Post-Game Talk: Leafs stomp Mcjesus

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You mean Melander?

I love how quickly people forgot how good he really is.

I guess those people watching the games now like:
- Wow! Oh no that was Nylander, i should hate you.
Next shift:
- Wooow! (oh again..)

The "Melander" peeps have completely disappeared. How embarrassing that was.

Also, 8 pages after a win, eh? I'm pretty sure we reach 8 pages after a loss in less than 10 minutes.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its like theres a bandwagon in this fanbase hitched to whomever of Mitch or Willy is playing well at the moment. Its been happening now for three seasons.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So Nylander, Matthews, and (likely) Marner are all overpaid.

When everybody on this board says things like "Who cares. If your skill players are overpaid, it's no big deal"... just remember the Oilers.

They're the CARBON COPY definition of paying top dollar for skill players, and having absolutely no depth.

The Dubas dramatic overpayments will DESTROY our depth.

You should all be FURIOUS at the Dubas overpayments. Not making lame excuses for him.

Can you enjoy this hockey team without being so enthralled and obsessed with the players contracts? Are you capable of talking about this team without this compulsion of bringing up the MASSIVE OVERPAYMENTS to the players? Jesus Christ...

This team just essentially dominated a hockey game and had plenty of great or bad moments to talk about, but of course we have to talk about contracts. With a name like "Throw More Waffles", I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

Also, the reason why the Oilers have no depth and are a terrible hockey team has nothing to do with the contracts to the good players and everything to do with terrible asset management. The contracts to their good players had nothing to do with trading Hall, Eberle and signing Lucic, Russell and a plethora of mickey mouse trades and signings. They could have easily kept every good player, similar to what the Leafs will be able to do.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Whats is sad is that there is little discussion on the bull**** 2nd goal that counted. Its come to a point where we expect this bull****.

Had both the Malone hit, and the edmonton "goal" been in reverse (us doing it on Edmonton), we would have had a 5 minute minor, and the goal would have been called back.

What a joke.

Why don't the Leafs get the respect other teams get?

I've come to the realization that close plays or replays are not going to ever go our way, so I don't even bother stressing about it anymore.

The one angle I saw with the Malone hit didn't seem all that bad really.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’ve actually forgot more about the point totals with Nylander at C.

Most of the people who criticised Nylander's play during his first 20 games did not hate Willie and their criticism has disappeared because it is no longer warranted. I find it interesting that some on the other side find the need to keep saying "I told you so", "eat crow " to the "haters". Nylander is a Leaf and he is playing well, is there still a need to keep the Nylander civil war going ??

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Its like theres a bandwagon in this fanbase hitched to whomever of Mitch or Willy is playing well at the moment. Its been happening now for three seasons.

Matthews as well. "Trade Matthews, Marner is the real captain of this team!!!" I've read this too many times around here.

I face palmed too many times in the past year I'm sure I gave myself multiple concussions.

Some people can't handle having a good Toronto Maple Leafs team. I'm not even joking when I say that I'm pretty sure some enjoyed the Brian Burke/David Nonis era a lot more.

Reactions: Sniper99

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I've come to the realization that close plays or replays are not going to ever go our way, so I don't even bother stressing about it anymore.

The one angle I saw with the Malone hit didn't seem all that bad really.

There was no penalty and probably won't be a suspension. In my mind dirty/suspendable hits from behind are the ones which cause a player to do a face plant into the boards.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

This back and forth between the few Nylander "lovers" and "haters" is childish at this point. Nylander is playing great but if he disappears in the playoffs, you can bet the "haters" are going to dishing it right back to the "lovers".

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Most of the people who criticised Nylander's play during his first 20 games did not hate Willie and their criticism has disappeared because it is no longer warranted. I find it interesting that some on the other side find the need to keep saying "I told you so", "eat crow " to the "haters". Nylander is a Leaf and he is playing well, is there still a need to keep the Nylander civil war going ??
No, now the ones keeping it going can get back to blaming Hyman/Hainsey.

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Or that he isn't on Matthews line until he is and then that he isn't being played at center.
I like Willy at C but use them where we are strongest while they are here. A full time move to C is good with me and something we have to seriously consider next year.

It won’t be the same and a decision between Kadri,Kap,Johnsson then Gardiner will have to be made. 1 of those 3 forwards probably can’t stay.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Can you enjoy this hockey team without being so enthralled and obsessed with the players contracts? Are you capable of talking about this team without this compulsion of bringing up the MASSIVE OVERPAYMENTS to the players? Jesus Christ...

This team just essentially dominated a hockey game and had plenty of great or bad moments to talk about, but of course we have to talk about contracts. With a name like "Throw More Waffles", I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

Also, the reason why the Oilers have no depth and are a terrible hockey team has nothing to do with the contracts to the good players and everything to do with terrible asset management. The contracts to their good players had nothing to do with trading Hall, Eberle and signing Lucic, Russell and a plethora of mickey mouse trades and signings. They could have easily kept every good player, similar to what the Leafs will be able to do.
I'm so glad, no thrilled, and thankful, that the NHL got rid of the salary cap, just so our Leafs could overpay our entire core and still have plenty of money to sign all of our secondary support players! Some of those support players may end up being better than one or two of our core players too.

Good news indeed. Goodbye NHL salary cap. :thumbu:

StannisFollower

Oct 10, 2018
I'm so glad, no thrilled, and thankful, that the NHL got rid of the salary cap, just so our Leafs could overpay our entire core and still have plenty of money to sign all of our secondary support players! Some of those support players may end up being better than one or two of our core players too.

True, whiny bitches will find a reason to be a whiny little bitch, even after a win.

You're right. Must suck to always be angry or disappointed.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

What a great win, though!

Reactions: Blair

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oilers are an ECHL and AHL team with 5-6 NHL players. Even McJesus has lost hope. This is a massive rebuild. I would not be surprised to see McJesus leave in a big trade that nets Oilers 3 young NHLers and 3 1st rounders. This team needs a Scotty Bowmann and get rid of all the old guard. All of them. The old guard is holding them back. But I doubt anyone of substance goes there with the old guard in place including Gretz.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
So Nylander, Matthews, and (likely) Marner are all overpaid.

When everybody on this board says things like "Who cares. If your skill players are overpaid, it's no big deal"... just remember the Oilers.

They're the CARBON COPY definition of paying top dollar for skill players, and having absolutely no depth.

The Dubas dramatic overpayments will DESTROY our depth.

You should all be FURIOUS at the Dubas overpayments. Not making lame excuses for him.
Are you a real human being?

Reactions: Leafidelity

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Overpayments hurt. They hurt A LOT. If McDavid and Drai made 2 million more each, and had 4 million in savings in people like Lucic and other middle 6 players, they still be at the precise same problem.

GROUNDHOG DAY

CONTRACTS, WILLIE NYLANDER, OVERPAYMENTS, YADA, YADA YADA-SAME TIME TOMORROW.
FOUR THOUSAND PAGES AND COUNTING......................................................

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This back and forth between the few Nylander "lovers" and "haters" is childish at this point. Nylander is playing great but if he disappears in the playoffs, you can bet the "haters" are going to dishing it right back to the "lovers".
I have never been a fan but if he continues playing as he has I have no issues at all.
I don't consider myself a 'hater' though. You don't have to love every player.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Nylander has improved. No point in judging his season til the playoffs are over.

but Kappy and Johnsson has been outstanding

AJ - 3 points in first 18 games, 14 in next 17.
WN - 3 points in first 19 games, 13 in next 16.

Eerily similar. And both from Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The "Melander" peeps have completely disappeared. How embarrassing that was.

Also, 8 pages after a win, eh? I'm pretty sure we reach 8 pages after a loss in less than 10 minutes.
That should be embarrassing to Leaf fans. There should be more posts after a win than a loss.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Is Throw More Waffles really a Leafs fan?
A wise person once said to me....

"The dimmest lights always try to shine the brightest"

Tonight is going to be a real test of character. However, there is already the built-in excuse of Garrett Sparks in net, should they lose.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This game should have been easier, but I give the Leafs credit for their ability to regroup and turn it on.

Their first period has been a weakness since Christmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00