Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Pontus Aberg, Tyler Gaudet, Kalle Kossila (Announce Agostino, Shore, Wilson, Gravel)

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Agostino has a good chance. Good two way player which Babcock will like.
I agree, but I think it would be more likely that Agostino clears waivers over Petan.

Most likely scenario seems to be that Petan gets moved in a Leivo-type trade to avoid putting him on waivers. Babs didn't even seem to hide his unwillingness to use Petan, although he could've just been bitter at losing Lindholm.

Reactions: robertmac43

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I find it interesting Agostino has a 2 year deal. While it could be to scare teams off and be a precaution that he makes it to the Marlies if he ends up on the waiver wire with a poor camp... it could also be because Dubas see's value there. As far as our big 4 go, you have Matthewe-Nylander who need someone to grind and go fetch when they are successful. And you have Tavares and Marners who inherited Hyman, who is the guy who goes and fetches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dubas is taking a gamble that Agostino can be another Hyman. Giving Matthews-Nylander either Hyman back or Agostino..or giving Agostino to Tavares-Marner. He is a good forechecker who loves to throw the body and isn't afraid to get in there. He lights it up at the AHL level, and at the NHL level had 24 points in 63 games last year between 2 bad clubs (MTL,NJ). Hyman is a 40 point guy, and he's always played with some great players. Is it unrealistic to think over 82 games if Agostino is the "Hyman" for one of the big duos...that he could get 40 points? I don't think so personally. And maybe that's the plan behind the 2 years. He becomes a 40 point grinder for one of the stud combos, you get another year of him again at league minimum. Just a thought. At the exact same age, if all works out, he could be a Hyman-lite

Id bet part of it to make him qualify for the expansion draft

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Id bet part of it to make him qualify for the expansion draft

That doesn't make much sense. The expansion draft is about protecting players, not qualifying them. Regardless, we'll likely have 7 forwards, 3 defense and 1 goaltender protected. Two year deal on Agostino or not.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
67161103_10162038116545029_2219268082117902336_o.jpg

Reactions: stopclickbait

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I agree, but I think it would be more likely that Agostino clears waivers over Petan.

Most likely scenario seems to be that Petan gets moved in a Leivo-type trade to avoid putting him on waivers. Babs didn't even seem to hide his unwillingness to use Petan, although he could've just been bitter at losing Lindholm.

He was just brought into a tough spot where it was gonna be hard to make the roster and play consistently. Gauthier wasn't amazing but he wasn't god awful and Petan didn't play way better than him in the games he got in to take that spot from him. He was 37% on faceoffs so there's no way Babcock was gonna trust him enough at C and Ennis was one of our better players in the bottom 6 all year. We all knew Brown wouldn't get replaced and he probably shouldn't of over Petan. He's not a bad player so I expect him to come to camp and make it tough to sit him at the start of the season since he'll be fighting for the 1 or 2 open spots on the wing on the 4th line.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That doesn't make much sense. The expansion draft is about protecting players, not qualifying them. Regardless, we'll likely have 7 forwards, 3 defense and 1 goaltender protected. Two year deal on Agostino or not.

No, there is a requirement that you must also have players exposed that meet a certain criteria of contract status and games played

See here

NHL Expansion Draft Rules - A Primer

Reactions: LeafChief

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Not bad. I just don't agree with Speeza being an extra forward. Mikheyev I wanna say too but we don't exactly know what we got yet so I'll reserve judgement on him being an extra forward at this time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not bad. I just don't agree with Speeza being an extra forward. Mikheyev I wanna say too but we don't exactly know what we got yet so I'll reserve judgement on him being an extra forward at this time.

honestly I think spezza is washed. Dubey must be hoping his medical staff can perform a miracle or something because otherwise i think he's just a liability out there aside from maybe on the PP. we'll see.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I think if done properly, it's about insulting the young players and creating a winning environment. Given the Marlies/Growlers success and recent graduates, I'd say they've struck a good balance between development and winning at those levels
I think insulting young players would be the opposite of doing things properly :P

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No, there is a requirement that you must also have players exposed that meet a certain criteria of contract status and games played

See here

NHL Expansion Draft Rules - A Primer

Oh, I must have forgot that! Thanks. Regardless, we should have no issue hitting that requirement.

7 forwards to protect:
Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander

3 of:
Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Hyman, Moore

The other two will be expansion draft eligible.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
honestly I think spezza is washed. Dubey must be hoping his medical staff can perform a miracle or something because otherwise i think he's just a liability out there aside from maybe on the PP. we'll see.

Knowing Babs' he'll likely put Spezza as the #3C until Kerfoot (or even Nylander) can prove otherwise :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Also am I the only one that rather see Moore with Tavares and Marner until hyman gets back?

I think that would be a good fit. Plus we would be able to see a little more of the skill side of Moore, plenty of opportunity would come his way.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I doubt Agostino or Wilson will make the team unless Petan is either moved or Dubas is willing to put him on waivers.

Aberg IMO makes the team for sure on the 4th line or maybe even the 3rd line if Mikheyev or Moore are duds in camp.
I’d probably take agostino over petan tbh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad