Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Leafs are likely playing in Edmonton you do realize right? The NHL practically confirmed that the West is playing here and the East is playing over there so there is no home advantage of any kind.
They have really gone right over the top with this equal opportunity B.S to the point that it absolutely made a mockery of the draft and the playoffs too. Points % averaged over the full season would have made sense from the beginning and they could already have had a draft done etc. This is the epitome of overkill sensitivity trying to leave nothing open for criticism. So here i am criticizing there uncriticizable :). Damn who cares where the play and if they do then i want the stanley cup final played Peru or Cuda, somewhere neutral lol

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Corona might have a say into who wins it all. At least 3 Avs, a couple of Lightning and Matty have acaquired the virus. Hopefully Matty has no ill effects of the virus on his cardio but I have a feeling those who are coming off a bout of the virus will not be 100%. We shall see soon.
They will hide the injury like they always do in the playoffs ;)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs Training Camp Preview Maple Leafs training camp preview

I see foligno was yapping they can shut us down like theydid T-Bay last year in this article. He offered what they did to them as “ proof “ they can do it to us. We need to sweep them 23 defense they have over there i guess :)

Here is our last game of the season beating Tampa Bay also Tampa Bay Lightning - Toronto Maple Leafs - March 10th, 2020
Foligno once said how the Leafs don't defend well below the hash marks, so it's not the first time he's opened his mouth about them or how they play.

Blue Jackets’ Foligno: Maple Leafs don’t defend well below hash marks - Sportsnet.ca

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Robertson wins a chance, does he go top line with Matthews and Marner. I think this could happen. That moves Mikheyev down a line because hyman will be with JT and Willy.

Then you have Clifford,Engvall,Spezza and Gauthier on the fourth line because Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Kapanen are the third line.

Gauthier might not get in the lineup here. Spezza would get the fourth line center over Gauthier and its either Engvall or Goat out because Clifford is our Only gumption onnthe fourth. Engvall won’t likely be out.

Doesn’t look good for Gauthier. I hope he is happy about being a nice guy on the ice when he loses a career because he won’t laybthe body on and get his nose dirty. Poor kid, I don’t know why a player would let that happen to them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
They have not even faced Keefe then either. Let's see how they match up against a far more structured, fully healthy defense.
I was thinking that too. Matthews wasn’t a 200 ft beast then either and Marner hadn’t said then that the trophy he would like best to win is the selke either :)

Reactions: Auston Escobar

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They have not even faced Keefe then either. Let's see how they match up against a far more structured, fully healthy defense.
Great point about Keefe being involved this time.

Plus unlike in their two regular season games, this time Toronto will have Hyman and Dermott who didn't play against them because of their offseason surgery's.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Robertson wins a chance, does he go top line with Matthews and Marner. I think this could happen. That moves Mikheyev down a line because hyman will be with JT and Willy.

Then you have Clifford,Engvall,Spezza and Gauthier on the fourth line because Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Kapanen are the third line.

Gauthier might not get in the lineup here. Spezza would get the fourth line center over Gauthier and its either Engvall or Goat out because Clifford is our Only gumption onnthe fourth. Engvall won’t likely be out.

Doesn’t look good for Gauthier. I hope he is happy about being a nice guy on the ice when he loses a career because he won’t laybthe body on and get his nose dirty. Poor kid, I don’t know why a player would let that happen to them.

Depends. Gauthier is better defensively and is probably a better option if you want to use the 4th line to grind down teams. Gauthier and Engvall are 6'5" and well over 200lbs each and can use their bodies to be a real handful for guys in tight. Then of course Clifford as well.

Spezza has the experience, better offensive ability and the right-hand spot to use at center. So if they want that, then he is the choice. However more than likely Robertson is not getting in the lineup. He's 18, with no pro experience, and is very undersized. Unless he really forces Keefe's hand in training camp, he's likely the 10th extra man behind Malgin, Petan, Korshkov, Brooks, Aberg, Marincin, Liljegren, Sandin and Rosen. He just took Agostino and Bracco's spot as an extra, but he's likely nothing more. Both Spezza and Gauthier are likely in the lineup full time.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Great point about Keefe being involved this time.

Plus unlike in their two regular season games, this time Toronto will have Hyman and Dermott who didn't play against them because of their offseason surgery's.

No Johnsson, but they also need to go up against Engvall and Clifford as well. Engvall is a big dude who will go to the dirty areas, and Clifford is Clifford (although we could have just put Korshkov in there and likely achieved the same effect). Also Barrie is a lot better than he was back then too.

Their goalies have improved, but our entire team is a lot better.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
They have really gone right over the top with this equal opportunity B.S to the point that it absolutely made a mockery of the draft and the playoffs too. Points % averaged over the full season would have made sense from the beginning and they could already have had a draft done etc. This is the epitome of overkill sensitivity trying to leave nothing open for criticism. So here i am criticizing there uncriticizable :). Damn who cares where the play and if they do then i want the stanley cup final played Peru or Cuda, somewhere neutral lol
Agreed. I'm just sick of the leagues current philosophy of parity over everything.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Depends. Gauthier is better defensively and is probably a better option if you want to use the 4th line to grind down teams. Gauthier and Engvall are 6'5" and well over 200lbs each and can use their bodies to be a real handful for guys in tight. Then of course Clifford as well.

Spezza has the experience, better offensive ability and the right-hand spot to use at center. So if they want that, then he is the choice. However more than likely Robertson is not getting in the lineup. He's 18, with no pro experience, and is very undersized. Unless he really forces Keefe's hand in training camp, he's likely the 10th extra man behind Malgin, Petan, Korshkov, Brooks, Aberg, Marincin, Liljegren, Sandin and Rosen. He just took Agostino and Bracco's spot as an extra, but he's likely nothing more. Both Spezza and Gauthier are likely in the lineup full time.
Robertson is so good and I’m sure not many in the Nhl can shoot a puck like him. Energy, never quits. If his name was Lafrenier he would be seen different. The kid will be in the lineup against Columbus.
I will go even further and say he will be a force. This kid is good ha.

I will leave it at that for now and give you a nudge later on in the playoffs about him :)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No Johnsson, but they also need to go up against Engvall and Clifford as well. Engvall is a big dude who will go to the dirty areas, and Clifford is Clifford (although we could have just put Korshkov in there and likely achieved the same effect). Also Barrie is a lot better than he was back then too.

Their goalies have improved, but our entire team is a lot better.
Clifford also has 2 Stanley Cups with Los Angeles and that's something none of the Blue Jackets players on their roster currently have.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I dont think Dubas would have made the statements to the media or even put him through the public attention fo thr callup without him getting icetime

Imo hes well ahead of most of those guys you mentioned like Korshkov or Malgin especially on a pure skill level

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Are they really doing that? They do realise the time diff between East Coast and West Coast. In order to max., ratings, the start time for Eastern teams playing in Edmonton would need to be like 10am in the morning for a noon start time in the East. And Western teams playing in TO will have a game at 10pm in order to have a 7pst start time.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Are they really doing that? They do realise the time diff between East Coast and West Coast. In order to max., ratings, the start time for Eastern teams playing in Edmonton would need to be like 10am in the morning for a noon start time in the East. And Western teams playing in TO will have a game at 10pm in order to have a 7pst start time.

Thats a sure way to guarantee less people watching them bumble thru this "playoffs"

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I dont think Dubas would have made the statements to the media or even put him through the public attention fo thr callup without him getting icetime

Imo hes well ahead of most of those guys you mentioned like Korshkov or Malgin especially on a pure skill level

Well neither of them are getting into the lineup either unless there are injuries.

He just said he was invited. He said nothing about him playing at all. It is good experience for him to just be around the team and practicing, just like Woll was around last year but never played. There is a huge gap between that and playing playoff games with zero prior NHL (or pro) experience.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Robertson going straight from CHL to nhl hockey is a huge jump. 1st overall picks typically struggle going from CHL to nhl regular season. Playoffs are an entire new level of hockey than the regular season.

We all want to see Robertson...but I think it is unlikely.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Robertson going straight from CHL to nhl hockey is a huge jump. 1st overall picks typically struggle going from CHL to nhl regular season. Playoffs are an entire new level of hockey than the regular season.

We all want to see Robertson...but I think it is unlikely.

I agree... and I don't think he'll play... but I think some players are going to be really off because of all this.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I just heard west teams in Edmonton and East teams in Toronto. Which made sense from the beginning.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Absolutely when the Avs got to the playoffs he put them on his back and excelled. Im hoping he does the same and finds that extra gear or two.

SK is just the man to make that happen.
He had 32 points in the 47 games with Keefe i believe. Way up there anyways so already good with keefe. What got missed possibly is how much he improved defensively to go along with them numbers with keefe. Almost like his entire game found some kind of confidence and synchronicity. He was really good, really good after the change of coacking

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well neither of them are getting into the lineup either unless there are injuries.

He just said he was invited. He said nothing about him playing at all. It is good experience for him to just be around the team and practicing, just like Woll was around last year but never played. There is a huge gap between that and playing playoff games with zero prior NHL (or pro) experience.

Id agree nothing is set in stone but st this point is be surprised i hhe doesnt get at least 1-2 games against the Jackets.

I just dont see a guy like say the Goat as a lock unless they need him for centee
The atttaction of Robertson as a boost to the teams depth scoring will be too great toe them to pass up, especially against a weaker opponent in that first round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad