Eklund Rumor: Leafs talking to Markov

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Who did Weber play with this year? Not Suter/Jodi and he still played great and put up #1D numbers while playing about 3 minutes more than any other defender against top competition.

Depends what you consider #1D numbers and where your cut-offs are. Like I said, mediocre-poor suppression numbers for the last few years. A downward trajectory for Rel CF% which suggests he has trouble exiting the zone efficiently (among other items- and the eye test would agree if you watched the playoffs this year).

He's quite effective at preventing high danger chances but doesn't actually generate much on the other end.

Ultimately, he's a top pairing guy, I won't disagree. Is he on a bit of a downward trajectory? Yes, but he's already north of 30 and has a lot of mileage. But an elite #1A D? Not sure about that. You'd have to have a pretty loose definition to argue he still is.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Didn't want to start a thread for this, but this got me thinking. Is Markov HOF material? Certainly at least on that just-below tier. Wondering what thoughts are.

Not even close, never won a norris never was even nominated for one, never made the 1st or even 2nd all star team

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Probably because you don't watch him. Habs don't make the playoffs without Markov.

Leafs definitely don't make the playoffs without Rielly or Gardiner, I don't know if that's a measure of who's better

Markov's age is also approaching a range where his most recent play will become less of an indicator of his future play. He doesn't seem to make sense for the Leafs on the left side, and Hainsey seems to have been acquired to play the right. If Markov could play the right and we could undo the Hainsey deal, I'd be all for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad