Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - MOD WARNING POST #816

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The rust factor should hurt offensive hands and defensive sharpness.

The one thing it shouldn't effect much at all though is out and out speed. Raw speed should in theory be an advantage in a rusty scenario before everyone gets dialed in and working in synch.
Speed is great if you have the hands to match.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I have faith in the leafs offense but for me the biggest factor is whether Freddie will be steady or not.
If Freddy goes limp and has a bad start in game 1 I think in a short series Keefe will pull him ... thank god we got Soup ... as it may take a couple games for skill guys to get their hands back ... i think we are going to have to have decent tending to win in games 1 and 2 ... if BJ's try to jam things down out throat like they did to Tampa Clifford will change that scenario for us ... a good rag dolling of Foligno will help

Reactions: ACC1224

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A short series favours skill over will.
No, the opposite actually. Shorter series lean towards upsets.

A long layoff favours offense over defense, as it generally takes a teams defense a while to catch up to the offenses early on and there are more mistakes and breakdowns early leading to higher scoring games as a result. So even strong defensive teams don't hold that same advantage of shutting down teams as a result. So this series should be viewed therefore more like what to expect from the 1st 10 games of an NHL season, rather than the last 10 when teams are fine tuned and preparing for the playoffs.
Yup

Matthews is a quick starter, as he had 7 goals after Leafs 1st 5 games this year.. Even in his rookie season he had 4 goals in his 1st NHL game. So he doesn't need much in the form or opportunity if he is on his game to become a major factor in the outcome.
And Andersen and Marner are slow starters, so how does that play in to the series? Who starts well v. Poor for CLB?

These are the kinds of factors that I think can lead to a Leafs win, even though overall CBJ system and style is not very favourable to Leafs preferred style of play, and generally would cause the Leafs more trouble under normal circumstances.
Worth noting there's never been more time to plan for a series than right now. Teams have months to prepare and gameplan for a specific opponent.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Worth noting there's never been more time to plan for a series than right now. Teams have months to prepare and gameplan for a specific opponent.

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread as well as factor to consider... You never know your opponent in advance, but now they basically given coaches 3 months advance notice to prepare for a best of 5 series. Toss out 70 game results and come up with a game plan to win 3 games to make this years playoffs, essentially a best of 5 regular season to decide if you qualify or not.

Coaches can watch as much game film and come up with all sorts of strategies to defend against specific players, PP formations etc.

I can picture Torts coming up with strategy where he will take a big 2-way physical centre like Boone Jenner and assign him as a spy to Auston Matthews and sit in his back pocket and shadow him all over the ice and engage him physically whenever he touches the puck in a shutdown role. Then will Keefe anticipate this and have plans in case to try and free him up, or will Matthews be prepared to fight through something like that, as an example of what could hypothetically happen under these conditions.

This twist certainly puts coaching at the forefront, with this much prep time to add the unpredictability of the outcomes of series. Its a reason why I give CBJ the advantage here in coaching where past experience will be beneficial. Keefe has likely watched last years TB vs Columbus series start to finish numerous times to gauge his opponents system and strategy as what to expect this year.

This also then extends to player and prep work where Matthews can in advance watch every single goal that was scored against CBJ goalies this year and know their weaknesses and strengths and even their tells and tendencies to know how best to beat them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I like our game-breakers just a bit too much for this series.
Teams can vary in offence and defence in the postseason but elite players generally perform well historically.
Matthews has willed this team all season, I believe in him and the supporting cast as well.

Anything can happen esp considering the circumstances, but if we band together we can do it.
The talent is overwhelming.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I can picture Torts coming up with strategy where he will take a big 2-way physical centre like Boone Jenner and assign him as a spy to Auston Matthews and sit in his back pocket and shadow him all over the ice and engage him physically whenever he touches the puck in a shutdown role. Then will Keefe anticipate this and have plans in case to try and free him up, or will Matthews be prepared to fight through something like that, as an example of what could hypothetically happen under these conditions.

I can foresee this situation, but if I'm AM34 I wouldn't worry about Boone Jenner shutting me down. If anything, Jenner is a serious threat as a winger on the forecheck, which would be a concern for Barrie, Holl, Ceci in particular.

Reactions: zeke and Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I've mentioned this earlier in the thread as well as factor to consider... You never know your opponent in advance, but now they basically given coaches 3 months advance notice to prepare for a best of 5 series. Toss out 70 game results and come up with a game plan to win 3 games to make this years playoffs, essentially a best of 5 regular season to decide if you qualify or not.

Coaches can watch as much game film and come up with all sorts of strategies to defend against specific players, PP formations etc.

This twist certainly puts coaching at the forefront, with this much prep time to add the unpredictability of the outcomes of series. Its a reason why I give CBJ the advantage here in coaching where past experience will be beneficial. Keefe has likely watched last years TB vs Columbus series start to finish numerous times to gauge his opponents system and strategy as what to expect this year.

This also then extends to player and prep work where Matthews can in advance watch every single goal that was scored against CBJ goalies this year and know their weaknesses and strengths and even their tells and tendencies to know how best to beat them.

Boone Jenner shadowing Matthews all series is a great matchup for us. If you don't agree, you should watch more Blue Jackets. Jenner is a bigger menace on the wing.

I can foresee this situation, but if I'm AM34 I wouldn't worry about Boone Jenner shutting me down. If anything, Jenner is a serious threat as a winger on the forecheck, which would be a concern for Barrie, Holl, Ceci in particular.

Beat me to it.

Reactions: zeke

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I’d recommend checking out Hockey Canada’s webpage on coaching clinics, sign up it wouldn’t hurt.

During a Pandemic this can be done virtually, to help understand 1-2-2 transition into the neutral zone trap or using forecheck to set up the neutral zone trap with back pressure and angles. Here are the basics online coaching strategies made easy to understand this. These being ideal systems to help a less skilled team take advantage through systems to slow down a more skilled opponent. Columbus a lower skilled but hard working team is a master at this tactic to slow down higher skilled teams.

Neutral Zone Trap Explanation

Neutral Zone Trap Clarification

1-2-2 Forechecking System into Trap

More examples on the website to instruct on the 2-1-2 or 2-3 press aggressive forecheck, when you want to use physicality to control an opposition Dzone breakout during certain times in a game.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
For someone to suggest that an aggressive forecheck and a defensive trap strategy can't coexist in the same game, and it must be either/or from start to finish can't possible understand the topic discussion when these terms are being discussed, even though it might seem like basic hockey knowledge to most.

Stawmanning bullshit. Ridiculous behaviour from a mod.

They can't do both at the same time. They can't simultaneously smother our forwards in the neutral zone and punish our D. They can do each at different times in the same game, but not at the same time.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Stawmanning bullshit. Ridiculous behaviour from a mod.

They can't do both at the same time. They can't simultaneously smother our forwards in the neutral zone and punish our D. They can do each at different times in the same game, but not at the same time.

Well that’s obvious since there are 3 zones, where different game plans exist

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

This whole line of discussion exists because the thread was full of people terrified that our defense couldn't handle the forecheck and that our forwards couldn't handle the trap, so we're screwed all over the ice, which basically insinuated that the jackets forwards were so fast that they could be in two places at once.

Trap/forecheck isn't neutral zone vs. offensive zone strategy. To execute well both use all 5 skaters over both zones. They're two sides of the same coin, and that coin is puck retrieval. Just depends where on the ice you want the battle to happen and how much you're willing to risk to do so.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Columbus is also known for their aggressive forecheck ie 2-3 press where they can use physicality and hard work to create Ozone turnovers. Players like Foligno (over 200 hits or 10 hits/60) and Boone Jenner, over 100 hits or 5 hits/60 love to finish checks and create turnovers. This is a strategy that we see used against our Leafs by many teams resulting in Dzone breakdowns and giveaways, while our team is pinned deep in their Dzone.

Here is that executed via diagram and also how teams transition in and out of different formations at different times and even different schemes by lines throughout the course of a game..

2-3 Press Forecheck

This is one thing I think Keefe is going to have to brace for and anticipate is coming because last playoffs Columbus had 6 forwards all record double digit hits/60 each game. This is what TB skilled forwards did not do well against last year, and our Leafs also are not well equipped to deal with an aggressive physical forecheck either.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If the leafs have trouble penetrating the Ozone, then they will need to try and dump and chase, to get around it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Columbus is also known for their aggressive forecheck ie 2-3 press where they can use physicality and hard work to create Ozone turnovers. Players like Foligno (over 200 hits or 10 hits/60) and Boone Jenner, over 100 hits or 5 hits/60 love to finish checks and create turnovers. This is a strategy that we see used against our Leafs by many teams resulting in Dzone breakdowns and giveaways, while our team is pinned deep in their Dzone.

Here is that executed via diagram and also how teams transition in and out of different formations at different times and even different schemes by lines throughout the course of a game..

2-3 Press Forecheck

This is one thing I think Keefe is going to have to brace for and anticipate is coming because last playoffs Columbus had 6 forwards all record double digit hits/60 each game. This is what TB skilled forwards did not do well against last year, and our Leafs also are not well equipped to deal with an aggressive physical forecheck either.

When BJ's throw a 2-3 man aggressive forecheck then tire them out .. D to D and high and hard up da glass ... rinse and repeat ... once in a while we will catch them for a 3 on 2 or a 2 on 1 ... but I don't think they will do it often ... i think we have a much more difficult time with an aggressive neutral zone trap ... and again we need to switch things up on them and turn and Euro a few times and dump in a few times and maybe go 3 guys on one side of ice and bull rush a few times

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We have to out work and out skate Columbus.System can be debated until your brain falls out but its all about work ethic. For our young team though, its about being hungry and wanting it more and putting it all together this playoff to see just how good they can be all over the ice under all circumstances that the game throws at you.
Are they warriors and sick of going out first round or are they going to pick their game up to a new level of potential dominance by playing a complete game to go along with a elite amount of offensive game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the leafs have trouble penetrating the Ozone, then they will need to try and dump and chase, to get around it.

This is where players like Hyman and Mikheyev on the top 2 lines LWers or maybe Kappy on the 3rd will be tasked with charging into the corner to try and regain puck possession.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know how much stock you put into something like this but in the two regular season games against Columbus this season, Matthews had a total of 3 points when playing them.

On October 4, 2019 he had 1 goal.

On October 21, 2019 he had 1 goal and 1 assist.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

2-3 Press Forecheck

3 man dominant forecheck PLUS a shutdown trap system.

That sounds amazing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
When BJ's throw a 2-3 man aggressive forecheck then tire them out .. D to D and high and hard up da glass ... rinse and repeat ... once in a while we will catch them for a 3 on 2 or a 2 on 1 ... but I don't think they will do it often ... i think we have a much more difficult time with an aggressive neutral zone trap ... and again we need to switch things up on them and turn and Euro a few times and dump in a few times and maybe go 3 guys on one side of ice and bull rush a few times
Yep as long as they are willing to take a hit to make a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig