Post-Game Talk: Leafs stomp Mcjesus

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Seemed like McDavid was still on suspension. Totally invisible.

Meanwhile our studs with multi-point nights! Go Leafs Go!!

JustinCase

Dec 1, 2018
Ontario
Not worried. This team actually plays better when players are out of the lineup due to injury/holdout.

It's when we have a full roster, that they seem to get a bit complacent.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
That Oilers team is horrifically bad.

As soon as I saw Marleau fly past their defenseman, I knew it was game over. They weren't going to stop much over the course of 60 minutes with such lapses in concentration.

Remember all of those bad Atlanta teams that would play really well and hang around in the first period, and then ultimately fall off a cliff in the second?

Thought Edmonton had control of the game after 1......and then yeah......

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
They have an excellent first line, decent top pair and that’s it.

Garbage team. Everybody in the front office needed to be purged two years ago

So Nylander, Matthews, and (likely) Marner are all overpaid.

When everybody on this board says things like "Who cares. If your skill players are overpaid, it's no big deal"... just remember the Oilers.

They're the CARBON COPY definition of paying top dollar for skill players, and having absolutely no depth.

The Dubas dramatic overpayments will DESTROY our depth.

You should all be FURIOUS at the Dubas overpayments. Not making lame excuses for him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

When everybody on this board says things like "Who cares. If your skill players are overpaid, it's no big deal"... just remember the Oilers.

They're the CARBON COPY definition of paying top dollar for skill players, and having absolutely no depth.

You should all be FURIOUS at the Dubas overpayments. Not making lame excuses for him.
McDavid and Draisaitl are on good deals, and are clearly not the problem with Edmonton. Nylander looks more than worth his contract lately

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
McDavid and Draisaitl are on good deals, and are clearly not the problem with Edmonton. Nylander looks more than worth his contract lately
I've heard leaf fans say time and time again that elite skill is what's hard to get, so who cares if you overpay them.

Well... Edmonton has two of the best players in the entire league and are one of the worst teams. So it's not JUST about skill players. It's about the depth that surrounds them.

Sure, when Matthews and Marner make less than 2 million between them, things seem ok. But when they combined make well over 20 million (due to dramatic overpayments)? Yeah... we may be the Oilers of the future.
McDavid is Matthews. Draisaitl is Tavares. Nylander is Hopkins. And Marner I'm starting to wonder if we can even afford to keep at all...

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

Nylander is a bargain at $6.9m going forward. Matthews is not overpaid at all. The issue with his contract is the term, not the salary number. Like it or not, that only hurts us 5 years from now. Marner is on an ELC, so it makes no sense to say he's overpaid, or will likely be.

The Oilers have no depth because their management sucks. It has nothing to do with what their superstars are making. Russell and Lucic make north of $10m. You could replace them for $2m without downgrading. Those contracts (and others) are the problem for the Oilers.

Oh, and they lack character. Need to bring back Matt Hendricks and stuff. (sarcasm emoji here)

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I can be mad but he wont care. Should I be angrier over that?

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I thought Tavares did great job at forgotten art of personal guard of McDavid. We should put him on Pasternak and be done with it. Lol
No seriously. Do what best do like Belochak. Take their best player away and beat them with your talent.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Nylander is a bargain at $6.9m going forward. Matthews is not overpaid at all. The issue with his contract is the term, not the salary number. Like it or not, that only hurts us 5 years from now. Marner is on an ELC, so it makes no sense to say he's overpaid, or will likely be.

The Oilers have no depth because their management sucks. It has nothing to do with what their superstars are making. Russell and Lucic make north of $10m. You could replace them for $2m without downgrading. Those contracts (and others) are the problem for the Oilers.

Oh, and they lack character. Need to bring back Matt Hendricks and stuff. (sarcasm emoji here)
Saying "Matthews isn't overpaid, it's just the term" is an oxymoron. Term SPECIFICALLY dictates aav for an rfa.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Wasn't there a comment somewhere about who would get more points tonight, McDavid or Matthews?

One assist each, same as Hyman.

Marner with a goal and two assists.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Remember all of those bad Atlanta teams that would play really well and hang around in the first period, and then ultimately fall off a cliff in the second?

Vividly.

And then that one year they made the playoffs they pissed away a good chunk of their future just to be swept in the first round by the Rangers. The whole Atlanta and Toronto sports fan decision was a poor choice by me in retrospect.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I've heard leaf fans say time and time again that elite skill is what's hard to get, so who cares if you overpay them.

Well... Edmonton has two of the best players in the entire league and are one of the worst teams. So it's not JUST about skill players. It's about the depth that surrounds them.

Sure, when Matthews and Marner make less than 2 million between them, things seem ok. But when they combined make well over 20 million (due to dramatic overpayments)? Yeah... we may be the Oilers of the future.
McDavid is Matthews. Draisaitl is Tavares. Nylander is Hopkins. And Marner I'm starting to wonder if we can even afford to keep at all...

Oilers overpaid Lucic not McDavid or Drai. Chia also thought that Lucic can replace Hall thus he went out and traded Hall away for a Dman. They also overpaid a lot of middle 6 players and screwed up development of a lot of young players. Most of all, Talbot somehow forgot how to make a save and thus traded away.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad