Rumor: Leafs to buy out Komi

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Who else would we buyout though? Liles? Grabo? Both are serviceable players that actually have some trade value. Either Nonis is planning on keeping them both or has a trade planned for either of them.

This means that they have some extra cap room to sign guys like Bernier, Kadri, Franson, etc.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Maybe they won't amnesty him.. one way or the other it's time to cut ties, it just is, that's how the real world rolls in the NHL. He's got one year left, the decent thing to do is cut him loose and let him start over. They will do that. He's taken his failure here like a man and a good teammate, and he deserves a shot elsewhere. I would amnesty him myself, I think you can move Liles or Grabs if you feel like it.

Toad

May 18, 2013
Take it for what it is, but TSN doesn't mention the word 'compliance' once in their article on the Leafs buying out Komisarek.

Could be just a regular buyout, which wouldn't be bad since the Leafs retain the two compliances for longer-term contracts. But we don't know for sure either way (yet).

IF it is a normal buyout, then the cap hit for Komi for the next two seasons would be $2,166,667 and $1,166,667, respectively (according to capgeek). This means the Leafs would gain $2,333,333 in cap space for 2013-14, but would lose $1,166,667 in cap space for 2014-15.

However, that loss in the second year might end up being negated if the cap goes up following next season (which is fairly probable, IMO). But we'll see what happens.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though; I'm far from being an expert in this department...

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Cap is going to rocket up next year.. bank it. Concern is more of the 2.16 this year on a regular buyout for Komi then the 1.16 next year. I think we'll need that 2.16 this year once it all shakes down,

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
i'd rather let komi play for the marlies and use the amnesty to "help" another team out.

If a club sends a player down, doesn't the new CBA say you can only bury the league minimum salary, with everything else still counting against the cap? So Komi still taps them for around $3.5?

Edit . a) In the case of a one-way SPC, the AA of such SPC less the then applicable NHL Minimum
Salary plus $375,000 (e.g., currently $900,000) will be counted against the Club’s
Averaged Club Salary

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I think Komi is a good guy, and at the very least still a 5-6 defenseman.

He just got a paycheck and an all-star appearance being the complementary player to Markov in Montreal which inflated his potential far too much.

Burke signed him out of necessity. When he came here the Leafs blueline had a bunch of castoffs and kinda's playing for it.

But he never lived up to his potential and his contract. He couldn't play Wilson-style hockey.

Going out on a limb, I think he *could* be useful in a Carlyle-style system, and he was, in fact doing okay the 10 games he played before the Leafs decided to bury him in the AHL.

Kostka and Holzer were certainly not that much better than Komisarek. Komisarek's problem is his skating and stick-handling, which is his downfall. Plus when he needed to step up and challenge Lucic and the Bruins he seemed to play scared.

At any rate, not to knock the guy too much, but the best of luck to him elsewhere.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Going out on a limb, I think he *could* be useful in a Carlyle-style system, and he was, in fact doing okay the 10 games he played before the Leafs decided to bury him in the AHL.
Not trying to be a dick or anything but Komi played the first 4 games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It really makes you wonder what would have happened if Komi didn't have that eye injury, because before that he was playing well within the Carlyle system. but he clearly must have done something no to warrant another chance.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His cap hit in the AHL is 3.6 (ish).

Unless the Leafs trade for a buy-out candidate, using one on Komisarek does make sense.

However, it seems almost a waste to amnesty a 1 year deal when there are some really bad contracts out there. The rules of the amnesty are concerning, from what I've read the player has to be on your Trade Deadline Roster in order to buyout, but it is written in such as way to suggest there might be two buyout periods, and only the first buyout period requires the player to be on the TDD roster. It doesn't say year 1 and year 2, so I'm not sure.

We've heard NHL management say they might take advantage, and they should know the facts ... should ... Calgary anyone?

Let's say the Leafs did this ...

Amnesty Komisarek
Trade for Dipietro, demote him to AHL.

Current cap hits (while in minors):

Komisarek 3.6
DiPietro 3.6

Next year Leafs buyout DiPietro.

I really don't see how the Leafs couldn't do a Komisarek for DiPietro deal, since it still saves the Islanders one billion dollars. :sarcasm:

I don't really see anything else to get excited about the new CBA for the Leafs except this opportunity.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah, I can see a Komi for Dipietro swap with a 1st or top prospect.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 4m

Dave Nonis tells @timandsid that the #leafs won't use a compliance buyout before the draft. "We're going to take our time."

--

Which means if Komi gets bought out it will be a regular buy out not an amnesty

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Dave Nonis tells @timandsid that the #leafs won't use a compliance buyout before the draft. "We're going to take our time."

--

I think they are going to take their time, in case someone actually wants to put an offer out for him.

If a team wanted to take him and the Leafs would retain a majority of the salary (as much as possible under the new cba) then it would be smart to wait.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

--

Grabovski is 99.9% going to be amnestied next year if he isn't traded before that.

Komisarek should be bought out with a regular buy out..keeping both our freebies.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I think they are going to take their time, in case someone actually wants to put an offer out for him.

If a team wanted to take him and the Leafs would retain a majority of the salary (as much as possible under the new cba) then it would be smart to wait.

The draft is this weekend. There will still be 4 days after the draft that the compliance buyouts can be used.

It's also possible that Nonis is in talks with others GMs that include draft positions from this year's draft. For example, if Nonis is thinking about buying out Komi/Grabo/Liles, he could be trying to package those players with later round draft picks in exchange for another team's higher draft pick. That could be the reason he said that no compliance buyouts would be made before the draft.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
i was thinking of the whole DiPietro thing last night..i really do wonder how much we could get from the islanders if we were to trade for him, i'd bet they would be willing to give up a lot..this would be a good way to take advantage..i don't quite buy into the people saying that MLSE would not approve of this buyout, depends on what we can get back..i cringe when i say this but 36 million is spare change to MLSE

Mar 26, 2010
As long as he is not in the line up opening night for next season we are good!

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Well, let's see. What did we get from Nashville? We basically bought Cody Franson for 7 million dollars (Lombardi's remaining money).

We should EASILY be able to get Strome for Dipietro...Strome himself is not worth 36 million dollars, LOL.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Grabovski is 99.9% going to be amnestied next year if he isn't traded before that.

Komisarek should be bought out with a regular buy out..keeping both our freebies.

How is it almost 100% that Grabo gets amnestied next year? You're saying that if gets back to his 50 point form that the Leafs are still going to amnesty him?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Take it for what it is, but TSN doesn't mention the word 'compliance' once in their article on the Leafs buying out Komisarek.

Could be just a regular buyout, which wouldn't be bad since the Leafs retain the two compliances for longer-term contracts. But we don't know for sure either way (yet).

IF it is a normal buyout, then the cap hit for Komi for the next two seasons would be $2,166,667 and $1,166,667, respectively (according to capgeek). This means the Leafs would gain $2,333,333 in cap space for 2013-14, but would lose $1,166,667 in cap space for 2014-15.

However, that loss in the second year might end up being negated if the cap goes up following next season (which is fairly probable, IMO). But we'll see what happens.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though; I'm far from being an expert in this department...

This is the smart route. Buy out Komi with a regular buy-out, buy out Grabo with a compliance buy out, and trade Liles for a 5th round pick or whatever you can get - that gives us $11.7 million extra space this summer - and with Tucker and Armstrong coming off the books next year, along with the cap going up, we can eat the extra $1.66 million next year no problem.

This also gives us an extra compliance buy to use in acquiring an additional asset or two! :naughty:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

--

Or it means that they'll use a compliance buyout on Komi after the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad