Rumor: Leafs to buy out Komi

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Well, let's see. What did we get from Nashville? We basically bought Cody Franson for 7 million dollars (Lombardi's remaining money).

We should EASILY be able to get Strome for Dipietro...Strome himself is not worth 36 million dollars, LOL.

Incidentally, it's only $24M to buy out Dipetro. And remember, that's not a lump sum. It's $1.5M a year for 16 years.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Komi. not a good use of a buyout.

He has one year left and I think his salary drops,he could play 7th dman if need be or he could be cap lifting fodder for some teams,he certainly would be worth a late pick at deadline. If buyouts are worth money to some teams(NYI) why use one like this?

The most likely is Grabo.,especially if Bozak resigns at $3.5M.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
He has one year left and I think his salary drops,he could play 7th dman if need be or he could be cap lifting fodder for some teams,he certainly would be worth a late pick at deadline. If buyouts are worth money to some teams(NYI) why use one like this?

Who else are we gonna use it on? Grabovski maybe, but he will likely be given another year to redeem himself.

The NHL has put the kibosh on anything like the Lecavalier deal that was rumored...

NHL has notified GMs that league will not allow player to be traded, amnestied and then re-signed by original club, Post has learned.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Nonis is waiting until after the draft to use it. He will likely talk to teams about getting something for him.

If not, he will be gone.

Nonis (by the sounds of it) wants to make some big moves, and that 4.5 is essential.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Who else are we gonna use it on? Grabovski maybe, but he will likely be given another year to redeem himself.

The NHL has put the kibosh on anything like the Lecavalier deal that was rumored...

This makes you wonder if there was some truth to the Vinny to toronto rumours which prompted the NHL to step in.

If that's the case, all I can say is "Thank you for actually looking at ALL POSSIBLE options Mr. Nonis!" :handclap:

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
From Nonis' pressers yesterday, it really sounds like his plan is:

a) try and move our bad contracts (Liles, Grabbo, Komi) in a trade
b) try and see if he can get assets to make buying out someone elses problem worthwhile
c) see what additional assets he can get through trade (ie: Clarksons rights, etc)

and then:
d) see where he sits next week and decide what to do then based on what's left.

I for one applaud this approach!

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
From Nonis' pressers yesterday, it really sounds like his plan is:

a) try and move our bad contracts (Liles, Grabbo, Komi) in a trade
b) try and see if he can get assets to make buying out someone elses problem worthwhile
c) see what additional assets he can get through trade (ie: Clarksons rights, etc)

and then:
d) see where he sits next week and decide what to do then based on what's left.

I for one applaud this approach!

I'm excited for this, there could be some interesting options for reclamation projects who aren't expected to do a helluva lot anymore (ie: Lupul when he first got here).

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
They're shopping his buyout for a much worse buyout (like Vinny/Dipi)

Otherwise it would have already been announced like some other teams have already done with their buyouts.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

Thanks. Do you have a link to something about the NHL putting the kibosh on buyout manoeuvres? I would like to check that to figure out what is still possible.

I appreciate your help in this.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Otherwise it would have already been announced like some other teams have already done with their buyouts.

The difference being is that a team like Philly is already over the cap for next year and needs to sign more players ..

So their buyouts timing are based on need to get players like newly signed Mark Streit and soon Claude Giroux re-signed and comply with the cap.

Nonis isn't in the same position at present where he needs to make room prior to the entry draft, in order to make roster moves.

He can buyout Komisarek prior to July 5th UFA season.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto

You could be right, or this could be simply Nonis' modus operandi. Not showing his cards before he has to. Komi's cap space is not needed yet and there are still lots of balls in the air. He has until July 4th to pull the trigger on a Komi compliance buyout and regardless of whether the decision has or has not been made, there is no reason to announce it until the last moment. After all, being a GM can be a lot like being in a poker game.

EDDIE20*

Incidentally, it's only $24M to buy out Dipetro. And remember, that's not a lump sum. It's $1.5M a year for 16 years.

Wow. Must be nice to know you're getting $1.5M a year for a long time without even having to play another game. Quite the severence package.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad