Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name new captain... shortly

Who will be the captain?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Pretty weird seeing a Matthews poll in the Oilers' GDT for today. Peculiar obsession with Toronto sure showing.

View attachment 257771

Pretty easy to figure out why.

In the same time that Edmonton has gone from a basement dwelling tire fire to a basement dwelling tire fire, the Leafs have blossomed into a beautiful, skillful contender.

Nevermind wasting Connor McDavid the past two years. Edmonton thought they would be serious contenders their trio of offensive young guns in Hall, Eberle, RNH, etc. way, way back at the start of the decade. And here we are. Living their future.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Pretty weird seeing a Matthews poll in the Oilers' GDT for today. Peculiar obsession with Toronto sure showing.

View attachment 257771

Edmonton.... I remember them.

Where did they relocate anyways? Bloody shame they're gone but it was pretty much an act of mercy.

Hopefully they get a team again one day. I'd like to see Quebec City get a chance first, though.

Can you imagine them continuing in the state they were in? Embarrassing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So I made a post in the original thread about this stating that absolutely the security guard was legitimately scared by the incident, and that Matthews was incredibly stupid and immature.

That men also need to be better and more cognizant how they approach women (especially when it's late at night).

However there are parts of the victims story that don't seem to completely add up. She mentions that she locks her car when she does her paperwork at night. But when someone tries to open her car she gets out? And now this 'I'm only pressing charges because the family didn't take it seriously' and after she discovered it was Matthews and he's and NHL player. Also is Matthews the only being charged? That part I haven't see any word either way. Which is why it makes it questionable as to her intentions on the charge to Matthews.

Matthews was dumb, and yes it's catching up to him. He should have told the Leafs organization once he got the citation (although it sounds like he at least told his agent). He should have had better judgment period.

Whatever the victim's motivations are at this point, the real key is Matthews needs to be more careful about his own personal conduct.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Toronto cops hate from every fanbases around the league really, but there's just a very psychotic obsession with the Leafs when it comes to Oilers, Jets and Canucks fans.

Like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction type stuff. Strange indeed...

Reactions: IPS

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

therefore every victim. (key word here victim I don't care if it's a man or a woman) needs to be treated with scepticism? do you know how incredibly rare the lacrosse rape hoax is compared to the countless of legitimate stuff that happens? like. come. on.

and note - I didn't say "woman." I said. person.
any person. who had something happen to them (like that) has the right to press charges, and a right to be heard. and i'm sorry, i doubt very much that most people want to open themselves to a bunch of crap for money. but that's always everyone's reaction around here.

So and so did something something
"Oh it must be for money."

why is that the first reaction?
then - note, while you are quoting Duke Lacrosse rape hoax links at me - I also asked, if your loved one came to you and said "this happened to me, and I feel really upset about it so i pressed charged/filed a complaint." is your first reaction going to be "are you only doing it for the money?" (or now apparently, are you gonna go "are you lying, coz Duke lacrosse hoax don't go there,."

like. it really disgusts me that people want to hand wave this "because drunk people hahaha, them kids ha ha " because it's Matthews, and he's the golden boy and face of the franchise yaadaadadaa and excusing it and putting blame on the person who did nothing wrong.

People want to treat this as if this is a minor thing (and i mean in the broad strokes of things. yes it's minor) - but we're ignoring one thing. it's not minor to the person who it happened to. And I don't understand why people can emphathize and see things from that woman's side instead of being "oh poor Auston, how dare this person press charges against you,there there."

think of your loved one (in this case female loved one) coming home, upset telling you that four drunk people came to your car, tried to get in, and then pulled their pants down in front of them. Is your honest to goodness first reaction going to be "lol. that's hilarious, y so serious?"

I mean. holy crap.
Anyway, if Auston was going to be the captain - I wouldn't take it away from him because of this. he's a human and humans make dumb mistakes (and so do hockey captains) but i also don't think this should just be chalked up to "but i was drunk." because .. i don't know. blaming it on drinking is a lousy excuse in my opinion.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

4F0F5DC4-3CBE-4289-9C27-5466EB351026.jpeg

Reactions: MattySnipes

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
She'd deserve one. It would have been justice if she got a settlement before it went to a criminal complaint.

A settlement for what? Minor harrassment at best? This kind of stuff and worse happens every damn day in Toronto and no one goes to sue the person who harrassed them. They just walk away and go on with their day and I'm pretty sure she would've done the same if it were a group of no named teens rather than a known and fairly famous athlete.

i will also never get how the person who had the wrong thing done to them is wrong, for you know, doing what is in their legal rights to do (because that's all i keep sseeing) instead of you know, the drunk idiot who did the wrong thing.

Because this 'wrong' is almost a nothing issue. She didn't seem to be afraid if she confronted Matthews and his buddies and she wasn't physically touched. Go on the Toronto subreddit and read about the kind of stuff and the kind of people that normal folks living in the city have to deal with on a daily basis and do you see them all suing the perpetrators? Of course not.

People get assaulted, robbed etc. all the time in Toronto and it barely makes the news, but this incident makes news and is considered 'significant' only because of who's involved. Like I said above if this was a group of normal people harassing her, I bet she wouldn't have even bothered going to the police.

Reactions: The Cobra

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A settlement for what? Minor harrassment at best? This kind of stuff and worse happens every damn day in Toronto and no one goes to sue the person who harrassed them. They just walk away and go on with their day and I'm pretty sure she would've done the same if it were a group of no named teens rather than a known and fairly famous athlete.

Because this 'wrong' is almost a nothing issue. She didn't seem to be afraid if she confronted Matthews and his buddies and she wasn't physically touched. Go on the Toronto subreddit and read about the kind of stuff and the kind of people that normal folks living in the city have to deal with on a daily basis and do you see them all suing the perpetrators? Of course not.

People get assaulted, robbed etc. all the time in Toronto and it barely makes the news, but this incident makes news and is considered 'significant' only because of who's involved. Like I said above if this was a group of normal people harassing her, I bet she wouldn't have even bothered going to the police.

and that''s my point.
to the victim. it's not "wrong" and it's not a "nothing issue."

this is what's really bugging me. Auston Matthews is not the victim here because he's being sued so let's stop acting like he is.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Is it true that she pretty much gave them a get out of jail free card, but his dad just doubled down that Matthews didnt anything wrong?

My god, what morons.

Reactions: Leafling

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A mean Matty will be very dangerous. Basically I think not naming him captain ensures he doesn't resign. but who knows

It's pretty poor character if he leaves because he wasn't chosen to be captain 5 years previous, particularly after this incident as well.

5 years is a long time and a lot can happen between now and then that will affect things.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It's pretty poor character if he leaves because he wasn't chosen to be captain 5 years previous, particularly after this incident as well.

5 years is a long time and a lot can happen between now and then that will affect things.
agreed. Simply speculation.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I never really understood why people care about who is the captain.
I figured it would be Matthews.
The incident this summer was minor in my view - however his (and by that I mean - him, his parents, his lawyer, I assume his agent) handling of it was beyond stupid and completely unnecessary.
I figure it will definitely not be Matthews now.
I still don't understand why people care about who is the captain.
Not responding to you specifically, but isn't anyone bothered by her conduct?

My issue is this. How many security guards look for footage of an alleged event and then bring that footage to someone who apparently triggered her PTSD...yet apparently was only doing that to "try to get an apology" from that person? Are you kidding me? Is that standard security guard protocol to bring a video to someone to "ask for an apology" before going to the police? Especially if he truly had triggered her PTSD, which would have made confronting him nearly impossible?

Does she take videos to every single person who does something dumb in front of her, and ask for an apology? Or only rich ones? What was she expecting her job as a security guard to entail exactly?

And after not getting an apology, it takes 3 days before she then goes to the police, and pushes to get it registered as a sexual crime? Then says she is a war vet, then brings up PTSD?

Matthews screwed up, and there is no disputing that. But holy hell, this has extortion and cash grab written all over it. She overplayed every victim card. We have only heard ONE side of the story so far.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
therefore every victim. (key word here victim I don't care if it's a man or a woman) needs to be treated with scepticism? do you know how incredibly rare the lacrosse rape hoax is compared to the countless of legitimate stuff that happens? like. come. on.

and note - I didn't say "woman." I said. person.
any person. who had something happen to them (like that) has the right to press charges, and a right to be heard. and i'm sorry, i doubt very much that most people want to open themselves to a bunch of crap for money. but that's always everyone's reaction around here.

So and so did something something
"Oh it must be for money."

why is that the first reaction?
then - note, while you are quoting Duke Lacrosse rape hoax links at me - I also asked, if your loved one came to you and said "this happened to me, and I feel really upset about it so i pressed charged/filed a complaint." is your first reaction going to be "are you only doing it for the money?" (or now apparently, are you gonna go "are you lying, coz Duke lacrosse hoax don't go there,."

like. it really disgusts me that people want to hand wave this "because drunk people hahaha, them kids ha ha " because it's Matthews, and he's the golden boy and face of the franchise yaadaadadaa and excusing it and putting blame on the person who did nothing wrong.

People want to treat this as if this is a minor thing (and i mean in the broad strokes of things. yes it's minor) - but we're ignoring one thing. it's not minor to the person who it happened to. And I don't understand why people can emphathize and see things from that woman's side instead of being "oh poor Auston, how dare this person press charges against you,there there."

think of your loved one (in this case female loved one) coming home, upset telling you that four drunk people came to your car, tried to get in, and then pulled their pants down in front of them. Is your honest to goodness first reaction going to be "lol. that's hilarious, y so serious?"

I mean. holy crap.
Anyway, if Auston was going to be the captain - I wouldn't take it away from him because of this. he's a human and humans make dumb mistakes (and so do hockey captains) but i also don't think this should just be chalked up to "but i was drunk." because .. i don't know. blaming it on drinking is a lousy excuse in my opinion.

No one knows what happened until it is proven In Court.

That being said. The part that I think people have questions about are

1.) it wasn’t JUST Auston. There is NO mention of other parties being arrested. In Canada. If you are adults who committed crimes together (allegedly) you get a joint charge. Unless
It works different in the states. Or the people he was with were kids. He is the only one who is charged.

Further. The incident the party claimed
To be the big incident was hearing a door handle. He was not identified in the statement as the one who did that. But as far as we know.

The only one who is charged is him. Why? Because he is the resident? Because he reportedly had his pants down (even though the guard said that didn’t matter. And may have been unrelated). She was outside and he was inside with another friend?

Another reason? When only one of three potential people gets charged there is a reason. We just don’t know what.

2.) for some reason the family was contacted. And refused to apologize. Why?

If you were the one who had something like this happen. Why would you contact the father before the police? Would you call an adults parent?

Would it be to say. “Listen I don’t want money I just want an apology? Would you be so mad that the Father who has nothing to do with it doesn’t respond?”

IF you had a son who was a rich athlete and a person contacted you instead of the Police. Not asking for money..... would you just not answer? If you have created a public image of volunteering and helping. Would you not offer an apology?

The agents and lawyers have provided advice. Did he ignore it? Or did they advise not to have contact?

Why?

Bottom line is. No one knows anything until proven in court.

We do have a rich athlete who was accused
Of being one of 3 potential suspects who touched a car door and may be the only one charged.

We do have a reporter who claims to have reached out to an adult males father to make some form of request and when it was denied that person decided to go to the police. That person specifically said it was the fathers lack of response that drove this person to make a report.

We don’t know what else happened beyond that. We don’t know motives we don’t know the truth.

You can ask yourself would you do any of these things. For some people they may draw conclusions about the “suspect”
For some they may draw conclusions about the “reporter”. In an ideal world. We wouldn’t draw any conclusions. Because we have a lot of questions.

But we don’t know what the truth is.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I wouldn't say it'll come down to poor character.

The media isn't going to leave him alone (Simmons is already licking his lips) if they make someone else captain. The media will have ammunition to work with because Dubas/Babs/Shanny didn't show trust in Matthews. They will use that narrative forever.

As a result, he'll move on because he wants a fresh start.

Just look at what the media did to Kessel. They will break you when the management doesn't have your back.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad