Confirmed with Link: Leafs to name new captain... shortly

Who will be the captain?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Also I voted Marner because I'm hoping for a true underdog story, even though I'm heavily leaning towards Tavares. He loves the city, hes one of the very VERY few superstars to leave their teams in their prime he joined 7 years, he's been a captain, he left a place he loved for home.

He is the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Zebra

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I think the most likeable in my opinion... and they are all like-able. But it would be Reilly, loyal, good to the fans, just a good guy on and off the ice. The others are too excluding the mathews situation but Tavares is still pretty new and more serious which is cool but Reilly seems more of the charismatic type with fans, players, coaches and management.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We have been without a captain ever since Phaneuf left and I am fine with that, there is no rush and can wait another year or so

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder what the plan is for the Captains Wall?
It's currently full as it's laid out.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Coming around to the idea of JT since Matthews effectively destroyed his chances for the near future

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
A bit weird how Matthews was a foregone conclusion yet now we're getting reports that it was already decided to be someone else even before this news of Matthews became public. Very strange, almost feels like we're being gaslighted. That being said I never liked the idea of Matthews as captain so I'll be happy to see it go to either Tavares or Rielly.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I’d never have picked Ekblad to be the captain in Florida even if Barkov is quiet, doesn’t speak good English etc.. Never.
but its a big part of the job, barkov plays like 25mins a game they don't even need alternate captains ;), but like when Luongo was captain it was a disaster, but also how many defenceman actually get the C anyhow it usually goes to a center... can someone smarter than me look that up I'm actually curious to what the stats are on captains vs position?

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Having JT as captain is fine I guess, there have been teams where the best player isn't the captain. They pick the heart n soul guy.
remember when dustin brown was captain for LA? also didn't Marleau loose the C in san jose? of course here in TO it would spark a referendum of some sort...:popcorn:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s also telling that Matthews didn’t wear an “A” last night.

By the sounds of it, Shanny and Babcock wanted Tavares, while Dubas wanted Matthews
figures, Dubas wrong again............

edit: no wonder he looked so pissed yesterday.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Matthews can be the A and prove during these years that he's the only choice for C once Tavares is no longer in Toronto.

Datsyuk never wore the C in Detroit. Zetterberg got it very late. There's no shame in being a great leader and wearing the A. Lidstrom who is one of the greatest ever got it even later.

It seems like the C is some status thing for these kids these days. People who even themselves don't identify as great leaders want the C on their jersey. Usually those same people are the ones who also want the biggest contracts...
right now I couldn't think of a more appropriate letter for Mathews than a A. :biglaugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Also I voted Marner because I'm hoping for a true underdog story, even though I'm heavily leaning towards Tavares. He loves the city, hes one of the very VERY few superstars to leave their teams in their prime he joined 7 years, he's been a captain, he left a place he loved for home.

He is the Toronto Maple Leafs.
much like Mathews, I think Marner is too young to be the captain.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Like how do you manage to piss off everyone.

Don’t pay marner like Matthews. So marner is pissed.

Give Tavares the captaincy. After he has signed.

Pissing off Matthews and Rielly.

Makes no sense.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Brian Burke believes it will be J.T. based on his sources with the Leafs.

I can live with that choice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Like how do you manage to piss off everyone.

Don’t pay marner like Matthews. So marner is pissed.

Give Tavares the captaincy. After he has signed.

Pissing off Matthews and Rielly.

Makes no sense.
Can't make everyone happy. Paying Marner the contract he got was a big overpayment already. Paying him like Matthews would have been a joke. You don't get to name 3 captains either

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Can't make everyone happy. Paying Marner the contract he got was a big overpayment already. Paying him like Matthews would have been a joke. You don't get to name 3 captains either
The only one getting possibly pissed off here is matty. Rielly does not care at all about the C and does not expect when the franchise player is probably the best player to ever put the leaf jersey on.

Tavares just got here and was already captain for the islanders. Never expected it here either.

Everyone assumed it was matty and now this happens and looks to have changed everything. Last week, matty was captain and now he isnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad