Friedman: Leafs trying to keep Gardiner?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Easiest piece to let walk and replace him with Liljegren.

Solves all cap problems.

One plays right, the other left. Sandin is left. Not sure they'd move him up after one year. Eventually though the left is probably Rielly-Demott-Sandin. Right is the question.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Guess the Leafs dont trust Dermott to take his spot over not that i blame him. If they lose Gardiner and add nothing to the defense next year they would be in a bad spot. They should really try keeping him.
Huh? Dermott has been excellent. Hes ready for 2nd pairing minutes and responsibility.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Look at his history. He talks as much about the Leafs as the Flames, and has some pretty “interesting” takes.
I'm aware, I'm just curious as to what would make anyone think hes not capable. He passes the eye test as well as advanced stats. The kid can play.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs won't have the cap to resign Gardiner. Beside the Leafs appear to strong at LHD in the future with competent inexpensive Dmen. If nothing else, there will available short term inexpensive veteran LHD available to take Gardiner's spot. Lot easier to to replace a LHD for the Leafs than a RHD or centre.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Why give a 29 year old who turns the puck over at the absolutle worst times during the game a long term deal when you have Dermott and Sandin as replacements? If I hear a leaf fan throw out the stupid idea of playing Dermott on his off side my head will explode.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I haven’t been following too closely but I think that would crunch the cap too much. I don’t see him staying

If there is a taker out there for Zaitsev they can easily fit Gardiner in. I actually hope they move on from Gardiner and let Dermott and Sandin fill in the rest of the left side next season.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
And they can't resign Jake so its a moot point. Even with him leaving and gaining the cap space, they're going to be hardpressed to get everyone else in under the cap

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Dear GOD no. Addition by subtraction imo.

They should've or should push hard for Tyson Barrie when his contract expires or just go after whatever competent puck moving young dman they can get on an ELC who doesn't look like a forward playing defence.

Reactions: Offside2408

Offside2408

Dec 5, 2018
And they can't resign Jake so its a moot point. Even with him leaving and gaining the cap space, they're going to be hardpressed to get everyone else in under the cap

Actually that’s not true. With Horton on LTIR there is plenty of room. The problem lies in how do the leafs replace Gards. I don’t think Lilly will be ready next year and there really isn’t a cheap option via UFA. It’s gonna continue to be a weak spot for the leafs for the time being unless they find a team willing to take futures and prospects for a serviceable D on a good contract. None of the core will be moved and I don’t even think a single roster player will be shipped this year for help judging by how Dubas operates. TDL will be a better time to tell what is and isn’t available. Right now too many teams still in the hunt to start giving up assets for picks and prospects.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I haven’t been following too closely but I think that would crunch the cap too much. I don’t see him staying
This.

Leafs are gonna lose a few guys now that Willie is signed, and Matthews, and Marner are next on the list for big raises.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The way he stays as if he takes a team friendly deal. I could potentially see the Leafs giving him him if he’s willing to sign at a fair price

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
If the Leafs protect Gardiner in the Seattle draft, which of Rielly, Dermott and Liljegren go unprotected?

He shouldn't take a discount without expansion draft protection that the Leafs should not give him.
Unless Liljegren plays a lot this season he will be exempt from the expansion draft, Sandin too.
It’ll be Rielly Dermott and gards/his replacement that are protected. 7-3-1 Leaves us in great shape especially with guys like Andersen & Hyman being UFA’s who wont need protection.
Forwards would be Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares Kadri Kapanen Johnsson leaving Brown the goat and whoever else is filling out the roster by then.
On D it would be Dermott Rielly Gardiner leaving Zaitsev and whatever kind of fodder is filling out the 7/8 spot. That would leave us with the goalie spot left for Sparks. Andersen & hyman are ufa that summer, we could easily do what a few teams did last time and delay the re-signing of our ufas til post expansion draft.
As far as this thread goes, I feel you could offer Jake max term (8 years) at around ~5m and if it was front loaded, maxed out on bonus to salary payout and protected via NTC he’d probably sign.
Jake’s game should age well as it’s not reliant on out muscling anyone.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Just like JVR.

Leafs never tried to keep JVR, we knew from day one of his last year he wasn't re-signing.

Gardiner we had the same assumption, so it will be interesting if they can.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Leafs never tried to keep JVR, we knew from day one of his last year he wasn't re-signing.

Gardiner we had the same assumption, so it will be interesting if they can.
Around this time last year there were these types of comments from the MSM regarding JVR as well--though his role is nowhere near as important as Gardiner's. You're right though, I think most realistic fans see Gardiner heading where the money is this summer.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Wouldn't surprise me if he takes a short term deal to have a cup run with toronto for a few more years before hitting the open market again. He's 28 now, a one or two year extension lets him go for big money when the contracts over.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Unless Liljegren plays a lot this season he will be exempt from the expansion draft, Sandin too.
It’ll be Rielly Dermott and gards/his replacement that are protected. 7-3-1 Leaves us in great shape especially with guys like Andersen & Hyman being UFA’s who wont need protection.
Forwards would be Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares Kadri Kapanen Johnsson leaving Brown the goat and whoever else is filling out the roster by then.
On D it would be Dermott Rielly Gardiner leaving Zaitsev and whatever kind of fodder is filling out the 7/8 spot. That would leave us with the goalie spot left for Sparks. Andersen & hyman are ufa that summer, we could easily do what a few teams did last time and delay the re-signing of our ufas til post expansion draft.
As far as this thread goes, I feel you could offer Jake max term (8 years) at around ~5m and if it was front loaded, maxed out on bonus to salary payout and protected via NTC he’d probably sign.
Jake’s game should age well as it’s not reliant on out muscling anyone.
You might be confusing the exemption rules with the exposure rules.

First and second year pros are exempt. Third year pros are not.

Teams are required to expose at least one defenceman who is under contract and played at least 40 games in the prior season or played at least 70 games in the two prior seasons combined.

A player who is not exempt is still exposed if he's not protected, even if he doesn't fulfill the 40/70 requirements.

Am I missing anything here?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad