Rumor: Leafs to buy out Komi

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
This makes zero sense and would be a mistake given he has 1 year left and to use 1 of our 2 buyouts on him

This would mean its less likely were bringing in an expensive contract with assets

This would be a lost oppurtunity to get a great prospect for nothing but cash which according to everyone were overflowing with and willing to spend it...This actually says the opposite if true

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
This makes zero sense and would be a mistake given he has 1 year left and to use 1 of our 2 buyouts on him
This would mean its less likely were bringing in an expensive contract with assets

This would be a lost oppurtunity to get a great prospect for nothing but cash which according to everyone were overflowing with and willing to spend it...This actually says the opposite if true

took the words right out of my mouth, a cap floor team should be interested

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008

Meh. If true, we still have one left and he was the only player with big money that for sure wasn't going to play with the big club next year.

Liles is still movable at his cap hit, so I think we'll be fine if the opportunity to take on someone's buyout presents itself.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
If the leafs are feeling nice and want to give him a chance to play (much like what I think happened with Armstrong), they will buy him out. I'm hoping they only buy him out if something comes up and NEED to buy him out to get under the cap. Would rather just let his contract expire if possible.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Aren't people forgetting the obvious fact that if we're buying him out we must have an alternate use for the $3.5M that his salary clears up?

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
took the words right out of my mouth, a cap floor team should be interested

I'm sure Nonis has tried trading him, but if rumors of us taking on salary or going after Clarkson and Weiss are true, we likely needed the cap space before July 5th.

Either way, it's not worth getting upset over since the return would have likely been a late round pick at best.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Question is can they buy him out without using one of their compliance buyouts? just a regular buyout?

I'm in agreement that it's pointless to buy him out unless they absolutely needed the cap space.. but why go hard this year? They need capspace NEXT year when Phaneuf and Kessels contracts expire.

Komi and Liles have value.. Liles is a 40 point D man for under 4 million.. has to be a team that can use a puck mover for that. even if they don't get back the 2nd the leafs paid for him.. 3rd 4th rounder even

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
If true we have more cap space than we can possible use...I hope this is not the Ontario Teachers Union in action again treating MLSE as a cash cow

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Question is can they buy him out without using one of their compliance buyouts? just a regular buyout?

I'm in agreement that it's pointless to buy him out unless they absolutely needed the cap space.. but why go hard this year? They need capspace NEXT year when Phaneuf and Kessels contracts expire.

Komi and Liles have value.. Liles is a 40 point D man for under 4 million.. has to be a team that can use a puck mover for that. even if they don't get back the 2nd the leafs paid for him.. 3rd 4th rounder even

Becuase then Komi contract counts against the salary cap for the next few years. It doesn't make sense to buy him out at all unless they absolutly need his cap space. But are the Leafs not in decent shape with respect to next year's salary cap?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
so people on here think that Nonis didn't bother trying to shop Komi for anything?

another mensa meeting in session here boys.

Komi has negative value. nobody wants him with his current contract.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Becuase then Komi contract counts against the salary cap for the next few years. It doesn't make sense to buy him out at all unless they absolutly need his cap space. But are the Leafs not in decent shape with respect to next year's salary cap?

They seem ok on the surface but they've got quite a few $$ they'll need to spend to sign players like Kadri and Franson, Gunnerson.

Personally i'm hoping Kadri signs a deal that takes him to UFA status so a 3 year deal averaging 3.5 million.. Franson should be 2 years at 2.5-3.0 million after the season he had. and Gunnerson has been on the top pair all year so i'm guessing that has worth.. add in Joe colborne at a million ish.. Bozak and MacArthur and they could be against the cap before we know it.

I'm hoping they let bozak and mac walk TBH.. Frattin can replace MAC Imo and Bozak can be replaced via trade or a short term Ufa signing.. Brier perhaps?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Aren't we supposed add some type of link from an at least semi-credible source when posting a rumour? No offence OP, but just because you say that this is a rumour, doesn't mean doesn't mean it's an "actual" rumour.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Aren't we supposed add some type of link from an at least semi-credible source when posting a rumour? No offence OP, but just because you say that this is a rumour, doesn't mean doesn't mean it's an "actual" rumour.

The source was Kypreos on Sportsnet most recently. No link, on TV.. although it's been all over twitter the last few days.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The source was Kypreos on Sportsnet most recently. No link, on TV.. although it's been all over twitter the last few days.

Fair enough.

Should probably be mentioned in the OP that "Kypreos said" or something to that effect.

I'll take off my Posting Cop hat now. :D

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
I know OTPP does not own the Leafs but this move is something they would have done for the cost cutting alone

We have a great chance to add to players with expensive deals that we can buyout next year and reap prospects and 1st round picks to take them on...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's been speculated since the end of the season, not really a rumour.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Maybe they think there cap situation will be decent still when all of the dust settles and will just use a regular buyout on Komi.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Maybe they think there cap situation will be decent still when all of the dust settles and will just use a regular buyout on Komi.

Yea that's what I think too. They won't use a compliance/amnesty on him but probably will still buy him out.

The cap penalty will be only for 2 years at:

2013-14: $2,166,667
2014-15: $1,166,667

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
To be honest, I think Komi is the only candidate. Otherwise, we can utilize our buyout options in transactions to help bail out other teams in exchange for assets.

The notion of using buyouts on Grabo and Liles is ludicrous. These guys can still contribute effectively at the NHL level, and although their salaries seem bloated at the moment, they are both capable of bouncing back with solid seasons next year. I would keep Liles and Grabo as trade bait down the road.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Yea that's what I think too. They won't use a compliance/amnesty on him but probably will still buy him out.

The cap penalty will be only for 2 years at:

2013-14: $2,166,667
2014-15: $1,166,667

Seems dumb to me. They're only getting a 1.2 million discount on his one year @ 4.5m which will have 0 cap hit if Komi is in the minors.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Seems dumb to me. They're only getting a 1.2 million discount on his one year @ 4.5m which will have 0 cap hit if Komi is in the minors.

Unfortunately even if we demote him most of his cap hit stays on our books, the new CBA eliminated that old rule and only allows a team with a demoted player 950k in cap relief or something, which would mean that 3.55 million of Komi's cap hit next year will stay with us whether we demote him or not.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Komisarek has no value. Not claimed for free on waivers and he was bad for the Marlies.

You can't bury players anymore. The cap hit stays for the most part.

He's the only player that fits the compliance buyout and he will be bought out no matter what.

He's done as a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad