Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name new captain... shortly

Who will be the captain?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Pretty weird seeing a Matthews poll in the Oilers' GDT for today. Peculiar obsession with Toronto sure showing.

Screenshot_20190926-211626_Firefox.jpg

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
A kick in the ass is still a step forward.

He's already getting his lumps. Whether we like it or not, he's tied to the Leafs at the hip...he's their #1 draft pick, the Leafs developed him and invested heavily in him, he's like an adopted son to the organization and many fans...if he was to be the captain before this incident blew up, they should continue to support him and stick with their decision...also gives Matthews another reason and motivation to give it his all and lay it all on the line when it matters in the playoffs.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
The mooning is the least of all issues with all this, especially without context. That in itself would be completely inconsequential.
I agree. From the woman’s safety aspect. Pulling in the door handle was much worse. However she left the vehicle to shout off him and his friends which made me think she was annoyed more so than fearful.

Hiding it from the Leafs and his dad was very bad

Reactions: Faltorvo

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Matthews was never ready. Too young as evident by his actions in May

i believe it was always going to be Tavares. A veteran superstar from Toronto and a better person off the ice.

if matthews grows innthe next 5 years they can pass the torch ala san jose sharks.
Thats the rigut way to go

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Mooning is not the issue here lol, breaking into someone's car at night is something that can get you shot to death and wouldn't even go to trial
“breaking in”

If he seemed violent and dangerous the lady wouldn't have got out of the locked car. Makes it seem like it was a drink asshole causing mischief instead of seriously threatening people’s safety.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Mooning is not the issue here lol, breaking into someone's car at night is something that can get you shot to death and wouldn't even go to trial
Yeah the more I hear the more I wonder just what he was thinking. This could have ended so much worse if the story is fully legit.
“breaking in”

If he seemed violent and dangerous the lady wouldn't have got out of the locked car. Makes it seem like it was a drink ******* causing mischief instead of seriously threatening people’s safety.
In America it's shoot first, ask questions later.
I'll still reserve judgement but my goodness Auston.....

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Not saying he didn't do something inappropiate, but holy crap people make it sound like he killed someone or committed some other serious crime. From what is known this seems like a nothing incident where a very young man was just messing around and did something stupid, but nothing that is grossly horrible, yet dumbasses like Feschuck make it sound like he legit raped someone or something.

From some of the footage of her interview, this woman says that she's afraid of several men coming towards her in the early morning, but on the otherhand she gets out of her car to confront them instead of driving away? Something doesn't seem right to me. I wouldn't be surprised that this woman was simply looking for a payday after finding out who she was dealing with.
She'd deserve one. It would have been justice if she got a settlement before it went to a criminal complaint.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Toronto cops hate from every fanbases around the league really, but there's just a very psychotic obsession with the Leafs when it comes to Oilers, Jets and Canucks fans.
Very weird. I can't imagine that a Leafs fan would create a GDT for the game against the Red Wings prefaced by a McDavid poll asking you to rate whether he's still an Oiler in 5 years?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Not saying he didn't do something inappropiate, but holy crap people make it sound like he killed someone or committed some other serious crime. From what is known this seems like a nothing incident where a very young man was just messing around and did something stupid, but nothing that is grossly horrible, yet dumbasses like Feschuck make it sound like he legit raped someone or something.

From some of the footage of her interview, this woman says that she's afraid of several men coming towards her in the early morning, but on the otherhand she gets out of her car to confront them instead of driving away? Something doesn't seem right to me. I wouldn't be surprised that this woman was simply looking for a payday after finding out who she was dealing with.

I will never understand why people feel that a woman (or anyone really) would want to open themselves to a crap tonne of ridicule, having their feelings/emotions invalidated and all of that - for a "payday." (also I would legit wonder if a loved one went to you (or anyone else) and said this happened to me, I filed a complaint," if the first reaction is "oh, hey sis, are you looking for a payday?"

i will also never get how the person who had the wrong thing done to them is wrong, for you know, doing what is in their legal rights to do (because that's all i keep sseeing) instead of you know, the drunk idiot who did the wrong thing.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
She literally said she heard giggling outside her car before anything and that dealing with drunk kids from the bar was a regular occurrence for her.

Stop trying to make the situation sound more sinister than it was. She was well aware of what the situation was, drunk kids playing around. They thought it would be funny but she clearly did not. All she had to do was explain why it wasn’t funny and move on with her life. She’s a piece of crap human being for pressing charges and I’d have the same view if it were your not-rich/famous son or daughter in Auston’s position.

People want to perceive athletes as gods levitating above us, higher beings incapable of anything stupid or making mistakes like us humans. Sorry, that’s not reality. Auston was still 21 at the time and he made a stupid albeit minor mistake. He should be held to a higher standard considering he’s a franchise player but I’m not going to rip him for a nothing-burger that caused no harm or distress to anyone. He’s clearly embarrassed, but as a fanbase and organization we should have his back.

When I think of "drunk kids" I don't think of a 21 year old professional athlete. Matthews is an adult now. If he committed any sort of serious crime he isn't going to juvy like a "kid" he's going to jail where other men go.

And lol so? How many of her drunk run in have three men pull up to her car and try to open the doors? So what if they're giggling? They can be dressed in baby bibs for all I care. When it's dark out and people try to get in your car that's messed up and fear is a more than fair emotion.

You're the one serving up athletes on a silver platter. You're really mad at the woman who was harrased for pressing charges? Come on don't be ridiculous. The only reason this is going to get out of hand is because Matthews plays professional hockey in Toronto. If Matthews was a dumb kid in university trying to break into people's cars for jokes and someone was pissed enough to press charges nobody bats an eye. You know why? Because an adult did something stupid and when you do something stupid it surprises no one when repercussions occur.

What Matthews did is dumb. A poster on HFboards doesn't get to decide whether or not this person should press charges. She can do whatever she wants. If Matthews doesn't want people to press charges against him don't go trying to break into people's cars. I don't want women to press charges against me, so I don't go out harassing them sober or drunk. It's really that simple. Instead of trying to coddle him let's hope he learns from this.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So with the video released of her interview she doesn’t even know who tried to open the door, and is only pressing charges because Matthews’ parents didn’t take the allegations seriously.

Did all 3 get charged?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So with the video released of her interview she doesn’t even know who tried to open the door, and is only pressing charges because Matthews’ parents didn’t take the allegations seriously.

Again the only people to blame is Matthews and his friends. Don’t go around f***ing with people. You don’t know how serious they will take it.

Why is the actual VICTIM (yes she’s a victim, no matter how small the crime is) taking so much heat for doing what’s her legal right?

This was a joke gone wrong, they took it too far. Honestly they should have apologized in the moment or tried to reach out the next day. They didn’t. Now it’s catching up with them.

It’s so funny because if this was a guy like Bracco or some other borderline prospect/AHL guy people would be calling for the organization to cut ties with them because they were stupid off ice. But because it’s our golden child Matthews people want to make excuses. Being an idiot isn’t exempt for Matthews

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Not only was the Matthews incident incredibly stupid and immature, it's hard to dismiss it as a random error in judgment.

First, the comment from his friend that Matthews was pulling crap like that all night up and down the street. Second, that building management supported action against Matthews because of repeated incidents with him. And finally, the idiocy of not telling the Leafs org and using their vast resources to solve the problem are all compounded stupidity.

It paints a picture of a young kid who has suddenly become a multi-millionaire and thinks that consequences don't apply to him. In which case, the best thing that could possibly happen to him is for this woman to press charges. Because if he continues down this road, he'll end up doing much worse things.

I think the Leafs fully intended to make Matthews the captain, but will have to reverse course and give it to JT - at least for a couple of years - and then re-visit and see if Matthews is ready then.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Again the only people to blame is Matthews and his friends. Don’t go around ****ing with people. You don’t know how serious they will take it.

Why is the actual VICTIM (yes she’s a victim, no matter how small the crime is) taking so much heat for doing what’s her legal right?

This was a joke gone wrong, they took it too far. Honestly they should have apologized in the moment or tried to reach out the next day. They didn’t. Now it’s catching up with them.

It’s so funny because if this was a guy like Bracco or some other borderline prospect/AHL guy people would be calling for the organization to cut ties with them because they were stupid off ice. But because it’s our golden child Matthews people want to make excuses. Being an idiot isn’t exempt for Matthews

So I made a post in the original thread about this stating that absolutely the security guard was legitimately scared by the incident, and that Matthews was incredibly stupid and immature.

That men also need to be better and more cognizant how they approach women (especially when it's late at night).

However there are parts of the victims story that don't seem to completely add up. She mentions that she locks her car when she does her paperwork at night. But when someone tries to open her car she gets out? And now this 'I'm only pressing charges because the family didn't take it seriously' and after she discovered it was Matthews and he's and NHL player. Also is Matthews the only being charged? That part I haven't see any word either way. Which is why it makes it questionable as to her intentions on the charge to Matthews.

Matthews was dumb, and yes it's catching up to him. He should have told the Leafs organization once he got the citation (although it sounds like he at least told his agent). He should have had better judgment period.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I will never understand why people feel that a woman (or anyone really) would want to open themselves to a crap tonne of ridicule, having their feelings/emotions invalidated and all of that - for a "payday." (also I would legit wonder if a loved one went to you (or anyone else) and said this happened to me, I filed a complaint," if the first reaction is "oh, hey sis, are you looking for a payday?"

i will also never get how the person who had the wrong thing done to them is wrong, for you know, doing what is in their legal rights to do (because that's all i keep sseeing) instead of you know, the drunk idiot who did the wrong thing.

“Women never lie”

Ten years after Duke Lacrosse rape hoax, media has learned nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad