Speculation: Leafs Trade Deadline Prediction

By Trade Deadline the Leafs will:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
its a tough call, the Leafs gave up a lot for Muzzin just for 2 playoff runs, I think they have to pull the trigger on one more trade or it kind of feels like it was a waste to get Muzzin, its like we stopped halfway.

Better to spend a 1st, two seconds on a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman who can play two seasons, then pay consecutive 2nds for 4th line ufa centres.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Better to spend a 1st, two seconds on a 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman who can play two seasons, then pay consecutive 2nds for 4th line ufa centres.

Those trades for the 2 centers were to help the development of our 6 or 7 first/second-year players, it wasn't about trying to win the cup. This team is in a totally different spot than the 2 previous season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Something more for sure altho nothing big. Some kind of RD move but KD's big splash was Muzzin. I don't think he has the stones to deal AJ or Kapy without clearly knowing what he has in them, and that might be a good idea. While moving Gards frees up the cap space and an asset to improve the right side I think he would have done that earlier if it was in his plans. There is a lot of smoke about Dubas trying desperately to move Zaitsev but it could be just smoke where "insiders" are kind of throwing something obvious against the wall to see if it sticks.

Zaitsev is the only RHD on the roster and Leafs need more RHD help, so you would have to think at least another righty has to be coming back IF Zaitsev is traded. IMO

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Zaitsev is the only RHD on the roster and Leafs need more RHD help, so you would have to think at least another righty has to be coming back IF Zaitsev is traded. IMO

I think it will be Gardiner traded in Zaitsev's place at the TDL. Zaitsev has more value come playoffs.
Zaitsev will be traded in off season to clear cap space and after a strong playoffs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They could add Jensen and McQuaid for Zaits cap hit

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They could add Jensen and McQuaid for Zaits cap hit

True but Zaitsev is not likely going to be involved in either trade so you would perhaps need 3 trades to move Zaistsev out and then bring in those 2 players.

With the TD only a few days away that is alot of roster movement in a short amount of time.

I see Zaits moved in a bigger deal where Leafs add a forward and then get a true top pairing RHD, whereas those guys you mentioned are 3rd pairing players at best and even lower than Zaitsev in talent and abilities. IMO

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
True but Zaitsev is not likely going to be involved in either trade so you would perhaps need 3 trades to move Zaistsev out and then bring in those 2 players.

With the TD only a few days away that is alot of roster movement in a short amount of time.

I see Zaits moved in a bigger deal where Leafs add a forward and then get a true top pairing RHD, whereas those guys you mentioned are 3rd pairing players at best and even lower than Zaitsev in talent and abilities. IMO

Detroit may be interested in Z

They do love their Russian players. And have the cap space and need on D

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Those trades for the 2 centers were to help the development of our 6 or 7 first/second-year players, it wasn't about trying to win the cup. This team is in a totally different spot than the 2 previous season

The discussion we were having wasn’t about “why they were brought in”

If it were, then I would be saying the same thing you just did.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
As a losing club, I would easily let the Leafs sign one of my UFA who deserves a chance, knowing full well the Leafs would not be re-signing them next season. Think the Leafs could be going after a UFA they can afford this season, but not make any moves that impact next season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Stand pat. No point in adding anything when the current line up itself isn't optimized.

Rentals aren't going to help this team. Dropping Marleau down the line up and putting Johnsson up will help, reducing Hainsey's minutes would help. Those are huge improvements.

Making a Plekanec/Boyle move again isn't helping much and we can't keep trading picks for rentals.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Stand pat. No point in adding anything when the current line up itself isn't optimized.

Rentals aren't going to help this team. Dropping Marleau down the line up and putting Johnsson up will help, reducing Hainsey's minutes would help. Those are huge improvements.

Making a Plekanec/Boyle move again isn't helping much and we can't keep trading picks for rentals.

Marleau should just be on the Kadri line from now on, which is usually where he is. Johnsson and Hyman are the top two LW's on this team right now.

Marleau is not going to be on the 4th line, especially since he is good enough to be a 3rd liner still. Just needs to pick it up, like a lot of forwards on this team right now.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Marleau should just be on the Kadri line from now on, which is usually where he is. Johnsson and Hyman are the top two LW's on this team right now.

Marleau is not going to be on the 4th line, especially since he is good enough to be a 3rd liner still. Just needs to pick it up, like a lot of forwards on this team right now.

Babs loves his "gud pros"

LouiEriksson

Sep 9, 2013
Vancouver Island
This tweet was almost immediately removed earlier this afternoon. Anyone else catch it?
52020870_646919392391897_5061876712208334848_n.png

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Hmmm I created a thread exactly like this ..yet this has more answers..whaaaat?

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Collin Miller may be an option... he’s been scratched the past 2 games. Former ssm greyhound....

BudsOne

Jan 17, 2019
I think there is trade potentially with Carolina.

Ferland and a Right Handed D man ( Hamilton or Pesce)

Gonna cost Toronto though Kapinen is the starting point. If they can convince Carolina to take Zaitsev that would be bonus but most likely Kapinen and one of their Higher touted prospects ...
In the end the leafs can not afford to sign Marner and give raises to both Johnsson and Kapinen down fall to putting 40% of yur payroll on 4 players or so.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Now Chris Johnsn wrote a column saying Babcock doesn't think the leafs will make a big splash. Funny part is he never said that. He basically says; cost vs reward. Then says in short they talk and for example Dubas may say try these lines, maybe sit this player but Mike has to make the decision it's his job. Reverse it...Mike tells Dubas what would be a big help, Dubas tells him the possible cost, the debate yes or no (worth it or not). Finally Mike says the guys buy in when the GM does something to help the team make a big push.

So the article title is wrong. That's one. Second Dubas said even after Muzzin, that the guys have shown they deserve help, throughout the year.

What's this mean? It's all about the cost vs reward. Lou was a master at it. You don't want to make a dumb move to make it look like you tried, IF the move doesn't make sense LT and short term.

The quirk is Dubas doesn't want rentals, makes sense because we probably can't sign them after this year anyway due to the cap crunch. The other problem is guys with term, especially good contracts will cost a roster guy, maybe 2 because we don't have a 1st in 2019 BUT do in 2020.

I think there is no middle ground. I think he swings for the fences and if so he better be right (we go far). Or it'll be a Mcquaid type that's a band aid. I don't know why but Dubas isn't the band aid guy..he goes for it. He went for JT gotten, hes got all the big.guys locked except Marner (agent and Marners fault). This is the only year they all 100% will be here, I think you gotta go for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad