Rumor: Leafs to buy out Komi

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This $4.5 million is worse than Jeff Finger...what were our pro scouts thinking???

They thought they were getting a divisional rival's top-pairing, 25+ minute, all-star defenceman who they were about to name captain. They were right. He just **** the bed for some reason as soon as he got here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Komisarek is that last surviving member of L.A.C.K. (Lombardi, Armstrong, Connolly & Komi)

In just 1 calender year after Komisarek is bought out it will finally be over.

2 buyouts, 1 salary eating trade, 2 players dumped in the AHL with one expiring contract. What a mess, and waste of money, cap, time and effort as there wasn't a useful player in the bunch.

Hopefully Nonis will learn from this disaster and make better decisions so Leaf Nation doesn't have to go through that again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They thought they were getting a divisional rival's top-pairing, 25+ minute, all-star defenceman who they were about to name captain. They were right. He just **** the bed for some reason as soon as he got here.
At the time when Komisarek signed his deal I remember people saying it wasn't a lot because I think some expected him to sign for a little bit more. Plus compared to other UFA deals signed after him I would say that $4.5 million looked like a bargin on paper. However like you said for some reason Komisarek never got use to playing in Toronto and maybe it had to do with him trying to much in his first regular season game with them that was played against Montreal.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
people are overlooking the fact that it seems must GMs don't think he is an NHL caliber player at this point.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

He was bad the year before he got here too, but I gotta admit there was one year with Montreal he was one of the best defensive defenseman i've ever seen, rock solid defensively and destroying everybody.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we cannot waste $4.5m on a minor leaguer again. buying him out is a nobrainer.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009

Ron Wilson ruined his career with that atrocious style of play he implemented. Everyone who was not fast got exposed for being a pylon. Even a guy like Phaneuf was made out to be a pylon with that system

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I'm sure Nonis did try and trade Komisarek and I find it a bit surprising no one would take on his contract considering that he only has 1 year left. However if they use this extra salary cap space hopefully Nonis will spend it the right way.

he was always 100x better than holzer and o'bryne.

maybe we can atleast trade him for another team's compliance buyout (higher dollar value) and an asset.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Question is can they buy him out without using one of their compliance buyouts? just a regular buyout?

I'm in agreement that it's pointless to buy him out unless they absolutely needed the cap space.. but why go hard this year? They need capspace NEXT year when Phaneuf and Kessels contracts expire.

Komi and Liles have value.. Liles is a 40 point D man for under 4 million.. has to be a team that can use a puck mover for that. even if they don't get back the 2nd the leafs paid for him.. 3rd 4th rounder even

It's more Kessel than anything. I don't see Phaneuf getting much more then what he already makes. That's not a slight towards Phaneuf either, I think that his 6.5 contract is fair and around what other top Dmen are getting. So if Phaneuf stays the same then he doesn't affect our cap any more than it already does.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Komisarek is that last surviving member of L.A.C.K. (Lombardi, Armstrong, Connolly & Komi)

In just 1 calender year after Komisarek is bought out it will finally be over.

2 buyouts, 1 salary eating trade, 2 players dumped in the AHL with one expiring contract. What a mess, and waste of money, cap, time and effort as there wasn't a useful player in the bunch.

Hopefully Nonis will learn from this disaster and make better decisions so Leaf Nation doesn't have to go through that again.

:laugh:

You say this like Nonis hasn't been Burke's right-hand man and hasn't contributed to a lot of the acquisitions.

TorBills

Oct 5, 2008
Perhaps the rumor is around because the Leafs are looking to buy out another team's contract in a trade to gains picks/young players. The Leafs might not want to appear desperate to do so and are saying that they have other usage for the buyout. Thus, the Leafs put themselves in a better position to seek more in a compliance buy-out trade.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I know OTPP does not own the Leafs but this move is something they would have done for the cost cutting alone

We have a great chance to add to players with expensive deals that we can buyout next year and reap prospects and 1st round picks to take them on...

That's a myth. Nobody will give you any worthy prospects or first round picks just to get rid of a bad contract.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
I hope the only way the Leafs use an amnesty buyout on Komisarek, is if they have exhausted all other means of getting rid of him and uses for those buyouts. Seems like a waste using them on a 1 year contract if you can use them on other teams buyouts to gain significant assets.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope the only way the Leafs use an amnesty buyout on Komisarek, is if they have exhausted all other means of getting rid of him and uses for those buyouts. Seems like a waste using them on a 1 year contract if you can use them on other teams buyouts to gain significant assets.

People keep talking about that, but which teams have the desire to give up significant assets in order to get rid of a bad contract?

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
People keep talking about that, but which teams have the desire to give up significant assets in order to get rid of a bad contract?

Maybe no teams would want to do that, then I`d be ok with buying out Komi. Until Nonis looks under every rock and behind every curtain to find a better use for the buyouts, or to get rid of Komi first, I`d be reluctant to use one on a one year deal.

I have no idea what Nonis is discussing with other GMs or who would do what. All I can do is discuss and speculate it on HFBoards!!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I would think Vancouver and NYI are obvious. How "significant" is not clear, and how motivated the
Leafs or any other club might be to eat that massive coin is not clear. To a fan, or a GM charged with bringing a winner at any cost, the cash for prospect exchange is obvious, but this presupposes a disinterest in the bottom line that may not be realistic. If they need to carry the boat anchor contract to next years off season that is really a sign a club is writing of this season, and that doesn't seem likely with this year' Leaf club.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Can you use your amnesty buyout on a player that was very recently traded to you?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

It's pretty safe to say Nonis has shopped Komi and will try to move him without using one of our 2 buyouts on him .

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The notion of using buyouts on Grabo and Liles is ludicrous. These guys can still contribute effectively at the NHL level, and although their salaries seem bloated at the moment, they are both capable of bouncing back with solid seasons next year. I would keep Liles and Grabo as trade bait down the road.

100% true

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Are there no teams that need to hit the cap floor? Calgary is looking like they will need some why nit throw Komi there for like 2016 7th. He'll help them get that #1 pick next year as well.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Are there no teams that need to hit the cap floor? Calgary is looking like they will need some why nit throw Komi there for like 2016 7th. He'll help them get that #1 pick next year as well.

Yeah, but it's the year after that they really want it, and Komisarek's contract will be expired before then :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Keep in mind, because the cap ceiling dropped as a result of the lockout and readjustment, that means that the cap floor dropped similarly.

So now teams at the bottom are required to spend less than last season on player personnel.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Can you use your amnesty buyout on a player that was very recently traded to you?

I've not seen a definitive answer to this one, although the implication is that you can. While it is fun to speculate on the potential of getting a windfall of assets in return for taking on someone else's buyout candidates, I think that there will be very little "big" dollar (over $10M) compliance buyouts this month. In the history of buyouts, no team has spent over $10M to buyout any particular player (except for NYI's buyout of Yashin). Teams love their cash as much as you or I do. Most of the buyouts will be in Briere range (less than $5M) which Komi's would be. There is more potential for the big dollar buyouts in the 2014 compliance window.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010

Franson + Lombardi for lebda

lombardi was thought to be done for and placed on LTIR after his concussion - was expected to be a savard -type of player. Nashville didn't want to pay 7 million to lombardi so they packaged him with franson and got lebda. lebda got bought out for $1million by nashville before he even played a game. Nothing more than a financial trade by a poor team to a rich team.

For example, if boston really wanted to get rid of Savard's contract (i.e. didn't want to pay it), they could package him along with a pick/prospect to the leafs to eat that contract. Boston's not losing money so they obviously don't need to do this kind of trade.

Last edited:

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
This is dumb.

He's got one more year left, just ride it out. He can play for the Marlies and be depth if we need it. Save the compliance buyout for a heftier contract.

Right now the Leafs should be exploring every opportunity to dump Liles. If they can't, he should be their first buyout. That contract was a mistake since day one. Liles is still good but Gardiner is better and Rielly is right behind both of them.

The second buyout should be saved for next year in case Grabovski lays an egg again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad