Eklund Rumor: Leafs talking to Markov

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I always enjoy when people go to that trash site then make threads bashing it. Why are you going to the site to begin with? We all know it's crap. Is it still against the rules to bash that fraud?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Does Eklund have any sources inside Toronto or Montreal, I wonder...

He had one source in Philly many moons ago. Thats it. Hes never gotten anything else right. He's pretended to break news but that's the beauty of timestamps. He's trash and I wish I could see it was an Eklund thread on my mobile before clicking.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just remember that last year in June Eklund said the Flyers were looking at Yakupov...and the deal was for Sanheim + a pick. 3 months later Yak was traded for a conditional 3rd.

:laugh:

As for Markov, the Leafs adding him for 1 year is fine.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Eklund is about as reliable as hearing a rumor from someone standing in line at Tim Hortons. Hell I take that back random Tim Horton guy is probably more reliable then that goof

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It's amazing how many people still don't understand how a rumour works. It's very possible the leafs have talked to markov. If it actually happens is another story. It's just reporting on who a team might be talking to on his site.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I would have preferred Markov for two years than Marleau for two years. (and Marleau got three).

Signing Markov would mean likely JVR or Bozak is moved, who I think the Leafs need them this season. Not much NHL depth at LW or centre.

Reilly and Gardiner at LHD,,,and then Marincin (if Hainsey plays the right side). Leaf fans should hope Dermott is NHL ready. He looks like he going to be good but when?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
As a Hab fan I would hate to see this. Markov is one of the best passing defensemen of his generation and he would be a very interesting compliment to the Leaf's young forward core.

Simonizer

Sep 23, 2015
Markov would be our 3rd pairing LHD if a deal were to be made. We don't need anymore PMD LHD. And he's getting up there in age. The only way this might make sense is if we move Rielly to his off side, once again, which does him no favors.

We also don't have the cap to really absorb Markov without a move.

We don't really have a big need for the type of D-men Markov is.

Lastly, we have guys internally that will battle in camp for that last spot. Not only are these options far cheaper but it makes sense from a developmental standpoint.

Right now, that last spot is open to whoever takes it in camp- Marcinin, Dermott, Borgman, Rosen.

I doubt we have any interest.

Because the second pairing D-man is that good?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given it's Eklund I wouldn't put much credence into this. Markov is 39 as well so if I'm the Leafs I don't sign him and try to stay younger.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Concerning Markov and Eklund rumours:

Is this before or after Leafs on the verge of acquiring a top 5 Western Conference D man who used to be an all-star?
I mean, the league was notified and everything. What happened.
Has the league been notified about this? And the salary Cap?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hope the Leafs sign Markov to a 2 year deal at $12M! Go ahead and do it please! I love Markov but giving guys at their age multi year deals is not smart move as a GM IMO. I hope Markov plays well for 1 year and then retires after year 1 and your stuck with wasted cap space for the 2nd year.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I sure hope not. Markov is an old bum! Useless.

He would still be your team best dman.

Lets not kid ourself that age = bad.

For a lot of stretches last year he was better than Weber or any other dman.. He will ran out of gas toward the end, I agree.

Still a better player than Reily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad