Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - MOD WARNING POST #816

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't doubt the BJs backcheck well.

The fact remains that a heavy forecheck cannot be a trap.

I’d recommend checking out Hockey Canada’s webpage on coaching clinics, sign up it wouldn’t hurt.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You quoted my post and replied with something , that is not in the post lol.

Getting back on Defense, is TEAM Defense which every coach harps on, but not all players do it.
Read Mess’s eloquent thoughts above.

Game script alone based on the game score and time on clock will cause teams to dynamically change course within a game and adjust systems and strategies and play accordingly.

If Columbus is down by 2 goals in the 3rd you can bet to see a lot of pucks dumped in and a heavy aggressive forecheck to try and generate offense, and if they're ahead by 2 goals protecting a lead they're going to sit back and focus on defense and clog up the neutral zone when goal prevention is the main focus.

For someone to suggest that an aggressive forecheck and a defensive trap strategy can't coexist in the same game, and it must be either/or from start to finish can't possible understand the topic discussion when these terms are being discussed, even though it might seem like basic hockey knowledge to most.

Hockey has 3 Zones the Ozone, the neutral zone between blue-lines and a teams own Dzone. Depending on puck possession, all teams deploy unique strategies for both attacking and defending those zones throughout the course of a game. It can even be a different strategy depending on line matching and the player personnel on the ice at any time if your on attack or are sitting back and defending.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
If Columbus is down by 2 goals in the 3rd you can bet to see a lot of pucks dumped in and a heavy aggressive forecheck to try and generate offense, and if they're ahead by 2 goals protecting a lead they're going to sit back and focus on defense and clog up the neutral zone when goal prevention is the main focus.

You mean just like every other team in the league? Thanks for the earth shattering systematic break down.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Absolutely you can, teams don’t employ one tactic.
Ferocious forecheck when deep in leafs zone, f1 and f2, with f3 high in case they don’t gain possession.
if leafs gain possession then switch to a disciplined trap, jeez that’s not rocket science.

Also huge back pressure from forwards.
A 2 man forecheck is hardly ferocious. Even the leafs have often implemented a 2 man forecheck, and it's hardly overwhelming.

On a larger note though, if the leafs gain the puck in their own end and there's two forechecking BJ's down below the goal line, it is literally impossible to play an effective trap with 3 men back.

More than likely, the leafs send 3 guys out the zone on a break, where they're absolutely lethal.

If Columbus plays an OZone 2-1-2, its just as likely to burn them as it is to help them.

Again, there's no way they can employ a 2-1-2 and still run a trap. Toronto's just too fast for that.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Absolutely you can, teams don’t employ one tactic.
Ferocious forecheck when deep in leafs zone, f1 and f2, with f3 high in case they don’t gain possession.
if leafs gain possession then switch to a disciplined trap, jeez that’s not rocket science

Also huge back pressure from forwards.
No, just no

Teams can swap styles and change up the gameplan, but you're not running a heavy forecheck with high pressure that immediately turns to a passive trap once your heavy forecheck is beat. You can play two hard with a high man, but that's not a "disciplined trap"

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Leafs take the Bruins to two game 7s in a row -why are we worried they are going to fall to an inferior team to them?

Edit: are we underrating thr Leafs too much? Overeating the Jackets? Both?
That’s bc as Leafsnation, we understand that good things will never happen to us. Lol.
Like some of us doubted if not picking Laine over AM was a mistake. But somehow believe the notion that Marner can play at C and will grow(according to rumours) like his brother who is 6’3 and 210pounds.
Or want to run Willie out of town for missing a check but continue to believe Bracco can fill in Willie’s spot next to AM.
Or how every young players can improve but Hyman will never improve as a player.....
We are a pessimistic bunch. Lol.

For real, is the team practising together now, or just doing individual work

Reactions: The Cobra

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Should be a good series. Teams were dead even this season. Talent wise, I favour Columbus a bit, especially defensively.

Columbus in 5 in what should be an exciting play in, even though both teams are middle of the road clubs.

Reactions: Blowfish

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The Leafs take the Bruins to two game 7s in a row -why are we worried they are going to fall to an inferior team to them?

Leaf fans have watched so many heartbreaks and collapses that many expect it no matter what now.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Like some of us doubted if not picking Laine over AM was a mistake.
The only people saying it was a mistake were anti-Leafs trolls and the Finnish crew who were adamant Laine was a future 70+ goal 120+ point player.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
The best part is many would consider the Bruins a better, more skilled version of CBJ as well.....

MUCH more skilled. A world of difference more skilled.

That being said, it's NHL hockey . . . a few loose plays, a hot or leaky goalie, a few lucky snipes . . . it's easy enough to imagine a 5 game series going sideways even with the Leafs possibly playing decently.

But that's why we watch, and that's why the NHL playoffs is so captivating . . . it'll be a closely matched series for at least 3 of the 4 games ;)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What happens in a prior year doesn’t have any bearing on what will happen this year. The Leafs have been terribly inconsistent this year and many see a team like Columbus as the type of team that could cause them trouble.
I believe the Leafs skill will win out. What some see as underrating others may see as reality.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What happens in a prior year doesn’t have any bearing on what will happen this year. The Leafs have been terribly inconsistent this year and many see a team like Columbus as the type of team that could cause them trouble.
I believe the Leafs skill will win out. What some see as underrating others may see as reality.

A short series favours skill over will.

A long layoff favours offense over defense, as it generally takes a teams defense a while to catch up to the offenses early on and there are more mistakes and breakdowns early leading to higher scoring games as a result. So even strong defensive teams don't hold that same advantage of shutting down teams as a result. So this series should be viewed therefore more like what to expect from the 1st 10 games of an NHL season, rather than the last 10 when teams are fine tuned and preparing for the playoffs.

Matthews is a quick starter, as he had 7 goals after Leafs 1st 5 games this year.. Even in his rookie season he had 4 goals in his 1st NHL game. So he doesn't need much in the form or opportunity if he is on his game to become a major factor in the outcome.

These are the kinds of factors that I think can lead to a Leafs win, even though overall CBJ system and style is not very favourable to Leafs preferred style of play, and generally would cause the Leafs more trouble under normal circumstances.

Reactions: The Cobra

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is the classic eye test fallacy, for the record.
Well I was sitting right behind net and I saw and heard quite a few of illegal plays ... I heard our Leaf defenders especially Rielly talking to refs and asking them repeatedly why they were letting da elbows go ... I think a lot of your guys really need to see da game and its speed right at ice level to fully understand things ... and for da record da nhl trackers in Boston are complete homers and Paul in fact should have been replaced many many years ago ... i would not trust him for da most simple of tasks

Reactions: zeke

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A short series favours skill over will.

A long layoff favours offense over defense, as it generally takes a teams defense a while to catch up to the offenses early on and there are more mistakes and breakdowns early leading to higher scoring games as a result. So even strong defensive teams don't hold that same advantage of shutting down teams as a result. So this series should be viewed therefore more like what to expect from the 1st 10 games of an NHL season, rather than the last 10 when teams are fine tuned and preparing for the playoffs.

Matthews is a quick starter, as he had 7 goals after Leafs 1st 5 games this year.. Even in his rookie season he had 4 goals in his 1st NHL game. So he doesn't need much in the form or opportunity if he is on his game to become a major factor in the outcome.

These are the kinds of factors that I think can lead to a Leafs win, even though overall CBJ system and style is not very favourable to Leafs preferred style of play, and generally would cause the Leafs more trouble under normal circumstances.
I would think the layoff would favour defense but really this playoff is new ground. It's hard to predict what will happen.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I would think the layoff would favour defense but really this playoff is new ground. It's hard to predict what will happen.

The rust factor should hurt offensive hands and defensive sharpness.

The one thing it shouldn't effect much at all though is out and out speed. Raw speed should in theory be an advantage in a rusty scenario before everyone gets dialed in and working in synch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad