Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Michael Bunting to a 2 year contract (950k AAV)

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Good value here for sure. More of these types are needed. It's clear that Dubas is committed to his forwards.

All I know is the game is not changing come playoffs. So the Hyman types are required.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Solid third liner, he's not going to replicate that scoring pace obviously but seems to have a good shot and seems solid defensively.

A little under 5 mil now to add a top six forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bunting is about to turn 26 and has 26 career NHL games to his name.

He has been a career minor leaguer with 6 seasons and 323 AHL games under his belt where he crack 20 goals only 1 times in those 6 years.

He flashed at the end of last season in a very small sample size with Phoenix a non playoff team, including a hattrick.

Leafs seem to be betting he is a late bloomer and can stick with the NHL team, otherwise he might just be a warm body for the pressbox or even a Marlie at worst.

This is a bit like the Travis Boyd last year low risk type move.

PS. If anything Leafs management know him and his character well as he played in he Soo.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We need to put him with Tavares. I feel like we haven't used Tavares' strength as well as we should. He's made so many players good. PA Parenteau, Matt Moulson, Bailey, Grabner, Okposo etc. He does well with lesser talent we should really go with 2 decent players with Tavares and allow Nylander and Kerfoot to play on the same line like they did in the playoffs to give us three dangerous lines.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Who knows he might be a complete fluke, but he popped bigtime last year in both teh AHL and the NHL, and looked good in all areas - skating, finish, grit, defense - by all of scouting eyes, regular stats, and nerd stats.

A nice gamble and he could thrive if we give him a cushy spot with two of our stars.
Fully (or close to) "buryable" cap hit, good term as a show-me to see if it's a fluke. This is one of my favorite Dubas moves. Really great signing all around.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
My order of operations prediction from yesterday:
Goalie. ✔️
Bunting ✔️
More W’s - pending - ideally c/w types
D
Smart low risk gamble. Good competition coming up on the wings. Good AAV and term.

Hope this works out well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Huge steal. He should be given a serious chance in our top 6 next year, and is easily the top candidate to be this year's Verhaeghe.

If he doesn't work out, there is no risk. He is high end depth at the very worst.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
We need to put him with Tavares. I feel like we haven't used Tavares' strength as well as we should. He's made so many players good. PA Parenteau, Matt Moulson, Bailey, Grabner, Okposo etc. He does well with lesser talent we should really go with 2 decent players with Tavares and allow Nylander and Kerfoot to play on the same line like they did in the playoffs to give us three dangerous lines.

Agree. Rolling 3 lines like that is how you expose matchups. Nylander can carry his own line as he has shown in the past

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
A good, value signing.

The problem as I see it, is that Leafs will almost certainly regress from last years squad. They need more players like a Hyman, but, they need them on a discount. This isn't going to be easy. I'd say even more difficult as I think such players need to be more physical, more demanding of others.

Toronto isn't Florida with sun, fun, low taxes and back to back Cups. What Toronto sells is the aura of a franchise that is ingrained long in the past.

Dubas is going to have to probably wait it out and hope for the best after other teams overpay. I hope he is willing to at least consider parting with key pieces outside the core to bring in a different look, attitude and fresh face(s).

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Never heard of him so I will have to see him in the playoffs if we make it next year before I comment other then at least he’s cheap

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad