Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name new captain... shortly

Who will be the captain?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
JT is a good choice but would've went Morgan tbh. Been here through all the crap, developed into a star on our club, is great with the media and from all accounts a decent guy

Hmm but what about that media day thing where you could see the C covered up on his jersey

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If you are one of the best In the world. And people are putting you on the cover of games and magazines I bet you would too

He didn't want to negotiate in season, too bad. There is only so much cap room. There is only 1 captain, also. Just go out there and do your job. Maybe he shouldn't be cry baby "oh they don't think I am as good as Matthews". Oh this oh that. They are all men, maybe act like it.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Everyone and their grandma knows the Leafs were set to name a Captain for this upcoming season.

They already had it decided, and were just waiting for October 2nd to roll by. Unfortunately, a couple leaks occurred.

The first one showed Auston at media day wearing a Leafs jersey (photoshopped/brightened/doctored possibly) that showed a 'C'.

Then the one major leak. — A sauced AM34 mooned a female security guard back home during the summer.

The Internet & social media break!

Now, a MAJOR segment of the fans believe it's always been Matthews. But, really, what if it's not? Maybe we're just assuming because Matthews is #1 pick, a young star centreman, etc.

Now, knowing all the information that is out there thus far, the Leafs naming their captain will be a heavily scrutinized discussion.

These are their options. I hope they go for 1.

1. Name your captain, October 1st. I really believe it's Matthews, but this event changed/scared them (Babcock & Shanahan). They have to come together with Matthews and have a top-notch media scrum where they can still come out ahead. No doubt they'll have their selected media guys, but can't keep all the flies out.

It'll be tough, but it can be done. They have great talkers and Matthews is great in front of the camera. He can do it confidently.

2. Not naming Matthews captain will result in endless speculation due to the images we've seen. Babcock, Shanahan, and Dubas will have to do a major sell job on why it was always their decision to go with Rielly or JT (one full year as a Leaf). They can do it.

I have no issue if Rielly has always been their choice. I feel Rielly was ready a few years ago tbh, so why the wait? It's just hard to really believe. The waiting game made more sense for Matthews.

Anyway, whatever they decide I'm sure will be a solid option. Man, no shortage of drama over here in Leaf Land last few years.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Everyone and their grandma knows the Leafs were set to name a Captain for this upcoming season.

They already had it decided, and were just waiting for October 2nd to roll by. Unfortunately, a couple leaks occurred.

The first one showed Auston at media day wearing a Leafs jersey (photoshopped/brightened/doctored possibly) that showed a 'C'.

Then the one major leak. — A sauced AM34 mooned a female security guard back home during the summer.

The Internet & social media break!

Now, a MAJOR segment of the fans believe it's always been Matthews. But, really, what if it's not? Maybe we're just assuming because Matthews is #1 pick, a young star centreman, etc.

Now, knowing all the information that is out there thus far, the Leafs naming their captain will be a heavily scrutinized discussion.

These are their options. I hope they go for 1.

1. Name your captain, October 1st. I really believe it's Matthews, but this event changed/scared them (Babcock & Shanahan). They have to come together with Matthews and have a top-notch media scrum where they can still come out ahead. No doubt they'll have their selected media guys, but can't keep all the flies out.

It'll be tough, but it can be done. They have great talkers and Matthews is great in front of the camera. He can do it confidently.

2. Not naming Matthews captain will result in endless speculation due to the images we've seen. Babcock, Shanahan, and Dubas will have to do a major sell job on why it was always their decision to go with Rielly or JT (one full year as a Leaf). They can do it.

I have no issue if Rielly has always been their choice. I feel Rielly was ready a few years ago tbh, so why the wait? It's just hard to really believe. The waiting game made more sense for Matthews.

Anyway, whatever they decide I'm sure will be a solid option. Man, no shortage of drama over here in Leaf Land last few years.

Very true..with that supposed leak media/photo day if they dont name him Captain the whole year will be comprised of speculation that he lost it due to his legal issue. But then again, hed have to be a big boy and understand he did it to himself, and that as a leaf/celebrity you have to be extra professional and smart, and not do what he did.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Very true..with that supposed leak media/photo day if they dont name him Captain the whole year will be comprised of speculation that he lost it due to his legal issue. But then again, hed have to be a big boy and understand he did it to himself, and that as a leaf/celebrity you have to be extra professional and smart, and not do what he did.
I mean, they can discredit that leak saying it was doctored or it never happened in reality. Many would believe it or learn to believe it, but it's really hard to believe for me. Especially in this age. Why didn't we see Rielly or Tavares modeling jerseys with C patches? I believe that jersey leak.

Whether the Toronto Maple Leafs can handle what's to come when they name a Captain remains to be seen. I'm sure they'll be well prepared and will communicate it to us effectively. They do that very well.

It's too bad Auston (and his father Brian) didn't communicate to them.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I mean, they can discredit that leak saying it was doctored or it never happened in reality. Many would believe it or learn to believe it, but it's really hard to believe for me. Especially in this age. Why didn't we see Rielly or Tavares modeling jerseys with C patches? I believe that jersey leak.

Whether the Toronto Maple Leafs can handle what's to come when they name a Captain remains to be seen. I'm sure they'll be well prepared and will communicate it to us effectively. They do that very well.

It's too bad Auston (and his father Brian) didn't communicate to them.

Why should his dad have said something? AM34 is a grown boy, he messed up, it's his responsibility. Now oddly Mike and JT both said the other day that, that legal matter doesn't discredit his on ice and locker room leadership thus far. So hard to say what'll happen.

The leafs could PR it and simply say what Mike said, plus say that he took ownership once it came out and has the backing of his team mates (or as Mike said..locker room family).

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Why should his dad have said something? AM34 is a grown boy, he messed up, it's his responsibility. Now oddly Mike and JT both said the other day that, that legal matter doesn't discredit his on ice and locker room leadership thus far. So hard to say what'll happen.

The leafs could PR it and simply say what Mike said, plus say that he took ownership once it came out and has the backing of his team mates (or as Mike said..locker room family).
It was reported that his dad knew about the situation right away. Auston, must've advised his dad about what happened. They mutually (who knows?) decided to take care of it internally. That's not a bad decision. It was Auston's mess, his dad probably said yeah son, we gotta clean this up. I like that they wanted to take care of it themselves but you can't be that naive. You have such a great resource (TML) use them at your disposal. They provide so many benefits. It blows my mind the way athletes think lol.

The Toronto Maple Leafs love their media coverage. However no team wants to deal with leaks and negative stories like this. Hearing about it on Twitter is disappointing. I liked Dubas' response. Hope he continues to educate everyone. Life's constantly about teaching and evolving.

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
It was reported that his dad knew about the situation right away. Auston, must've advised his dad about what happened. They mutually (who knows?) decided to take care of it internally. That's not a bad decision. It was Auston's mess, his dad probably said yeah son, we gotta clean this up. I like that they wanted to take care of it themselves but you can't be that naive. You have such a great resource (TML) use them at your disposal. They provide so many benefits. It blows my mind the way athletes think lol.

The Toronto Maple Leafs love their media coverage. However no team wants to deal with leaks and negative stories like this. Hearing about it on Twitter is disappointing. I liked Dubas' response. Hope he continues to educate everyone. Life's constantly about teaching and evolving.

His dad definitely didn’t help the situation from what the reports are suggesting.

Reactions: kb

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
His dad definitely didn’t help the situation from what the reports are suggesting.
Lucky has not a new england patriot
Lol hed be traded To Arizona so his mon could babysit him
Seriously he would be a collège senior doing freshman stuff
JT captain

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Like woah. Y'all already read the comments by the women who saw matthews in his boxers? She said that matthews father is arrogant who doesn't believe his son would do anythang like this. Then they sent the film and tapes to him and no answer anymore. Woah. She also said what would they defend in the future when its already this bad.....

There's a truth there. So many rich ice hockey players nowadays are spoiled brats. From rich families. There are only very rare players that don't come from golden spoon families who have the money ready. That's a cold fact. We have some true brats playing for us too, divas who think they better human beings than others. That's why they behave like that. Let's see who gets the capitano mark now, Tavvy or Rielly. This was a facts post period.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
There was no media day leak.
Just desperate fans trying to see something that didn’t exist.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I never really understood why people care about who is the captain.
I figured it would be Matthews.
The incident this summer was minor in my view - however his (and by that I mean - him, his parents, his lawyer, I assume his agent) handling of it was beyond stupid and completely unnecessary.
I figure it will definitely not be Matthews now.
I still don't understand why people care about who is the captain.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Would like to see Rielly for two reasons. First, only Leaf here more than 3 seasons. Second, with all the huge contracts doled out and him now grossly underpaid, perhaps a show of something for when his time comes.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This incident will blow over. But if it costs Matthews the captaincy? That won't. It's a good way to guarantee this transgression follows him around forever.

Dubas needs to step up as a leader and support Matthews here. Not take the easy way out of dodging the PR storm.

Yep, if Matthews loses the captaincy because of this incident, it will be with him everyday of the years that he's at least a Leaf...that's not good...if Tavares gets it, he's here for another 6 years...Matthews' contract ends before that...and if Rielly gets it, he won't lose it in 2 years when the Leafs extend him...so yeah, if Matthews doesn't get it, he won't get it for a while, and might never become the Leafs captain if he decides to leave in 5 years to erase the black cloud over his head. Say what you will, like us, he's human, so it will affect him. I have no doubt that if he signs with another team in 5 years as a UFA, he'll be the highest paid UFA ever and they will make him the captain of their team.

So if the Leafs were going to give the C to him because they believe that he'll lead them to a championship, they need to stick with him and support him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ask yourselves. When did this franchise change?

Who is your most important player?

Does he want to be captain?

That’s the answer

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He did a fourth thing that's just as important - facing the cameras, he gave one of the most cringe worthy performances I've ever seen. If that had been an audition to be the face of a billion dollar corporation, he wouldn't even get 10 seconds into the performance before they'd yell "cut, next". He had to know this was his most important interview ever and he completely bombed.

Funny, on the radio today one guy said that he was so obviously coached in what to say and the other guy laughed and said it was so obvious he wasn't. :laugh::laugh:

I'm guessing he was coached (I mean how could he not be) and he's I dunno, not coachable I guess. If he had hit that interview out of the park, exuded humility, regret and made us believe that this would never happen again he could have possibly still salvaged this but he failed miserably and took himself out of the running.

Maybe he'll mature and grow and be capable of doing a passable job as captain some day. As of today though, he's clearly nowhere close.

JMHO.

I get what you're saying and maybe you're right, don't make him captain means losing him down the road. On the other hand, if he's that immature maybe we're better off without him? And hard to see how making the guy captain out of fear of losing him could possibly be right.

He showed yesterday that he can not perform in front of cameras with grace under pressure. That's most of the job so that disqualifies him.

Aha, the silver lining. :) The boys band together in the face of adversity! :laugh::laugh:

Man what a cluster **** all this is.

Sure, but he's 22 and not a trained actor or lawyer...I would be more troubled if he was acting naturally and was extremely comfortable facing the cameras...he would be a sociopath if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad