Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Michael Bunting to a 2 year contract (950k AAV)

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You're simply be honest, as I can't imagine a lot of Leaf fans have ever seen him play in the NHL, as he only has 26 games and hard to believe many Leaf fans were checking in on the Phoenix Coyotes down the stretch for their last few games of the season in case they cut him loose. :)

I only remember him from his OHL Soo days when finding out more about him during his entry draft year back in 2014. His linemate Jared McCann whom the Leafs had shortly last week was the main attraction in the Soo that people were checking in on however at that time as he was a projected 1st round pick, whereas Bunting was a late 4th rounder.

He played 6 seasons in the AHL so maybe some fans might recall him playing against the Marlies in the past 6 years, but career 10-13 AHL annual goal scores don't draw a lot of attention truth be told.
Yeah, it's very strange this recent obsession with Bunting. Most have him with Matthews and Marner. This guy has a lot of pressure on him.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Yeah, it's very strange this recent obsession with Bunting. Most have him with Matthews and Marner. This guy has a lot of pressure on him.
He broke out last season although it was a short run. I think people assume he can keep it going to a certain extent.

Watching his highlight reel it was bang ins and tips mostly, so he could keep it going.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Bunting should be with Marner and not Matthews. All though Bunting last year had great top 6 underlying numbers I don't think he should be in the top 6 right away. Shelter him lower in the lineup and then move him up as his play dictates.

Blank Matthews Blank
Kerfoot Tavares Nylander
Bunting Spezza Marner
Mikeyev Kampf Simmonds

It would be really helpful if Robertson took the next step and could play LW top 6. that would let us trade Kerfoot for cap space and possibly add a better top 6 LW/RW...

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He broke out last season although it was a short run. I think people assume he can keep it going to a certain extent.

Watching his highlight reel it was bang ins and tips mostly, so he could keep it going.
I hope so. Our LW group is pedestrian, to put it mildly.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Hyman did just that. He worked, improved and was a fit. He was blasted by this board for a long time for being put in that position...myself included.

Bunting might not be as good, maybe he'll be better, but he has a lot of similar aspect to his game that makes him a potential fit to play there. He's a high motor, dirty area scorer and pain the butt to play against. But it's a lot to ask someone to replace what Hyman did, so I think most people expect just a solid mid-line player. He did play with talented players in Arizona like Keller and did pretty well.

There is nothing wrong with that kind of logical thinking and *gasp* positivity.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Biz also said Barrie was gonna be a stud for us. Lol

You know this is a good signing when the thread is only 4 pages long.

Yeah, Barrie wasn't the right fit, but Oilers seemed to have liked his game, probably because they weren't expecting any heavy lifting.

Page 5 now, but I agree, and ROI is a consideration.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hyman did just that. He worked, improved and was a fit. He was blasted by this board for a long for being put in that position...myself included.

Bunting might not be as good, maybe he'll be better, but he has a lot of similar aspect to his game that makes him a potential fit to play there. He's a high motor, dirty area scorer and pain the butt to play against. But it's a lot to ask someone to replace what Hyman did, so I think most people expect just a solid mid-line player. He did play with talented players in Arizona like Keller and did pretty well.

There is nothing wrong with that kind of logical thinking and *gasp* positivity.

When you have two top of the league talents on one line, you don't need to have another skilled guy there. Heck you could have Semenko RIP there!

My only concern would be his skating?

Ramblings: Gusev Leaving Devils, Comparing Pearson to Toffoli, Who Is Michael Bunting? (Apr 10)

Who is Michael Bunting, you ask? With another goal on Friday, Bunting now has five goals in six games this season. That includes a hat trick against the Kings on Monday. Prior to this season, Bunting had played five career NHL games, which were two seasons ago in 2018-19. Yet he's riding shotgun on a scoring line with Conor Garland and Nick Schmaltz, which suggests to me that there might continue to be something there in the short term.
Bunting's Dobber Prospects profile hardly sells me on him as a must-add to your keeper team, but he did finish last season 12th in AHL scoring. The profile does compare him with Brad Marchand, who if I remember correctly didn't arrive in the NHL with a ton of fanfare but built up a reputation as a pest first. So who knows, maybe Bunting "Marchands" his way onto the Coyotes roster for more than a cup of coffee since Marchand is one of those players you hate but would love to have on your team. He also delivered four hits on Friday, so there appears to be a physical component to his game.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Yappy, pesky “worker bee” who finishes his checks. (different cheques from our core)

Love him already. Why not throw him up with Matthews or Tavares you need puck retrieval on those top lines now that Hyman's gone. Kerfoot and Bunting should be the wingers up there.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

That’s why I’m so excited. He crashes the net and that’s exactly what we need from the guy who rides shotgun with those 2

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hyman did just that. He worked, improved and was a fit. He was blasted by this board for a long time for being put in that position...myself included.

Positivity is fine when there's some sign of it coming back. As a fanbase, we have no shortage of positivity. It's why we are (rightfully so in hindsight) ridiculed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Positivity is fine when there's some sign of it coming back. As a fanbase, we have no shortage of positivity. It's why we are (rightfully so in hindsight) ridiculed.

And being the complete opposite isn't something to be proud of either.

Reactions: Tarmore

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
And being the complete opposite isn't something to be proud of either.
I don't think many are proud of the position we find ourselves in. It's divided the fan base in two. After all of the good work initially from Shanahan of bringing everyone together, it's all unraveled.

Reactions: forecheck

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
good quotes. hopefully he is a nice surprise to us all. welcome to leafdom

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like this guy

Love the kids honesty to say that out loud.

After toiling for 6 seasons and 325 AHL games, he leveraged 21 NHL games at the end of the season in a pandemic Div against LA, SJ and Anaheim into a 2 year $1.9 mil guaranteed contract.

10 goals and 13 NHL points earning you nearly $2 million dollars guaranteed is a great 4 weeks stint in the NHL. That is like winning lotto 649 for him as he wasn't an NHLer up until that last 20 games of the 2020-2021 season.

He had a $737,500 2-way contract that paid him $100k in the AHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad