Friedman: Leafs trying to keep Gardiner?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
i say let's do it. A ~35 mil front loaded 8 year contract, which puts him just above his current AAV, but can pay him some decent coin through his prime and guarantees some security until he's 37.

Reactions: The Big D

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Around this time last year there were these types of comments from the MSM regarding JVR as well--though his role is nowhere near as important as Gardiner's. You're right though, I think most realistic fans see Gardiner heading where the money is this summer.

I just can't see Gardiner staying. The grooming of Dermott is the goal so that he can step into Gardiner's role next year, and honestly, I think 2-3 years down the line, Dermott will be doing it much better.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'm aware, I'm just curious as to what would make anyone think hes not capable. He passes the eye test as well as advanced stats. The kid can play.
I think you need to watch a player to administer the eye test. I’d bet that despite his obsession with the Leafs here, he’ll only watch them play against the Flames... and even then through some very thick lenses.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Wondering why Leafs wouldn't trade Kadri to free up cap space for Gardiner. I realize that Kadri is a good player with a great contract which makes him a very valuable trade asset - but he is Toronto's third line center. I would think they could flip him for a younger center to fill that roll (plus other assets). Then reallocate dollars to defense.

I don't know Toronto's pipeline, but if the question is losing one of Gardiner (for nothing) or Kadri (with players in return), what is the right choice?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Wondering why Leafs wouldn't trade Kadri to free up cap space for Gardiner. I realize that Kadri is a good player with a great contract which makes him a very valuable trade asset - but he is Toronto's third line center. I would think they could flip him for a younger center to fill that roll (plus other assets). Then reallocate dollars to defense.

I don't know Toronto's pipeline, but if the question is losing one of Gardiner (for nothing) or Kadri (with players in return), what is the right choice?

The right answer is moving Patty at the end of the year. Maybe Brown as well. Don't resign Hainsey. Bring up elc youth and resign everyone.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Our strength farm wise is definitely on the blue line and to an extent on the wing, besides our big 3 C’s there isn’t much of anything in the organization depth wise, either ready or coming up.
Not to mention moving kadri’s 4.5m at 3C will probably on net 1-1.5m after replacing him which isn’t worth it for what he brings.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'm more than comfortable with Dermott taking Gardiner's spot and one of Rosen/Marincin/Borgman/Sandin filling in on the third pair.

That being said, I would re-sign Gardiner if we found a taker for Zaitsev. Dermott would probably move to the right side in that case.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Rielly-Gardiner-Dermott is not really silly. U have a #1d a #3d and a #5-6d all playing in their right spots. If Gardiner goes and Dermott is forced to take his minutes it could get very ugly. Leafs brass knows this so i expect them to do every thing they can to keep Gardiner. If they go into next year with a defense of...
Rielly-Ozighanov?
Dermott-Zaitzev
x- x
...It will be a regressive year.
I think you are underrating Dermott a bit. Yes, he is playing third pair minutes currently, but he is crushing it by every metric with a rookie Russian D by his side. The kid rarely makes mistakes with the puck and is already one of our better one-one-one shutdown guys. Everything about him indicates that he could already handle top 4 minutes, in which he will more than likely get next year.

Ron ellis

May 26, 2018
According to cap friendly they have 23 mill plus 3.5 mill in cap increase next year and can bury Hortons contract on Ltd 5.3 mill
31.8 in space for about 12 bodies.About 22 mill for matthews and marner leaves9.8 or 10 mill for 8 bodies,though squeeze need to trade someone (zaitsev or Marleau) to flash out roster

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I just can't see Gardiner staying. The grooming of Dermott is the goal so that he can step into Gardiner's role next year, and honestly, I think 2-3 years down the line, Dermott will be doing it much better.
gardiner might get 6 somewhere ,but everybody saw his playoff performances ,I mean I DOES mean something .
hes not having a career year
he s 1 player that should take a discount ,after that debacle in game 7 last year in boston ,a lot of other sports would have had his butt jettisoned out of town by now

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
If they want him signed it's going to be 8 years AND a full NMC with a cap hit of at least 5M.

edit: They'd also have to trade Horton's contract (along with some decent picks) to Arizona or some place. AND they'd need to get rid of either Zaitsev or Brown/Hyman+something.

Getting rid of Zaitsev would be a mistake as people have mentioned. They're most thin at RHD. IF you want to sign Gardiner you also HAVE to keep Zaitsev - or else it doesn't make any sense.

Rielly-Liljegren
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
+ Holl

That's already a decent D corp.

edit2: But like many have said: it would be kind of stupid to spend your money on a LHD when you already have Rielly and possibly Dermott breaking out.

It's a shame for the Leafs Gardiner is UFA next summer and not 2020. It would be easier to pull off then with Marleau's contract off the books.

Last edited:

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The right answer is moving Patty at the end of the year. Maybe Brown as well. Don't resign Hainsey. Bring up elc youth and resign everyone.

Moving Patty isn't an option. He has a NMC and signed here to win. He's not leaving.

gardiner might get 6 somewhere ,but everybody saw his playoff performances ,I mean I DOES mean something .
hes not having a career year
he s 1 player that should take a discount ,after that debacle in game 7 last year in boston ,a lot of other sports would have had his butt jettisoned out of town by now

Gardiner has been very good in every series he's been apart of. He had one bad game 7. He's a good playoff performer and player. He was dominant vs Boston in 2013 and he and Rielly were just outstanding on 2017 playing essentially half the game after Polak went down early in the series.

Reactions: mulefarm

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why give a 29 year old who turns the puck over at the absolutle worst times during the game a long term deal when you have Dermott and Sandin as replacements? If I hear a leaf fan throw out the stupid idea of playing Dermott on his off side my head will explode.
You should go outside and get some air. Maybe calm down a little.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why give a 29 year old who turns the puck over at the absolutle worst times during the game a long term deal when you have Dermott and Sandin as replacements? If I hear a leaf fan throw out the stupid idea of playing Dermott on his off side my head will explode.

You seem angry. I don't know where you live but if you're in Canada, perhaps you should smoke a little doobie, that helps some people calm down.

7M and a chance to win the cup, or stay in the Leafs for 5M? Gee, I wonder...

You seem angry. I don't know where you live but if you're in Canada, perhaps you should smoke a little doobie, that helps some people calm down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad