Eklund Rumor: Leafs talking to Markov

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
That's all fine and good, and he did very well when he played. I take back him being on Zaitsev's level for sure. That was incorrect.

But I see Rielly facing much tougher competition, and his numbers not being much worse at all. Especially when Rielly didn't have Zaitsev as a partner.

Thinking he's on Gardiner's level right now is silly though.

Offensively there's a pretty big gap between 0.6 points per games and 0.36, which is the difference between Markov and Rielly.

Even without Zaitsev, Toronto was outscored while he was on the ice although his possession numbers were a bit better, but still not as good as Markov's.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Are you serious? I know it's an Eklund rumor but this seems like an absolutely shameless and salacious attempt at clickbait. Link below.

"It had been speculated in the past that Markov could make sense in Toronto...it feels like a very Lou move to me." - Eklund

I was thinking Bergevin would get desperate and cave to Markov's contract demands in light of the terrible off-season the Habs have been having. Then that didn't occur and I was quite happy.

Now, my second favorite team is rumored to be going after him. Would Markov even be a possibility in Toronto, or a good fit? I don't think so. Good thing it's Eklund and probably will never come to be.

The only way I see Lou going after Markov is if they really want to upgrade at D due to a lack of options, and a trade proposal involving JVR not working out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Leafs-Talking-to-Markov-e4/1/86459

I agree, this would be a very Lou type of move. A veteran signing for multiple years and it would also be the 4th 36-38 year old signing by the Leafs this summer if it did happen. Turning the Leafs from one of the youngest last year to one of the more experienced teams. If I were them I would tread lightly. But yes, this would represent one of Eklund's more logical guesses.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Shea Weber was.

And that's not saying much.

He outplayed Jeff Petry dish.

Woopdie doo.

Nope. He was markedly better than Weber.

Markov would still be one of the best defenseman on the Leafs next season too.

The worst kind of Leafs/Habs fans are those that can't appreciate the talents on the other side.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nope. He was markedly better than Weber.

Hunwick out-produced Weber at even strength. Weber had <5 points at ES last year.

It's not saying much. The illusion of Weber being a great #1A d-man the last few years is exactly that. He hasn't been one for at least 2 seasons now, at minimum.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Offensively there's a pretty big gap between 0.6 points per games and 0.36, which is the difference between Markov and Rielly.

PP accounts for a lot of that difference. Rielly gets very limited PP time in the Leafs 4F/1D setup and their system doesn't really involve defenders anyways (despite the #2 PP, no defensemen really put up big numbers). It was 0.37 to 0.29 in Markov's favour at EV. Definitely still an edge, but certainly less pronounced.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Hunwick out-produced Weber at even strength. Weber had <5 points at ES last year.

It's not saying much. The illusion of Weber being a great #1A d-man the last few years is exactly that. He hasn't been one for at least 2 seasons now, at minimum.

Yeah right. If we were going to the Olympics this year Babcock would have him there again in the top 4. Of course what would he know about hockey.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yeah right. If we were going to the Olympics this year Babcock would have him there again in the top 4. Of course what would he know about hockey.

Also you have your stats wrong he had 5 goals at even strength and 15 assists. 17 goals total solid defensively logs huge minutes

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
If he has to move on from Montreal, it's possible. He has Canadian citizenship and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay in Canada. But cap space is a thing so maybe, maybe not.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If he has to move on from Montreal, it's possible. He has Canadian citizenship and I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay in Canada. But cap space is a thing so maybe, maybe not.

On a 2 year deal I'd gladly take him. 3 years? Nope. And that's exactly what he's pushing for, the third year. He's still a top pairing D and I wouldn't be shocked to see a GM give in to his demands.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens should be looking at Markov honestly. A 1 year deal would be perfect. Could play with Ceci or Karlsson and give some time to Chabot to really be ready and give him another mentor. Markov on a 1 year deal is a great catch for any team. Still a very good defensemen even if slow. He's extremely smart and his decision making/positioning makes it a lot less of an issue.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He's still a cool #3 or elite #4. He would be the #4 in TO.

Hmmm
Nah man, Markov is still a top 2 dman. The speed isn't there but he is still VERY good.
No, he's worse than Gardiner and Rielly. He's about Zaitsev level.

He would without a doubt be a better player than Hainsey though, so there's that.
Oh come on. Markov was arguably the Habs best dman last year, no shame admitting he would be your best defender, the guy is still a force. Ridiculously underrated.

I'd rather bring back Tomas Kaberle.

Markov is done.
Based on what? He would easily be your best defender and that is nothing bad.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Even without Zaitsev, Toronto was outscored while he was on the ice although his possession numbers were a bit better, but still not as good as Markov's.

Markov was 0.58ppg.

Markov had 24 ES pts to Reillys 22. Morgan got less than a minute/game on the PP (11th among leafs regulars) vs the 2:30+ Markov got (4th among habs)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Nah man, Markov is still a top 2 dman. The speed isn't there but he is still VERY good.

Oh come on. Markov was arguably the Habs best dman last year, no shame admitting he would be your best defender, the guy is still a force. Ridiculously underrated.

Based on what? He would easily be your best defender and that is nothing bad.

no he wouldnt. he isnt as good as gardiner, and i doubt he is as good as rielly either

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
PP accounts for a lot of that difference. Rielly gets very limited PP time in the Leafs 4F/1D setup and their system doesn't really involve defenders anyways (despite the #2 PP, no defensemen really put up big numbers). It was 0.37 to 0.29 in Markov's favour at EV. Definitely still an edge, but certainly less pronounced.

If you have no good dmen for the powerplay why make a system for them

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I honestly think Eklund is some sort of gag blog. Like it's not even a serious thing.
We don't even know the guys first name, or anything about him. Why is he considered a source? Could just be a bunch of teenagers running a rumor mill.

u can get more rumors hanging around junior hockey games ,eklund get his crap from mike from buffalo .who I think was andy frost's relative.
if u get anything ouuta the leafs camp ,its leaked purposely to credited media sources .no way eklund gets anything ,other than maybe calling bill watters at his cottage and putting him on buzzcast :yo::yo::yo:

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Markov was 0.58ppg.

Markov had 24 ES pts to Reillys 22. Morgan got less than a minute/game on the PP (11th among leafs regulars) vs the 2:30+ Markov got (4th among habs)

I don't get the point of removing PP points here. Part of what makes Markov good is his PP skills, so why not consider them? If Reilly was as good as Markov on the PP he'd have more PP time and more PP points.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I don't get the point of removing PP points here. Part of what makes Markov good is his PP skills, so why not consider them? If Reilly was as good as Markov on the PP he'd have more PP time and more PP points.

He'll surely help the young defensemen grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad