Series Talk: Leafs vs Jackets- Series Preview and Discussion - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Makes you wonder if this will be the only time where a coach admits they are injured and says what it is, instead of just saying upper body or lower body.

I thought they had done away with the lower body and upper body lingo when NHL legalized gambling and teams were actually stating the injury sustained by the player

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Hopefully Rielly doesn't want to rinse us like Mitch and Matty did..

Our def isn't overly costly at this point in time. We'll have a couple elc contracts. Already Keefe coached too.

Ceci gone, Barrie gone.. leaves sone cash but not much.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Sorry I'm new here and haven't been keeping up with the news lately. Is there any word on when games will start? Just want to watch hockey again.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry I'm new here and haven't been keeping up with the news lately. Is there any word on when games will start? Just want to watch hockey again.
We all do.

I don't think they have set a hard date but I wouldn't expect any hockey until at least the end of the month.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Nylander should be mentioned along with Matthews, Marner, and Tavares. I guess he's not because his contract is only $6.96 million AAV compared to $10.893 million AAV, (Marner) $11 million AAV (Tavares) and $11.634 million AAV (Matthews).

To be fair, he also hasn't put up 94pts/40+ goals like the others have.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Love Marner but one of the big 4 has to go to balance out the team and also re-sign Rielly.

Cap isn't gonna go anywhere anytime soon;

Marner or Tavares out makes sense but Nylander has more value because of his AAV. If we don't round up the team we are going to be just be that team that makes playoffs and may be win a round or so but never move beyond that because the team is not built for playoff hockey

"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle".

Leafs defense will get tested in this CBJ series and beyond should we make the playoffs, and based on its performance in the regular season there are valid reasons for concern heading into these upcoming games.

If our defense is our Achilles heel and brings us down then hard decisions will need to be made going forward. Leafs only have 3 NHL dmen under contract for next year Rielly, Muzzin and Holl (not including prospects in the system) and with little to no cap space, some decisions will be needed regardless of the outcome.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle".

Leafs defense will get tested in this CBJ series,and beyond, should we make the playoffs, based on its performance in the regular season.

If our defense is our Achilles heel and brings us down then hard decisions will need to be made going forward. Leafs only have 3 NHL dmen under contract for next year Rielly, Muzzin and Holl (not including prospects in the system) and with little to no cap space, some decisions will be need regardless of the outcome.
Who is that quote from?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Third best defense against keefe’s #1 offense since coming in as coach. Nylander was off the hook since Badcock was fired too in this article there are some nice talking points.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-maroon-nylander-barrie-keefe-rielly/

Clifford won’t seek a huge contract, but any money saved helps. After he came to the team with backup goalie Jack Campbell, general manager Kyle Dubas noted that Clifford had been on his radar for a while.

But wait.....haven't we been told repeatedly that Dubas had no interest at all in a player like Clifford, but finally changed his ways and admitted defeat by adding toughness?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I have a feeling Barrie would opt out of returning to play. I can't see this guy running the risk of lowering his stock more if the Leafs don't play well.

He already knows he isn't coming back, and his year with the Leafs already lowered his stock from his expected 8x8 payday lol still funny to look back on those comments.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have a feeling Barrie would opt out of returning to play. I can't see this guy running the risk of lowering his stock more if the Leafs don't play well.

He already knows he isn't coming back, and his year with the Leafs already lowered his stock from his expected 8x8 payday lol still funny to look back on those comments.
After someone like Alex Pietrangelo wouldn't Barrie be the next best right handed shot defenseman on the UFA market for teams who don't sign Pietrangelo? So I think either way Barrie will have no problems having a team who wants to sign him and he won't opt out and play against Columbus.

Reactions: kb

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
After someone like Alex Pietrangelo wouldn't Barrie be the next best right handed shot defenseman on the UFA market for teams who don't sign Pietrangelo? So I think either way Barrie will have no problems having a team who wants to sign him and he won't opt out and play against Columbus.
Even if he did opt out I still think we're the heavy favourites in the series I'm just thinking it might be possible.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree. No chance Barrie opts to sit after the season he had.
He may be one of the more motivated Leafs this post season

Last edited:

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Clifford won’t seek a huge contract, but any money saved helps. After he came to the team with backup goalie Jack Campbell, general manager Kyle Dubas noted that Clifford had been on his radar for a while.

But wait.....haven't we been told repeatedly that Dubas had no interest at all in a player like Clifford, but finally changed his ways and admitted defeat by adding toughness?

Too bad for us he decided playing tough wasn’t his game anymore once he got here. I haven’t seen him a do a thing.

Reactions: Spargon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad