Dumba last year...and labelling Dumba who hit 50 points once during a career year a “50 point defenceman” is real rich lol

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You do realize that Gardiner outscored Dumba last year...and labelling Dumba who hit 50 points once during a career year a “50 point defenceman” is real rich lol
So a defenseman who is developing and scores 50 while on the middle pair as a 23yro actually isn't a 50pt defenseman? What we saw was a mirage and he's actually a 20pt defenseman? Getting promoted this season to the top pair is also an illusion I can assume?

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Cool. Dumba is the much better goal scorer, was able to break 50 points at age 23 instead of 27. As well he is a RHD locked up for less than Gardiner is slated to make. Give me Dumba 10 times of out 10 over Gardiner.

As well Dumba possesses an element of physicality that Gardiner just doesn't.

Reactions: Aggie204 and TaLoN

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
If you look at all corsi stats , numbers , points , assist . everything Dumba is 7-8% better than Gardiner i wouldn't trade Lilegren 1st and Jake gardiner. for a player who is less than 10% of an upgrade statiscially than . Dumba is a solid player don't get me wrong and i'd love to have him. on the leafs and IMO Dumba is a better player than gardiner , and he will get even better in the next 2-3 years he will be a monster but right now its not worth it for us LilG is looking unreal . he had the highest points for a teen Dman in the history of the AHL
Yes! AHL stats are back!

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Can someone tell me why the overreaction from Minny fans? Signed Gardiner and Dumba are pretty much a wash imo. Slight advantage to Dumba for the age and handedness. But I don't see how the value of Dumba skyrockets to make this proposal laughably in favor of the leafs.

Especially since I wouldn't move the leftover package for Coyle.
Slight advantage for age? Dumba at 23 just had a better season than Gardiner has ever had. Gardiner is 28 now and on the downside of his career. It's hilarious how Leafs fans will talk about the potential of a 22 year old Kapanen, a 23 year old Johnsson or a 24 year old Connor Brown, but when a 24 year old Matt Dumba comes off a 14 goal, 50 point season and ascends to the Wild's top pairing, all of the sudden potential doesn't mean so much. And we get crap like "Jake Gardiner and Dumba are pretty much a wash." Get real.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I'm not advocating this trade but I love the Wilds (you know those little markets that always have gems us big market hicks couldn't possibly understand their power levels) 50 point blueliners who are infinitely better than Gardiner's useless 50 point season.

I get the contract and age difference but how good would Gardiner be if he had the indie cred of being a puck rusher in a bingo hall playing in front of pure marks.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm not advocating this trade but I love the Wilds (you know those little markets that always have gems us big market hicks couldn't possibly understand their power levels) 50 point blueliners who are infinitely better than Gardiner's useless 50 point season.

I get the contract and age difference but how good would Gardiner be if he had the indie cred of being a puck rusher in a bingo hall playing in front of pure marks.
How drunk are you right now?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Slight advantage for age? Dumba at 23 just had a better season than Gardiner has ever had. Gardiner is 28 now and on the downside of his career. It's hilarious how Leafs fans will talk about the potential of a 22 year old Kapanen, a 23 year old Johnsson or a 24 year old Connor Brown, but when a 24 year old Matt Dumba comes off a 14 goal, 50 point season and ascends to the Wild's top pairing, all of the sudden potential doesn't mean so much. And we get crap like "Jake Gardiner and Dumba are pretty much a wash." Get real.
Perfect example of overreation. They're both 50 pt dman, calm down. I mean would I prefer getting Dumba over Gardiner? Of course, younger, better handedness, same hockey IQ. But using those 14 goals as a platform means very little as I'd still take Rielly over Dumba despite him having less goals.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You forgot the memo from Wild fans......Dumba is worth more than Nylander, it's Marner or Matthews for Matt Dumba hahahahaha.
Never read that in this thread but i did see a quote from a LEAF fan in THIS thread claiming he was Not sure he move an extended Gardiner for Dumba AND coyle. Now that's worth those hahahahaha.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

He's not infinitely better. He's more valuable for all the reasons you listed: he's younger and has more peak years ahead of him, he has the potential to continue getting better (which he has every year that he's been in the league), and he's on a contract with more than a year of term left. He also plays the rarer position, has shown himself to be a better goal scorer and, personally, I'd trust him with tougher defensive minutes than Gardiner.

I don't think many Wild fans hate Gardiner, but the idea that they're close in value because they had a similar number of points last year is silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad