Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe it's a matter of semantics. I'm not too disappointed in the way they played so from that standpoint, OK I guess. I just like numbers and to me the numbers say that we were almost 80% to win at least one of those 3 times so in that sense, I think it's completely fair to say that we've underachieved. Anyhow no big deal, this team is very different from the one that lost to WSH so it doesn't really matter anyway. And IMHO saying we've underachieved is certainly a helluva lot more reasonable then saying we're "a great playoff team".
I definitely think there is middle ground in there somewhere between the 2 that fits. :)

All will be forgotten by just winning a couple of rounds.....I do have a good feeling that if this ever gets underway (a big if), that the Leafs could do some damage.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
you think this is going to happen? im still not sure, esp when that poll came out yesterday that 75 percent of players do not want to play.....

I think the biggest hurdle will be that the NHL cannot guarantee the safety of its players. Returning to work will come with its inherent risks and for some players that may not be palpable, as their bodies are their means of income. Keep in mind, these are million-dollar athletes- everyday joes like you and I must continue working despite the risks posed to us.

I feel like it could happen but you may see players opt-out and that's apparently their choice, according to talk radio here in Toronto.

Reactions: rubous

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I definitely think there is middle ground in there somewhere between the 2 that fits. :)

All will be forgotten by just winning a couple of rounds.....I do have a good feeling that if this ever gets underway (a big if), that the Leafs could do some damage.

I think we could go far but then again, I suppose you could say the same for many teams. So much depends on how the goaltending is, we'll see.

you think this is going to happen? im still not sure, esp when that poll came out yesterday that 75 percent of players do not want to play.....

75% wow! I agree that it is far from certain that this thing is happening. And it's strange to think what the games will be like if the players don't want to play. I suspect that if and when the puck drops, the'll play as hard as ever but who knows.

Reactions: kb and rubous

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Of course they don't.
They haven't played since March. It's now July, and the weather this summer has been amazing.. they wanna go out and enjoy it and party. They definitely not afraid of covid. Cuz I know they wouldn't be just sitting in their homes if hockey was was cancelled lol

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Of course they don't.
They haven't played since March. It's now July, and the weather this summer has been amazing.. they wanna go out and enjoy it and party. They definitely not afraid of covid. Cuz I know they wouldn't be just sitting in their homes if hockey was was cancelled lol

I'm not sure they've thought this through. Perhaps if they were told in no uncertain terms that not having the playoffs this season would have a massive negative impact on their future earnings, the poll results would be different.

I love hockey but NHL players aren't always the brightest bulbs in the proverbial chandelier.

Reactions: bax and Metroid

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm surprised that nhl.com didn't rank Rielly or Barrie in the top 16 among defenseman playing in the qualifiers, however they ranked Cale Makar #8 and Quinn Hughes #12. Hell they ranked Shea Weber #10.

Super 16: Top defensemen playing in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

Rielly was not having a good season this year and injuries help derail some of this play as he tried to play through some issues. However Rielly did get some HM votes here finishing #21 ranked.

Others receiving points: Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets, 32; Miro Heiskanen, Dallas Stars, 31; Torey Krug, Boston Bruins, 24; Ivan Provorov, Philadelphia Flyers, 16; Morgan Rielly, Toronto Maple Leafs, 11; Oscar Klefbom, Edmonton Oilers, 10; Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks, 9; Shea Theodore, Vegas Golden Knights, 8; Nate Schmidt, Vegas Golden Knights, 5; Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins, 5; Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes, 2; Josh Morrissey, Winnipeg Jets, 2; Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers, 1

I know you get upset when people mention our opposition in the this series, so its not intended to offend you but Seth Jones is ranked #6 (from the link you provided);

6. Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets

Total points: 124
Season stats:
30 points (six goals, 24 assists) in 56 games
Career playoff stats: 20 points (four goals, 16 assists) in 27 games
Jones was on pace for a fourth straight season of at least 40 points before fracturing his ankle Feb. 8. He is expected to be healthy when the Blue Jackets reconvene for training camp, which will put his 25:17 of ice time per game back in their lineup. Jones scored nine points (three goals, six assists) in 10 playoff games last season.

and Werenski finished #17 and just outside the list and a little ahead of Rielly #21.

The CBJ dman pairing of Jones -- Werenski in this series is going to be among the more difficult obstacles standing in Leafs way of making the playoffs.

PS. I don't believe that Barrie not getting a single vote should be a surprise, and I'd have Muzzin ranked ahead of him on our Leafs. IMHO

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly was not having a good season this year and injuries help derail some of this play as he tried to play through some issues. Howver Rielly did get some HM votes here finishing #21 ranked.

Others receiving points: Zach Werenski, Columbus Blue Jackets, 32; Miro Heiskanen, Dallas Stars, 31; Torey Krug, Boston Bruins, 24; Ivan Provorov, Philadelphia Flyers, 16; Morgan Rielly, Toronto Maple Leafs, 11; Oscar Klefbom, Edmonton Oilers, 10; Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks, 9; Shea Theodore, Vegas Golden Knights, 8; Nate Schmidt, Vegas Golden Knights, 5; Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins, 5; Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Arizona Coyotes, 2; Josh Morrissey, Winnipeg Jets, 2; Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers, 1

I know you get upset when people mention our opposition in the this series, so its not intended to offend you but Seth Jones is ranked #6 (from the link you provided);

Season stats:
Jones was on pace for a fourth straight season of at least 40 points before fracturing his ankle Feb. 8. He is expected to be healthy when the Blue Jackets reconvene for training camp, which will put his 25:17 of ice time per game back in their lineup. Jones scored nine points (three goals, six assists) in 10 playoff games last season.

and Werenski finished #17 and just outside the list and a little ahead of Rielly #21.

The CBJ dman pairing of Jones -- Werenski in this series is going to be among the more difficult obstacles standing in Leafs way of making the playoffs.

PS. I don't believe that Barrie not getting a single vote should be a surprise. IMHO
I thought Barrie might have got some votes because of his 2019 playoffs for Colorado when he had 1 goal, 7 assists and 8 points in 12 games played.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to mention that I'm not upset or offended you mentioned why they ranked Jones #6 and I saw that before posting the link. I just don't see why we have to mention the Blue Jackets in a positive way. I understand they are the Maple Leafs opponents, however like I said before on their board I didn't see their fans saying what a threat Auston Matthews can be against them.

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I forgot to mention that I'm not upset or offended you mentioned why they ranked Jones #6 and I saw that before posting the link. I just don't see why we have to mention the Blue Jackets in a positive way. I understand they are the Maple Leafs opponents, however like I said before on their board I didn't see their fans saying what a threat Auston Matthews can be against them.

The Blue Jackets better be both very nervous and be prepared for Matthews or he has the ability to single-handedly end their season, because of his goal scoring prowess and their lack of offense to let him score prolifically against them.

If there was a top 16 forwards list (similar to this Dman one), I'd be surprised if Matthews wasn't among the top 5 or 6 forwards. :)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Blue Jackets better be both very nervous and be prepared for Matthews or he has the ability to single-handedly end their season, because of his goal scoring prowess and their lack of offense to let him score prolifically against them.

If there was a top 16 forwards list (similar to this Dman one), I'd be surprised if Matthews wasn't among the top 5 or 6 forwards. :)
NHL.com actually released that list on June 18, 2020. They ranked Matthews #7 and Tavares #10.

Super 16: Top centers playing in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

The funny thing was Mitch Marner didn't receive any votes. I know he wasn't as productive compared to his 94 points in 2018-19, although in the 2018 playoffs he was the Leafs best player with 2 goals, 7 assists and 9 points in seven games against Boston.

Reactions: stickty111

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
NHL.com actually released that list on June 18, 2020. They ranked Matthews #7 and Tavares #10.

Super 16: Top centers playing in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

The funny thing was Mitch Marner didn't receive any votes. I know he wasn't as productive compared to his 94 points in 2018-19, although in the 2018 playoffs he was the Leafs best player with 2 goals, 7 assists and 9 points in seven games against Boston.

Funny Marner didn’t get any votes for top centres in playoffs, when he’s a winger

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure what you've based this on, but you're saying that the Leafs should have won ~40% of the time against these teams? They've won 8 out of their 20 games, which is 40%.

I was talking about odds to win the series, not individual games and they won 0 out of 3 which is 0%.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Rielly was not having a good season this year and injuries help derail some of this play as he tried to play through some issues. However Rielly did get some HM votes here finishing #21 ranked.

Season stats:

PS. I don't believe that Barrie not getting a single vote should be a surprise, and I'd have Muzzin ranked ahead of him on our Leafs. IMHO
Jones is so overrated its a joke. Rielly is every bit as good if not better than him. You call Rielly’s year not good!!! Jones year was no better but he’s #6. Phhh who cares when we send them packing and Rielly hopefully kills them, i will be the first one in to say our defense is better than theirs too :). Hell I’ll even say Keefe is the better coach. I’ll just trash them if we beat them actually. Defensive teams are supposed to beat offensive teams so if they lose they suck.

Not really but I’ll say all that sh!t anyways just incase there are some BJ fans in our thread ha

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Jones is so overrated its a joke. Rielly is every bit as good if not better than him. You call Rielly’s year not good!!! Jones year was no better but he’s #6. Phhh who cares when we send them packing and Rielly hopefully kills them, i will be the first one in to say our defense is better than theirs too :). Hell I’ll even say Keefe is the better coach. I’ll just trash them if we beat them actually. Defensive teams are supposed to beat offensive teams so if they lose they suck.

Not really but I’ll say all that sh!t anyways just incase there are some BJ fans in our thread ha
How about the fact that Muzzin wasn't on the list at all? That's baffling when you see some of those names....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Morgan Rielly (in relation to himself last year vs this year) is what I was referring to.

2019-20 Regular Season47 games 3 goals 24 assist 27 points +6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
vs
2018-1982 games 20 goals 52 assists72 points +24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Morgan Rielly (in relation to himself last year vs this year) is what I was referring to.

2019-20 Regular Season47 games 3 goals 24 assist 27 points +6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
vs
2018-'982 games 20 goals 52 assists72 points +24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rielly was playing hurt until he suffered a different injury in January which required him to miss a lot of games. So shouldn't we judge his 2018-19 season when he can play another full season at 100%?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rielly was playing hurt until he suffered a different injury in January which required him to miss a lot of games. So shouldn't we judge his 2018-19 season when he can play another full season at 100%?

Also of note, even having taken in consideration the injuries, Rielly missed having that steady defensive partner, and this also reduced his effectiveness. Please take note Mr. Dubas.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Yup that is what I said in my post.

"Rielly was not having a good season this year and injuries help derail some of this play as he tried to play through some issues. However Rielly did get some HM votes here finishing #21 ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad