Eklund Rumor: Leafs talking to Markov

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Scroll down slightly and there are 4 parts of a signing telling Leaf fans how screwed they are for signing Marleau and laughing at Leaf fans.... and then people are now flip flopping and saying they should give another vet term?

Gotta love it. Can't win can they?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Hunwick out-produced Weber at even strength. Weber had <5 points at ES last year.

It's not saying much. The illusion of Weber being a great #1A d-man the last few years is exactly that. He hasn't been one for at least 2 seasons now, at minimum.

No he didn't, you're making stats up. Weber had 17 points at ES this year. He's absolutely still an elite #1 defenseman, he played the most minutes on a team that finished 4th in the league in GA and had the lowest GA/60 in the entire league while facing tough competition every night.

PP accounts for a lot of that difference. Rielly gets very limited PP time in the Leafs 4F/1D setup and their system doesn't really involve defenders anyways (despite the #2 PP, no defensemen really put up big numbers). It was 0.37 to 0.29 in Markov's favour at EV. Definitely still an edge, but certainly less pronounced.

So? Producing on the PP is a skill. Paul Byron produced more at ES than Nylander, doesn't mean they're the same offensively.

Markov was 0.58ppg.

Markov had 24 ES pts to Reillys 22. Morgan got less than a minute/game on the PP (11th among leafs regulars) vs the 2:30+ Markov got (4th among habs)

Let's try that logic with some other players.

Paul Byron had 38 ES pts to Nylander's 35. Byron got only about 30 seconds of PP time per game compared to 2 and a half minutes per game for Nylander.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Scroll down slightly and there are 4 parts of a signing telling Leaf fans how screwed they are for signing Marleau and laughing at Leaf fans.... and then people are now flip flopping and saying they should give another vet term?

Gotta love it. Can't win can they?

Leafs had room for one vet contract with Horton and Lupul on IR

they have ~3.5m to sign connor brown, I don't see how they sign Markov and brown

I'd much rather have Connor Brown locked up for 4+ years than markov here even though our D is thin

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs had room for one vet contract with Horton and Lupul on IR

they have ~3.5m to sign connor brown, I don't see how they sign Markov and brown

I'd much rather have Connor Brown locked up for 4+ years than markov here even though our D is thin

Not only that, if Markov would take 1 year he'd already be signed by the Habs. How fans can mock Leafs management in one thread for giving term to a guy like Marleau, and then some of the SAME users can mock Leaf fans for not having interest in signing Markov until he is 42, is hilarious.

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
Didn't want to start a thread for this, but this got me thinking. Is Markov HOF material? Certainly at least on that just-below tier. Wondering what thoughts are.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Not only that, if Markov would take 1 year he'd already be signed by the Habs. How fans can mock Leafs management in one thread for giving term to a guy like Marleau, and then some of the SAME users can mock Leaf fans for not having interest in signing Markov until he is 42, is hilarious.

Why do you care so much about what others say? Seriously the persecution complex is so annoying.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I don't get the point of removing PP points here. Part of what makes Markov good is his PP skills, so why not consider them? If Reilly was as good as Markov on the PP he'd have more PP time and more PP points.

Babcock uses a 4-forward PP deployment, the lone defenseman needs to be a shooter which Rielly is not and both Gardiner and Zaitsev are. Rielly is a more than capable PP QB, our system just doesn't use one. Both Gardiner and Zaitsev are more than capable in the role, acquiring Markov just for that doesn't make much sense

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Didn't want to start a thread for this, but this got me thinking. Is Markov HOF material? Certainly at least on that just-below tier. Wondering what thoughts are.

I don't think he'll enter the HOF. But he had a really, really good career. On of the best Habs ever on the D. The knock on him would be all the seasons he missed because of his damn knee.

Still, one of the more intelligent D-Man I've ever seen, on the top 5 in the league in his prime, most likely

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
No he didn't, you're making stats up. Weber had 17 points at ES this year. He's absolutely still an elite #1 defenseman

It was a typo, he had 5 ES goals and 17 ES points. Hunwick had 19 ES points. The point still stands, Hunwick outproduced Weber at ES.

Weber is still a top pairing d-man but his suppression stats have mediocre->poor for some time now. His rel CF% has been on an alarming, downward trajectory for the most part. And not every d-man has had the luxury of Suter, Josi as partners and Rinne/Price in net. He's no longer a #1A d-man.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Rumor is he wants 2 years at 6 million.

I think this make more sense if the Leafs hadnt done the Hainsey deal.
Saying that signing Markov would mean he is either 3rd pair, or one of Reilly/Gardiner is playing their off hand side which Babs doesnt like.

Reilly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Hainsey
Markov - Carrick

Dont think we have the money unless he signs 1 y ear 6 million dollar deal, and we move a forward like JVR/Bozak and let a young cheaper guy take his place (I.e. move JVR and put Leivo/Kapanen in that spot). This would also keep Dermott in the AHL for another development year.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It was a typo, he had 5 ES goals and 17 ES points. Hunwick had 19 ES points. The point still stands, Hunwick outproduced Weber at ES.

Weber is still a top pairing d-man but his suppression stats have mediocre->poor for some time now. His rel CF% has been on an alarming, downward trajectory for the most part. And not every d-man has had the luxury of Suter, Josi as partners and Rinne/Price in net. He's no longer a #1A d-man.

meh, id still suck it up and take him on the leafs even if his numbers are inferior to hunwicks.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010

This is the issue I have with some advance stats, you bring up shots etc, but what about the context of those stats.. your saying he isn't elite because of those...

What would we find if we look to see how many of those shots are actually score chances or from the outside.. Weber gets all the matches up vs other team top lines, and with a ton of D-zone shift starts..

Guys like Subban, and Josi for example, truly play a 1A/B role, both do not face other teams top lines game in game out like a guy like Weber, ex playoffs, Josi-Ellis played vs Patrick Kane, and Crosby line.. and Ekholm-Subban got Getz and VT line vs the Ducks and Blues..

Also with a all the d-zone starts and tough matches up, its pretty crazy that I believe Weber was number in GA/ per 60min for Dmen in the league last year..

And before you credit Price for that, Price was I believe 6-7th in the league in SV%, Price last season was not the Price that won the Hart, Vezina etc..

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
markov if given a contract is only allowed a one year deal. his say 5 million this year with plekanecs 6 mil both expiring is for tavares next year. remaining four million from this year covers prices raise. That four million can be used on a rental this year if need be. next years cap climbing of approximate 2 mil to be used on danaults raise. so there is no need to rush out and spend the available space. Excellent time to give the hudons maccarrons scherbaks lernounts juulsens delaroses look sees to see what they have.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011

Probably not HOF material. Hall of very good, definitely, but his lack of hardware (I.e. No Cup, no Norris) will cost him.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
markov if given a contract is only allowed a one year deal. his say 5 million this year with plekanecs 6 mil both expiring is for tavares next year. remaining four million from this year covers prices raise. That four million can be used on a rental this year if need be. next years cap climbing of approximate 2 mil to be used on danaults raise. so there is no need to rush out and spend the available space. Excellent time to give the hudons maccarrons scherbaks lernounts juulsens delaroses look sees to see what they have.

If JT wants to win, why Montreal?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

He's first ballot in the Hall of Very Good. He never won any awards though and missing basically 3 seasons to injuries will hurt his candidacy as a compiler. Plus he's been overshadowed by guys like Subban and Weber.

The point stands that Paul Byron had more ES goals and points than Nylander this year.

Who did Weber play with this year? Not Suter/Jodi and he still played great and put up #1D numbers while playing about 3 minutes more than any other defender against top competition.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The point stands that Paul Byron had more ES goals and points than Nylander this year.

Who did Weber play with this year? Not Suter/Jodi and he still played great and put up #1D numbers while playing about 3 minutes more than any other defender against top competition.

wouldn't be making an argument against a player using 5v5 numbers, then pitching Weber having #1D numbers in the same sentence. More than half of Weber's points were on the PP, and he had top 10 PP minutes across NHL defensemen: http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...lter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=ppTimeOnIcePerGame

when you say "#1D numbers", do you mean point production?

should also be noted that Nylander's ES points were still in the top 90 in the NHL across all forwards. Good for Paul Byron that he was very productive 5v5, but Nylander's even strength production was still that of a 1st line player - despite a low OISH%. His PP production lands him in the company of guys like Seguin, Benn, McDavid, Draisatl, Kucherov, Crosby, Drouin, etc - so I think the (pretty obvious) way to see this is that Nylander was very good 5v5, and extremely impressive on the PP

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad