Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Michael Bunting to a 2 year contract (950k AAV)

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We need to put him with Tavares. I feel like we haven't used Tavares' strength as well as we should. He's made so many players good. PA Parenteau, Matt Moulson, Bailey, Grabner, Okposo etc. He does well with lesser talent we should really go with 2 decent players with Tavares and allow Nylander and Kerfoot to play on the same line like they did in the playoffs to give us three dangerous lines.

In theory, he is a depth player. However, when you have finishers on a line, you just need forecheck/net presence etc. Balance on a line, if you will. If they function well as a line together that's all that matters.

It's what I thought Galchenyuk brought, and it worked. Gally would be a reasonable resigning for the Leafs if they can pull it off. How can they replace Hyman though?

I also worry about the loss of Bogosian. Big, physical D Men are what we need come playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know alot of you guys have been salivating over this guy for the past few days. But I gotta be honest. I have no idea who the f*** he is!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

What kind of a player is he? And what does he bring to the table.

You're simply be honest, as I can't imagine a lot of Leaf fans have ever seen him play in the NHL, as he only has 26 games and hard to believe many Leaf fans were checking in on the Phoenix Coyotes down the stretch for their last few games of the season in case they cut him loose. :)

I only remember him from his OHL Soo days when finding out more about him during his entry draft year back in 2014. His linemate Jared McCann whom the Leafs had shortly last week was the main attraction in the Soo that people were checking in on however at that time as he was a projected 1st round pick, whereas Bunting was a late 4th rounder.

He played 6 seasons in the AHL so maybe some fans might recall him playing against the Marlies in the past 6 years, but career 10-13 AHL annual goal scores don't draw a lot of attention truth be told.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyz

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Can't complain at that price point. Great deal, seems like he's a solid player with plenty of upside. He's not going to shoot 26%, but if he can be an NHL player for two years at 950k, this is a good deal.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The underrated part of this contract is that second year. If he doesn't work out, fine/whatever, but if he breaks out? That gives us badly needed cost certainty next year.

Reactions: Mugzy97 and Havoc

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Fully (or close to) "buryable" cap hit, good term as a show-me to see if it's a fluke. This is one of my favorite Dubas moves. Really great signing all around.
FYI
Cap ceiling to bury went up to just over 1m a couple of years ago so no worries on anything under that any more. This one is fully sinkable if it doesn't work out.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
$7.35 too high on the AAV.

Isn't that how it works around here? :sarcasm:

Joking aside I was thinking it would cost Engvall money. Very pleased.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

I won't pretend to know anything about this kid other than what I've read on him. But his highlight pack from last year and the goals he scored kind of remind me of Hyman. Even the celebrations are eerily similar lol.

Really love the 2nd year too. A really good deal for him as well, he should get a lot of opportunity to get paid big in 2 years if he can play up the lineup, which I suspect he will. Seemed to play alot with AZ's top guys last year from the highlight pack at least

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

I won't pretend to know anything about this kid other than what I've read on him. But his highlight pack from last year and the goals he scored kind of remind me of Hyman. Even the celebrations are eerily similar lol.

Really love the 2nd year too. A really good deal for him as well, he should get a lot of opportunity to get paid big in 2 years if he can play up the lineup, which I suspect he will. Seemed to play alot with AZ's top guys last year from the highlight pack at least

Snuck behind Makar on first goal.

Made Theodore look silly on the 5th.

Not easy tasks. Welcome aboard.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
FYI
Cap ceiling to bury went up to just over 1m a couple of years ago so no worries on anything under that any more. This one is fully sinkable if it doesn't work out.
Thanks, awesome, I thought so but wasn't entirely sure.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I feel like our board deserves some credit for this signing. Some of our posters were talking about Bunting over a month ago and Dubas was probably lurking :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, really solid deal.
I've never seen him play and only know of his existence due to this board. If he soils the bed I am blaming those guys. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Safe to say that this guy can play anywhere in the lineup?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know alot of you guys have been salivating over this guy for the past few days. But I gotta be honest. I have no idea who the f*** he is!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

What kind of a player is he? And what does he bring to the table.

Thinking all that salivating got Bunting a couple more Dubie dollars. He owes hfboards big.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Thinking all that salivating got Bunting a couple more Dubie dollars. He owes hfboards big.
Not even close.

He was looking at Engvall+ money on a 1 year deal, let alone 2 years under a million.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
It’s not league minimum for 7 years on a two way deal? Roflmao Dubas the clowwwwnnnnnnnn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad