Eklund Rumor: Leafs talking to Markov

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Are you serious? I know it's an Eklund rumor but this seems like an absolutely shameless and salacious attempt at clickbait. Link below.

"It had been speculated in the past that Markov could make sense in Toronto...it feels like a very Lou move to me." - Eklund

I was thinking Bergevin would get desperate and cave to Markov's contract demands in light of the terrible off-season the Habs have been having. Then that didn't occur and I was quite happy.

Now, my second favorite team is rumored to be going after him. Would Markov even be a possibility in Toronto, or a good fit? I don't think so. Good thing it's Eklund and probably will never come to be.

The only way I see Lou going after Markov is if they really want to upgrade at D due to a lack of options, and a trade proposal involving JVR not working out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Leafs-Talking-to-Markov-e4/1/86459

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Are the Leafs trying to recreate 2002 or something? Maybe with Marleau and Markov they could bring back Sundin and maybe Saku Koivu :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Could work as a babysitter for the Leafs kids. Maybe they could throw him with Zaitsev and have him mentor him a bit one on one.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I honestly think Eklund is some sort of gag blog. Like it's not even a serious thing.
We don't even know the guys first name, or anything about him. Why is he considered a source? Could just be a bunch of teenagers running a rumor mill.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Are you serious? I know it's an Eklund rumor but this seems like an absolutely shameless and salacious attempt at clickbait. Link below.

"It had been speculated in the past that Markov could make sense in Toronto...it feels like a very Lou move to me." - Eklund

I was thinking Bergevin would get desperate and cave to Markov's contract demands in light of the terrible off-season the Habs have been having. Then that didn't occur and I was quite happy.

Now, my second favorite team is rumored to be going after him. Would Markov even be a possibility in Toronto, or a good fit? I don't think so. Good thing it's Eklund and probably will never come to be.

The only way I see Lou going after Markov is if they really want to upgrade at D due to a lack of options, and a trade proposal involving JVR not working out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Leafs-Talking-to-Markov-e4/1/86459

So...still based on nothing.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
He'd be a good veteran leader on the blue line. No secret we are still looking to upgrade our defense. It's Eklund though so I wouldn't put any merit to it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Allegedly he heard it from three different sources....so his uncle, the voice in his head, and a buddy who has a sick obsession with seeing Markov in a Leaf jersey :laugh:

Ooh, 3 sources is a good rumor!

Eklund just posts random rumors and hopes something sticks.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Apparently Eklund thinks Leafs offseason game plan is to load up on 35+ contracts.

Eklund or not, IMO Markov made more sense before signing Hainsey.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd believe it more if they didn't get Hainsey on July 1st instead. They also have a lot of kids who'll compete for a spot in the bottom-six and while it would make sense for Toronto to go after him considering reports that Toronto sees their window as being this time frame where the big trio is still on their ELCs, I still don't see it happening. I also don't think Markov would actually take an offer from Toronto.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If Markov would take a 2 year contract (or a Marleau style 3 year deal), that would be a great pick up. Maybe we're just trying to trade JVR/Bozak to get the cap space to sign him... which is why it's taking a while.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Leafs contacting Markov to see if he'd take a one or two year deal at $4m or so isn't crazy.

Leafs discussing offers approaching the rumored Markov ask of 2x $6m, yeah that's crazy.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Might be Eklund but it wouldn't surprise me at all (even though I have no idea what the Leafs cap is at the moment). Someone's gonna sign him for 2 years and use him in an intelligent manner, so nothing like what the Habs have been doing for the past few years... The Hainsey signing, in retrospect, might have been a huge mistake from Lou if this is what keeps them from signing Markov

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Markov would be our 3rd pairing LHD if a deal were to be made. We don't need anymore PMD LHD. And he's getting up there in age. The only way this might make sense is if we move Rielly to his off side, once again, which does him no favors.

We also don't have the cap to really absorb Markov without a move.

We don't really have a big need for the type of D-men Markov is.

Lastly, we have guys internally that will battle in camp for that last spot. Not only are these options far cheaper but it makes sense from a developmental standpoint.

Right now, that last spot is open to whoever takes it in camp- Marcinin, Dermott, Borgman, Rosen.

I doubt we have any interest.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Apparently Eklund thinks Leafs offseason game plan is to load up on 35+ contracts.

Eklund or not, IMO Markov made more sense before signing Hainsey.

Yes, the plan actually was to load up on 35+ contracts. The reason for this is that Matthews and Marner will need huge contracts in 2 years, and Nylander will need his in one year.

Essentially, we have a lot of extra cap space this year and next year, but we need that cap space in year 3. The only guys who want to sign 2 year contracts are guys who are 35+ (because no one is willing to give them longer term deals).

So we got Marleau, Hainsey, and Moore because their contracts will not cripple us long term, but they'll make our team better in the present. We couldn't get guys like Shattenkirk or Alzner (guys in the prime of their career) because we will need their cap space in 3 years (and they got 4 and 5 year deals).

We had so much extra cap space, it would be impossible to accumulate that much cap space via trades. We weren't interested in taking cap dumps because the rebuilding phase is over and we will try to win with our young stars on their ELCs.

The cap space needs to be spent or else it's basically just wasted. The Leafs have essentially infinite real dollars. So the plan was to sign a bunch of 35+ guys... have them play for the next 2 years, then we replace them with our prospects after 2 years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well there have been lots of pundits saying that Markov was looking for a two year deal, and also many saying that Toronto can spend a lot for two years. It's not until 3 years from now that they have to worry about the extensions on players like Matthews

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
just out of curiosity... is there a way to automatically block ALL thread with the prefix, Eklund?

anything that he writes is pure garbage... my co-worker's dad has more credibility than him FFS (Gaudreau, Monahan, Smith)

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I sure hope not. Markov is an old bum! Useless.

You obvious haven't seen him play. Guy is not fast but he is a hockey genius, thinks the game on a different level. So savvy. He's still superb defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad