Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name new captain... shortly

Who will be the captain?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
This is turning into a circus. Shanahan should stop everything right now. There is no deadline to name a captain. Slow this whole thing down and re-evaluate. Don't bow to pressure from outside and get your ducks in a row. There are options

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Put Matthews, Tavares and Rielly in a room together, tell them, "you guys are our leadership core, respectfully determine amongst yourselves who should be captain, the other two can be alternates." Walk out and shut the door. Let them decide. They know who the true leader is.

I'm only half serious, but I'm sure it'd work.

Reactions: buds69

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I won't watch the video. I'm only really disappointed when I see people on the internet starting saying "its suspicious that she waited 2 days", or "why does she does this work if she has a PTSD", "not buying her argument", etc. after a woman called the police to say she was a victim of an agression.

Call me an idealist, but that sh** makes me real, real sad. We have a long way to go as a society, that is for sure.

My take in these manners, not just this one but all similar situations is that the victim is often looking to capitalize on something misfortunate and cash in. Just my bias. For example, the (accidental) burn event at Ceci’s this summer. Suing a former best friend seems like just seeking money.

Back to this case:
Drunk idiots annoy people all the time in my town and there is an attitude of “get over it”. Getting mooned is unpleasant but not something that (imo) warrants a police report. The law enforcement in my town have told me (personally) not to call them if there nothing they can do to prevent future incidents. (In my case I was reporting a burglary and they told me “sucks”.) The mooning is a case where I think calling them only wastes their time.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I just don't see the arguments for Tavares over Rielly unless Morgan explicitly told the club he wants nothing to do with the captiancy. Which I mean may be fair given he was here when Phaneuf was getting torched and may not want the same scrutiny on him.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Tavares is our captain until he retires 6 years from now after winning 5 Stanley Cups.

Shanahan retires and Tavares is made team President.

Tavares' first course of action is directing Leafs GM Brendan Pridham to sign UFA Connor McDavid, who is immediately also announced as our next Captain.

Matthews and Marner leave to focus on their MTV reality show.
The story started off great, super amazing climax, but just a brutal ending man. MTV?

I thought maybe you'd say they'll go on to be permanent Cannon Dolls for the Nutcracker.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Steve simmons says Shanny wanted Matthews, Dubas wanted Tavares. Doesnt say which guy Babcock wanted.
I mean, its the information we have, but I have a hard time believing Steve Simmons on anything, since he's more hot-take editorialist writer than a respected journalist. I would think Babcock would want JT or Rielly even prior to this, unless Babs thought supporting Matthews getting it would help repair their relationship.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I mean, its the information we have, but I have a hard time believing Steve Simmons on anything, since he's more hot-take editorialist writer than a respected journalist. I would think Babcock would want JT or Rielly even prior to this, unless Babs thought supporting Matthews getting it would help repair their relationship.
Yeah, but we can take it for what its worth. Obviously not a lot, but its something.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well in Mathews defense is it not standard practice and repeated by everybody? Say nothing and ask for a lawyer. Because anything you say can be held against you.

I repeat I will just wait for a court decision before deciding what I think about it.

I'm not talking about Matthews making a public statement, or judgement in innocence vs guilt.

Just the premise of giving the team a heads up that this might make headlines and bring on some negative publicity indirectly to the team and organization.

Dubas shouldn't have learned about this in Twitter, especially about the teams franchise player and a guy that wants to be seen as a leader.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Toronto has turned everything into a shit show lately.

If not Matthews and it would be very stupid if it’s because of the Glendale incident then Reilly for sure

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
ya know when Matthews said he was working on some new moves in the offseason, that one didn't cross my mind......

giphy.gif

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Matthews has always come off as a massive dbag. In contract negotiations, playstyle, angling for linemates, wardrobe choices, social media, everything. Neither the incident nor withholding information from the Leafs is out of character for him.

Hard to believe I'm siding with f***ing Babcock over a player but here we are

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Between Rielly and Tavares, I'd rather have Rielly as captain. He's been through it all for us.
Yep, imo it should be Rielly with Tavares 2nd. Rielly because he has been here for several years longer. Both are mature and look like the leaders to me.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Drunk idiots annoy people all the time in my town and there is an attitude of “get over it”. Getting mooned is unpleasant but not something that (imo) warrants a police report. The law enforcement in my town have told me (personally) not to call them if there nothing they can do to prevent future incidents. (In my case I was reporting a burglary and they told me “sucks”.) The mooning is a case where I think calling them only wastes their time.
The mooning is the least of all issues with all this, especially without context. That in itself would be completely inconsequential.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just role no captain. This **** is turning into a distraction.

Nope, it's time for the team to grow up and start taking some ownership of the team so name the best man for the job before the season starts

Co captains

Hell no, give it to the best person for the job, something that can be very important like the captaincy isn't a participation medal

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
The mooning is the least of all issues with all this, especially without context. That in itself would be completely inconsequential.
Its the immaturity behind it and actually thinking that it was going to go away without anyone finding out.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
My take in these manners, not just this one but all similar situations is that the victim is often looking to capitalize on something misfortunate and cash in. Just my bias. For example, the (accidental) burn event at Ceci’s this summer. Suing a former best friend seems like just seeking money.

Back to this case:

Mooning is not the issue here lol, breaking into someone's car at night is something that can get you shot to death and wouldn't even go to trial

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If they are all so delicate, well maybe none of them should be captain? I wish I was pissed making almost 11M a year, lmao.

If you are one of the best In the world. And people are putting you on the cover of games and magazines I bet you would too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad