Proposal: Leafs/Wild

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
To Wild
Gardiner signed extension 5 year 30 million (Minnesota Hometown)
Liljegren (right handed D to help replace Dumba offence)
Johnsson-scoring potential
1st rd pick 2019(lake pick but a good draft)

To Leafs
Dumba -Leafs get their right handed D who can score & play physical
Coyle-Verstaile forward who would help in the playoffs

Please stop for the love of ........

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You forgot the memo from Wild fans......Dumba is worth more than Nylander, it's Marner or Matthews for Matt Dumba hahahahaha.
Dumba and Nylander are around the same "value," to the extent that that matters to either team. I'm not sure what argument there is against that other than "OMG, obviously Nylander is in a completely different stratosphere!"

There's no reason for Minnesota to make that trade, though. Maybe there is for Toronto given the need for top-4 RD, Nylander's contract situation and the fact that they're pretty set on forwards, but my guess is that those latter two aren't as much of a concern as they've been made out to be in the past week or two.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
How is Dumba being moved without Nylander going the other way in a proposal is absolutely laughable.

Gardiner a pending UFA is gonna score Matt Dumba???? LOL

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm straight edge, take a lap.
In the same post, you basically said Dumba and Gardiner had the same season, and then said that you get the age difference. So you are contradicting yourself. Goals are more valuable than assists. Only one person gets credit for a goal. Two people can be credited for an assist. I will take a 14 goal, 36 assist season over a 5 goal, 47 assist season.

Then you insult the Wild fanbase and prove your ignorance by saying that the Wild are a little market team and that the X is a bingo hall filled with pure marks. Minnesota is not a little market, certainly not in the NHL. We have the third longest sellout streak in NHL history, behind two teams that aren't the Laffs. We were 7th in attendance last year. Ranked by percentage of capacity we were 2nd behind Chicago. Who had more reason to go to a game last year: Chicago, Toronto or Minnesota fans? Clown-ass fanbase. But please tell me more about who the good defensemen are. We know the Leafs have had so many great ones recently.:rolleyes:

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
In the same post, you basically said Dumba and Gardiner had the same season, and then said that you get the age difference. So you are contradicting yourself. Goals are more valuable than assists. Only one person gets credit for a goal. Two people can be credited for an assist. I will take a 14 goal, 36 assist season over a 5 goal, 47 assist season.

Then you insult the Wild fanbase and prove your ignorance by saying that the Wild are a little market team and that the X is a bingo hall filled with pure marks. Minnesota is not a little market, certainly not in the NHL. We have the third longest sellout streak in NHL history, behind two teams that aren't the Laffs. We were 7th in attendance last year. Ranked by percentage of capacity we were 2nd behind Chicago. Who had more reason to go to a game last year: Chicago, Toronto or Minnesota fans? Clown-ass fanbase. But please tell me more about who the good defensemen are. We know the Leafs have had so many great ones recently.:rolleyes:

Not what I said.

Sold out an arena, BFD. Leafs have over a lifetime waiting list for season tickets.

You're upset, no reason to interact with you.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
He's not infinitely better. He's more valuable for all the reasons you listed: he's younger and has more peak years ahead of him, he has the potential to continue getting better (which he has every year that he's been in the league), and he's on a contract with more than a year of term left. He also plays the rarer position, has shown himself to be a better goal scorer and, personally, I'd trust him with tougher defensive minutes than Gardiner.

I don't think many Wild fans hate Gardiner, but the idea that they're close in value because they had a similar number of points last year is silly.

I get he's more valuable, I'm not arguing that, I'm point how the Leafs are desperate for him given they already have a 50 point middle pairing defenseman in Gardiner.

Wasn't a dig at Wild fans but the overall attitude of HF.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I get he's more valuable, I'm not arguing that, I'm point how the Leafs are desperate for him given they already have a 50 point middle pairing defenseman in Gardiner.

Wasn't a dig at Wild fans but the overall attitude of HF.
"Playing in a bingo hall full of pure marks" is a fine dig, but it's a dig.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So a defenseman who is developing and scores 50 while on the middle pair as a 23yro actually isn't a 50pt defenseman? What we saw was a mirage and he's actually a 20pt defenseman? Getting promoted this season to the top pair is also an illusion I can assume?

So if he gets 30 this season is he a perennial 30 point defenceman again?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Cool. Dumba is the much better goal scorer, was able to break 50 points at age 23 instead of 27. As well he is a RHD locked up for less than Gardiner is slated to make. Give me Dumba 10 times of out 10 over Gardiner.

As well Dumba possesses an element of physicality that Gardiner just doesn't.

The point went right over your head...I’m not arguing that Gardiner is better than Dumba, basing defenceman off point totals just isn’t a good way to evaluate them. It’s like me boasting that Gardiner is amazing based off his.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Dumba and Nylander are around the same "value," to the extent that that matters to either team. I'm not sure what argument there is against that other than "OMG, obviously Nylander is in a completely different stratosphere!"

There's no reason for Minnesota to make that trade, though. Maybe there is for Toronto given the need for top-4 RD, Nylander's contract situation and the fact that they're pretty set on forwards, but my guess is that those latter two aren't as much of a concern as they've been made out to be in the past week or two.

Fair points

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
lets just stick to bashing the proposal, not other teams' fanbase.

Re: any dumba trade proposals, my own personal hope/prediction is Dumba is a gamebreaker. he is the only one on the Wild right now. We should not trade him for anyone who doesn't have similar gamebreaking potential and skill regardless of how solid they are otherwise.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would also say that Dumba is not the player that TOR needs, except for the fact that he is a young RHD. TOR should have no problem scoring, or with their PP. Their problem is more likely to be stopping other teams from scoring on them. Dumba is improving, but that is not his forte.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
lets just stick to bashing the proposal, not other teams' fanbase.

Re: any dumba trade proposals, my own personal hope/prediction is Dumba is a gamebreaker. he is the only one on the Wild right now. We should not trade him for anyone who doesn't have similar gamebreaking potential and skill regardless of how solid they are otherwise.
Dumba and Granlund... Not high end gamebreakers, but 1st line/pair talents nonetheless.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would also say that Dumba is not the player that TOR needs, except for the fact that he is a young RHD. TOR should have no problem scoring, or with their PP. Their problem is more likely to be stopping other teams from scoring on them. Dumba is improving, but that is not his forte.
Spurgeon for Kadri would be about the closest thing that the two teams could do that would arguably make sense for both teams' needs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spurgeon for Kadri would be about the closest thing that the two teams could do that would arguably make sense for both teams' needs.
On paper, maybe, but Spurgeon is highly regarded by Boudreau(and Suter, which, by extension, means Leipold).

Personally, I'd be sick if that trade ever happened.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
On paper, maybe, but Spurgeon is highly regarded by Boudreau(and Suter, which, by extension, means Leipold).

Personally, I'd be sick if that trade ever happened.
Maybe Boudreau also holds 30 goal scoring centers in high regards too. I don't really care who Suter likes.

I'd be aye-okay. In two years we could be without Koivu and Staal. Someone would need to fill those roles...

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Only thing more laughable than this trade proposal, are the loonies saying the value favours Minnesota or that Gardiner and Dumba are pretty much a wash.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Gardiner and Dumba are not a "wash" in terms of value. The 4 year age gap plus the improvement each year by Dumba provides quite a decent gap between the two. Dumba has steadily improved each season since becoming a full time NHLer. Gardiner hit 50 points once at age 27/28 and hovered over 30 points for basically his first 4 seasons in the NHL. Dumba's potential is huge.

Would leaf fans trade Marner for Granlund? They both are 65-70 point players right now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Gardiner is the definition of an empty stats guy. Nobody is going to want to pay him big bucks. Someobdy will but only because they have no other alternatives. Gotta love the condescending Leafs fans acting like Minnesota is a backwater town with no hockey culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad