Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Michael Bunting to a 2 year contract (950k AAV)

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Most NHLers that I have had the pleasure of knowing, hanging out with, partying with, fighting off stalkers with.

Would love to have a chat with this guy.

Heck I just worked with Borje Salming on a project.

Besides being Hall of Fame, he is a hall of fame guy, which over time, obviously, is more important.

Dubas is digging himself out of a jam. AND I THINK HE IS DOING A VERY GOOD JOB AT IT.

Two good goalies instead of a guy I never, ever liked.

Me, personally, me excited.

But me, horribly a degenerate fan of the Leafs.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
If he can be a pain in the butt, crash the net and pot even 20 in 82 he would be huge for the team.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

Attachments

• FBB2D7C2-00F7-49C0-8177-A53D90D9D1C9.jpeg
    FBB2D7C2-00F7-49C0-8177-A53D90D9D1C9.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 12

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

"Take less than a million so I know it's real."

Seems like the kind of spark plug you want to have on a line with like minds like a Conor Garland (as was in Arizona) and I could see him buzzing around with Kerfoot being somewhat annoying guys to play against.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I am currently watching every goal Bunting scored.

four of his goals so far were from playing the net front on the powerplay.

Big need for the Leafs.

and another from the front of the net at even strength.

and another driving the net getting a rebound.

Very very intrigued. He’s got a pretty decent shot, but what stood out from his goals was his ability around the net. Both on the powerplay and willingness to go there at even strength.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Big need for the Leafs.

Very very intrigued. He’s got a pretty decent shot, but what stood out from his goals was his ability around the net. Both on the powerplay and willingness to go there at even strength.
It'll go down as one of Dubas' best bang for your buck FA signings during his tenure.

2nd year is huge, and not to get ahead of ourselves, but I honestly think he'll stick around beyond that. I know people close to his family in the GTA and he's a true Toronto kid who loves the area. Believe he even does some off-season training at Gideon Boxing Academy in the east end.

My prediction is he comes out of his shell here and really embraces the role as AM/JT's pest LW'er. He's an unproven commodity so it's easy to bet against him but his competitiveness will make him a fan favourite at the very least.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Love the kids honesty to say that out loud.

After toiling for 6 seasons and 325 AHL games, he leveraged 21 NHL games at the end of the season in a pandemic Div against LA, SJ and Anaheim into a 2 year $1.9 mil guaranteed contract.

10 goals and 13 NHL points earning you nearly $2 million dollars guaranteed is a great 4 weeks stint in the NHL. That is like winning lotto 649 for him as he wasn't an NHLer up until that last 20 games of the 2020-2021 season.

He had a $737,500 2-way contract that paid him $100k in the AHL.
That lottery analogy is really odd given the demand and offers he received. This isn't isn't Jeff Finger situation where our GM/coach mixed up the players

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Big need for the Leafs.

Almost all were infront or driving hard around the D and making a net (rush) play. He won't keep up his pace from last year, but it seems like he'll go to those areas if nothing else.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That lottery analogy is really odd given the demand and offers he received. This isn't isn't Jeff Finger situation where our GM/coach mixed up the players

Do we know he even got an offer from his own team that drafted him in 2014 and developed him for the past 7 years in the organization?

If his 26 NHL games make him this breakout star that so many think he is, then why wouldn't Arizona keep him and give him that contract themselves? Since Arizona only gave his a 2 year & 2 way contract paying him $737K in NHL and $100k in the AHL and because of his age 25 and his limited NHL games 26 be came a group 6 free agent.

What is a Group 6 UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
Bunting is turning 26 in September and has a mere 26 NHL games to his name and since Group 6 Free agents are very rare, to be that old and so little NHL experience that their odds of NHL success is much like a lottery ticket.IMO .. There isn't a long NHL historical track record here of these late bloomers.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Do we know he even got an offer from his own team that drafted him in 2014 and developed him for the past 7 years in the organization?

If his 26 NHL games make him this breakout star that so many think he is, then why wouldn't Arizona keep him and give him that contract themselves? Since Arizona only gave his a 2 year & 2 way contract paying him $737K in NHL and $100k in the AHL and because of his age 25 and his limited NHL games 26 be came a group 6 free agent.

What is a Group 6 UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
Bunting is turning 26 in September and has a mere 26 NHL games to his name and since Group 6 Free agents are very rare, to be that old and so little NHL experience that their odds of NHL success is much like a lottery ticket.IMO .. There isn't a long NHL historical track record here of these late bloomers.

why is every post you make so negative, good lord? Have you thought about the fact that maybe he wanted to explore UFA? He's not an RFA so it's his right to test the UFA market, I'm sure Arizona wanted to keep him but maybe he wanted out of the shit show that is Arizona and the fact that he rejected offers for more money demonstrates that there was a clear market for him as a player.

He reminds me a lot of Connor Brown. Good value signing, my friend group was friends with him in High School. He went to the catholic school, I went to the public one right beside it. Good kid, loves Toronto will give his all for the team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'll be happy if he can be like Johnsson.

Which Johnsson? Johnsson here or in NJ? I think Johnsson was propped up some by our stars.

Bunting seems like he has more of an ability to create on his own, but if he puts up numbers similar to Johnsson here while being more of a pest, I'd be very happy, especially at that cap hit.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
why is every post you make so negative, good lord? Have you thought about the fact that maybe he wanted to explore UFA? He's not an RFA so it's his right to test the UFA market, I'm sure Arizona wanted to keep him but maybe he wanted out of the shit show that is Arizona and the fact that he rejected offers for more money demonstrates that there was a clear market for him as a player.

He reminds me a lot of Connor Brown. Good value signing, my friend group was friends with him in High School. He went to the catholic school, I went to the public one right beside it. Good kid, loves Toronto will give his all for the team.

I agree all the stars have aligned for Micheal Bunting.

He has been a late bloomer all his life... In fact he didn't even make the OHL until he was 18 years old (which is rare), & was his draft year and which OHL team gave him that chance?. That's right Soo Greyhounds and their GM Kyle Dubas and he played under coach Sheldon Keefe.

Since being drafted way back in 2014 (William Nylander's draft class) he has spent 6 seasons and 325 AHL games and hit UFA status now as age 26 which is the CBA threshold .

- He is a Toronto boy born in Scarborough, so Leafs are his hometown team.
- His new NHL GM Dubas and NHL coach Keefe are the same ones that brought him into the OHL 7 years earlier, so they know his character and history.
- Leafs have limited cap space so need players making $1 mil or less to fill out their NHL roster.
- Lost both their 1st line LW Hyman and 2nd line LW Foligno to free agency and have 2 gaping holes in their top 6 now.
- He turned 21 NHL games post trade deadline call-up last year into 13 NHL points which drew NHL interest for himself.
- Leafs could toss him on a line with either Matthews/Marner or Tavares/Nylander and hope his star linemates allow him the opportunity to be successful.
- Leafs don't have a lot of other options despite Cup aspiration because of their shallow forward group and he might only be competing with 19 year old Nic Robertson.
- No NHL team is going to give more opportunity and a longer rope to succeed than Toronto to make the NHL this year as a 26 year old all things considered.
- He plays a style of game not unlike Hyman, where he is tenacious on the puck, willing to play in traffic and crash the net and give an honest effort and compete hard.

So Leaf fans have their fingers crossed :crossfing that Bunting can make an impact and contribute next year to the Leafs as there are roster holes to fill and big name bigger shoes to replace & he plays a style of game that Leafs could use more of. The one thing we do know it won't be from a lack of effort as he gives an honest blue collar workman like one on the ice and fans appreciate players like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: francis246

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

What is a Group 6 UFA?

Thats why we won't be planning the parade around him:) Buryable contract with no implied obligation for ice time unlike the vets of last season. With the lack of sand in this lineup he should get regular minutes whether he scores or not like Trevor Moore. A nice add IMO. Lack of NHL experience also means he has no history of squandered chances at a big league role. A lottery ticket to be an NHL producer but probably not one to get some regular minutes. I don't think they will fail to add a top 6 winger because Bunting scored 10g in 21 games but at least it will get him some looks.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Most NHLers that I have had the pleasure of knowing, hanging out with, partying with, fighting off stalkers with.

Would love to have a chat with this guy.

Heck I just worked with Borje Salming on a project.

Besides being Hall of Fame, he is a hall of fame guy, which over time, obviously, is more important.

Dubas is digging himself out of a jam. AND I THINK HE IS DOING A VERY GOOD JOB AT IT.

Two good goalies instead of a guy I never, ever liked.

Me, personally, me excited.

But me, horribly a degenerate fan of the Leafs.

Two good goalies that are injury prone.. this could turn out very good or turn very bad.. Dubie Dubie Doo needs a 3rd guy waiting in the wings that can pass through waivers but still play at a respectable level.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree all the stars have aligned for Micheal Bunting.

He has been a late bloomer all his life... In fact he didn't even make the OHL until he was 18 years old (which is rare), & was his draft year and which OHL team gave him that chance?. That's right Soo Greyhounds and their GM Kyle Dubas and he played under coach Sheldon Keefe.

Since being drafted way back in 2014 (William Nylander's draft class) he has spent 6 seasons and 325 AHL games and hit UFA status now as age 26 which is the CBA threshold .

- He is a Toronto boy born in Scarborough, so Leafs are his hometown team.
- His new NHL GM Dubas and NHL coach Keefe are the same ones that brought him into the OHL 7 years earlier, so they know his character and history.
- Leafs have limited cap space so need players making $1 mil or less to fill out their NHL roster.
- Lost both their 1st line LW Hyman and 2nd line LW Foligno to free agency and have 2 gaping holes in their top 6 now.
- He turned 21 NHL games post trade deadline call-up last year into 13 NHL points which drew NHL interest for himself.
- Leafs could toss him on a line with either Matthews/Marner or Tavares/Nylander and hope his star linemates allow him the opportunity to be successful.
- Leafs don't have a lot of other options despite Cup aspiration because of their shallow forward group and he might only be competing with 19 year old Nic Robertson.
- No NHL team is going to give more opportunity and a longer rope to succeed than Toronto to make the NHL this year as a 26 year old all things considered.
- He plays a style of game not unlike Hyman, where he is tenacious on the puck, willing to play in traffic and crash the net and give an honest effort and compete hard.

So Leaf fans have their fingers crossed :crossfing that Bunting can make an impact and contribute next year to the Leafs as there are roster holes to fill and big name bigger shoes to replace & he plays a style of game that Leafs could use more of. The one thing we do know it won't be from a lack of effort as he gives an honest blue collar workman like one on the ice and fans appreciate players like that.

All very good points, things have really worked out in his favour. I think he probably left Arizona knowing that this opportunity would be available for him and good on him for taking it. I do think it’ll work out because he’s motivated and brings that type of work ethic that the leafs are losing in Hyman. I’m hoping that he and Josh Ho-Sang can find a way to make this team because I think those two can be X factors. Ho-Sang at one point was thought to be better than McDavid and a faster skater, so hopefully they can help him regain that form here in Toronro

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Thats why we won't be planning the parade around him:) Buryable contract with no implied obligation for ice time unlike the vets of last season. With the lack of sand in this lineup he should get regular minutes whether he scores or not like Trevor Moore. A nice add IMO. Lack of NHL experience also means he has no history of squandered chances at a big league role. A lottery ticket to be an NHL producer but probably not one to get some regular minutes. I don't think they will fail to add a top 6 winger because Bunting scored 10g in 21 games but at least it will get him some looks.

Group 6 UFAs are quite rare (only a few dozen or so players a year) for players to reach age 25/26 and not yet made the NHL but qualify for free agency base on age and not years of NHL service. There isn't a long NHL historical track record of NHL success if you haven't made it by this time, to suddenly become an NHL impact player.

However Bunting isn't the only group 6 UFA that Dubas is taking a flyer on of the 30 players that qualified this year, but certainly the one he is counting on most.

Group 6 UFAs:
===================================
Arizona - Michael Bunting LW/RW (signed: TOR)
Vegas - Carl Dahlstrom D (signed: TOR)
New Jersey: Brett Seney LW/RW- (signed: TOR)
Islanders - Joshua Ho-Sang LW (PTO: by TOR)

Here is a list of the remaining 2020-21 Group VI
==========================================================
Arizona Coyotes : Jordan Gross
Buffalo Sabres: C.J. Smith
Carolina Hurricanes: Roland McKeown (signed: COL), Sheldon Rempal (signed: VAN)
Chicago Blackhawks: Anton Lindholm
Colorado Avalanche: Kyle Burroughs (signed: VAN), Liam O'Brien.
Columbus Blue Jackets: Ryan MacInnis
Dallas Stars: Landon Bow
Detroit Red Wings: Joe Hicketts
Florida Panthers: Philippe Desrosiers, Brady Keeper
Los Angeles Kings: Daniel Brickley
Minnesota Wild: Louie Belpedio, Luke Johnson
Montreal Canadiens: Gustav Olofsson
Nashville Predators: Michael Carcone, Josh Healey, Tyler Lewington (signed: BOS)
New York Rangers: Nick DeSimone, Darren Raddysh (signed: TBL)
Philadelphia Flyers: Chris Bigras
San Jose Sharks: Maxim Letunov
St. Louis Blues: Austin Poganski, Mitch Reinke
Tampa Bay Lightning: Ben Thomas
Vancouver Canucks: Justin Bailey, Jalen Chatfield, Brogan Rafferty (signed: ANA)
Vegas Golden Knights: Reid Duke, Gage Quinney (re-signed)
Winnipeg Jets: Eric Comrie

Quite a shopping list there of budding NHL stars in making. :wg:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad