Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Michael Bunting to a 2 year contract (950k AAV)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Michael Bunting's professional resume.

SeasonTeamLeagueGPGATPPIM+/-
2015-16 Springfield Falcons AHL 6311142541-7
2015-16 Rapid City Rush ECHL 72024-5
2016-17 Tucson Roadrunners AHL 6713152852-1
2017-18 Tucson Roadrunners AHL 672320434521
2018-19 Arizona Coyotes NHL 510120
2018-19 Tucson Roadrunners AHL 521922418415
2019-20 Tucson Roadrunners AHL 5812374949-12
2020-21 Arizona Coyotes NHL 211031312-1
2020-21 Tucson Roadrunners “A”AHL 167121914-2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: banks

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Hoping for something similar to Andreas Johnsson pre-injury. A forward you can place 5 through 9. A 2nd liner sometimes, but you want him on the 3rd line. Please be better than Jimmy Vesey

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hoping for something similar to Andreas Johnsson pre-injury. A forward you can place 5 through 9. A 2nd liner sometimes, but you want him on the 3rd line. Please be better than Jimmy Vesey

Jimmy Vesey is a couple of years older.

NHL experience
==================================
Jimmy Vesey (28)
5 years 354 games 64 goals 56 assists 120 points
vs
Michael Bunting (26)
2 years 26 games 11 goals 3 assists 14 points

When the Leafs signed Jimmy Vesey last year to play alongside Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd line he came with a lot more experience and certainty.

Vesey didn't do much with that opportunity however .. 30 games 5 goals 2 assists 7 points & -4 +/- before getting shipped off to Vancouver.

Lets hope if the plan is to play Bunting on the 2nd line the outcome is better, but you simply can't toss any player on a line with skilled players and expect positive results.. :crossfing

On paper anyway this gamble here seems greater than last year based on NHL experience coming in as Vesey had goals seasons of 16, 17 & 17 with NYR prior to joining Toronto, where exceptions might have been 20+ goals in that situation.

I think its safe to say that Bunting is the player (not counting goaltending) that comes in with the highest expectation of all the new additions so far this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapspaceKiller

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I feel like Bunting has maybe played only a few games in the NHL. Has anybody mentioned this (ad nauseum) yet?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep. Media spotlight and an opportunity to potentially play alongside some seriously skilled linemates.

Leafs in turn were smart to get that 2nd year if he does indeed click with the guys

This is a big market team flexing its financial muscle here and $$ gambles are permitted for teams that can afford the losses, with nothing to lose.

Arizona was paying Bunting $100k on a 2-way contract to play in the AHL for most of his professional career. He hasn't proven to be an NHLer yet and he hasn't even be able to make the Coyotes team on his own merits all these past 6 years, appearing in only 5 games over 6 seasons prior to a post trade deadline call-up to fill some roster holes down the stretch.

Budget teams like Carolina for example and other small market teams can't spend money on 1-way guaranteed contracts as they can't even bring their own players back as in letting Dougie Hamilton walk away despite having $14 mil in free cap space sitting there unused.

If the Leafs gamble even if they lose, they simply waive Bunting to the AHL and pay him his near $1 mil salary in the minors or nearly $2 mil for 2 years, and nobody at MLSE cares that you took that shot and missed as you can eat those financial losses even in a flat cap pandemic world where profits are low. Go out and give another player the $1 mil and try again. Small market and budget teams GMs would face steep consequences for spending the owners money on high risks like this if they didn't pay off in NHL success.

In Toronto and other big markets as long as the signing doesn't impact the NHL team's salary cap, these kind of signings are inconsequential really with no repercussions, and so they're low risk high reward from that standpoint. Why not take the shot?

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Out of the 24 players with 100+ minutes on the yotes last year:

Goals/60: 1.71 (1st out of 24(by far))
Points/60: 2.23 (4th out of 24)

5v5 REL numbers:

CF%: +6.90 (2nd out of 24)
SF%: +5.57 (6th out of 24)
xGF%: +1.01 (10th out of 24)
GF%: +12.26 (2nd out of 24)

Sure, he was used primarily in offensive situations but he often delivered which is probably what caught Dubas eye.

Its a gamble but I hope he tears it up with us.

Reactions: banks and Gallagbi

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Michael Bunting – 2021 Free Agency

July 29, 2021 • 07:31

Michael Bunting speaks with the media following his signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Cobra777

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

NHL experience
Jimmy Vesey (28)
vs
Michael Bunting (26)

When the Leafs signed Jimmy Vesey last year to play alongside Tavares and Nylander on the 2nd line he came with a lot more experience and certainty.

Vesey didn't do much with that opportunity however .. 30 games 5 goals 2 assists 7 points & -4 +/- before getting shipped off to Vancouver.

Lets hope if the plan is to play Bunting on the 2nd line the outcome is better, but you simply can't toss any player on a line with skilled players and expect positive results.. :crossfing

On paper anyway this gamble here seems greater than last year based on NHL experience coming in as Vesey had goals seasons of 16, 17 & 17 with NYR prior to joining Toronto, where exceptions might have been 20+ goals in that situation.

I think its safe to say that Bunting is the player (not counting goaltending) that comes in with the highest expectation of all the new additions so far this year.
Also Bunting's game is so much more than him bringing in goals, points and results that way sire. Many human beings who have followed his game, call him a "pest." Just like Claude lemieux back in his prime was. Bunting will bring that talk, also more hitting game than vesey etc. Bunting might be a real fan favourite from the start, unlike our old veseys etc who didn't bring anything "special element" into the games. That's what the tucker domi factor was in toronto and it worked out. Even when a team lost then, they always gave their best and returned memories for a lifetime. This is what Bunting will bring to our game, unlike vesey or some other losing player we had in the past.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So close and yet so far. For a short period of time the Leafs had the right Soo Greyhound player that could have made the bigger difference.

Jared McCann was Michael Buntings center in the Soo 7 years ago and both entered the 2014 entry draft at the same time.

Jared McCann - Drafted by Vancouver Canucks - round 1 #24 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft
Michael Bunting - Drafted by Arizona Coyotes - round 4 #117 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Stats:

Jared McCann
SeasonTeamLeagueGPGoalsAssistsPointsPIM+/-
2012-13Soo GreyhoundsOHL6421234435-6
2013-14Soo GreyhoundsOHL64273562519
2014-15Soo GreyhoundsOHL563447812730
2015-16Vancouver CanucksNHL69991832-6
2016-17Florida PanthersNHL291674-1
2016-17Springfield ThunderbirdsAHL42111425555
2017-18Florida PanthersNHL68919283011
2018-19Florida PanthersNHL468101818-9
2018-19Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL3211617138
2019-20Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL66142135176
2020-21Pittsburgh PenguinsNHL43141832817
NHL Totals 3536689155122
AHL Totals 4211142555
Michael Bunting
SeasonTeamLeagueGPGoalsAssistsPointsPIM+/-
2013-14Soo GreyhoundsOHL481527423410
2014-15Soo GreyhoundsOHL573737743944
2015-16Springfield FalconsAHL6311142541-7
2015-16Rapid City RushECHL72024-5
2016-17Tucson RoadrunnersAHL6713152852-1
2017-18Tucson RoadrunnersAHL672320434521
2018-19Tucson RoadrunnersAHL521922418415
2018-19Arizona CoyotesNHL510120
2019-20Tucson RoadrunnersAHL5812374949-12
2020-21Arizona CoyotesNHL211031312-1
2020-21Tucson RoadrunnersAHL167121914-2
NHL Totals 261131414
AHL Totals 32385120205285
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

These are very different level NHL players and just picture tossing McCann on a line in the top 6 instead of Bunting. Its too bad because the Leafs best off-season acquisition is the player they lost to Seattle in expansion and didn't protect.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This is a big market team flexing its financial muscle here and $$ gambles are permitted for teams that can afford the losses, with nothing to lose.

Arizona was paying Bunting $100k on a 2-way contract to play in the AHL for most of his professional career. He hasn't proven to be an NHLer yet and he hasn't even be able to make the Coyotes team on his own merits all these past 6 years, appearing in only 5 games over 6 seasons prior to a post trade deadline call-up to fill some roster holes down the stretch.

Budget teams like Carolina for example and other small market teams can't spend money on 1-way guaranteed contracts as they can't even bring their own players back as in letting Dougie Hamilton walk away despite having $14 mil in free cap space sitting there unused.

If the Leafs gamble even if they lose, they simply waive Bunting to the AHL and pay him his near $1 mil salary in the minors or nearly $2 mil for 2 years, and nobody at MLSE cares that you took that shot and missed as you can eat those financial losses even in a flat cap pandemic world where profits are low. Go out and give another player the $1 mil and try again. Small market and budget teams GMs would face steep consequences for spending the owners money on high risks like this if they didn't pay off in NHL success.

In Toronto and other big markets as long as the signing doesn't impact the NHL team's salary cap, these kind of signings are inconsequential really with no repercussions, and so they're low risk high reward from that standpoint. Why not take the shot?

Arizona didn’t walk away from Bunting, he was a rare group 6 UFA

The amount of money they have been throwing around in dead space contracts you think a league minimum 2 year deal would’ve broke them?

Come on Mess

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

NHL experience
Jimmy Vesey (28)
vs
Michael Bunting (26)

Counterpoint: Vesey's more experience made him come and play his way whereas bunting might fit into the role we need more easily.
Only time will tell and personally if it goes as planned bunting will be on the 3rd line

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Which Johnsson? Johnsson here or in NJ? I think Johnsson was propped up some by our stars.

Bunting seems like he has more of an ability to create on his own, but if he puts up numbers similar to Johnsson here while being more of a pest, I'd be very happy, especially at that cap hit.

Nothing is a sure bet, but I really think he will be a 20-20 guy if he plays on the top 2 lines. Johnsson was pretty much useless and he still scored 20 playing with AM. You could see how badly Johnsson did when he went to the Devils and played with non-superstar players. If this kid Bunting has the ability to be half decent (Which I believe to be the case) he is going to be a 20-20 minimum guy for less than a million. Great move by Dubas...he is like a poor mans Gallagher.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yep. Media spotlight and an opportunity to potentially play alongside some seriously skilled linemates.

Leafs in turn were smart to get that 2nd year if he does indeed click with the guys

That is a theme that most people are not really picking up on. The 2nd year of the deal. Basically, Dubas is telling these guys they will end up with a potentially large pay-day if they play with our big 4 and rack up some serious stats. The cost of that is going to be an extra year for us at a low price. Works for both the player and the team and it gives us some continuity going into next year. You don't want to be rolling 8 players every year...its not good for the team.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That is a theme that most people are not really picking up on. The 2nd year of the deal. Basically, Dubas is telling these guys they will end up with a potentially large pay-day if they play with our big 4 and rack up some serious stats. The cost of that is going to be an extra year for us at a low price. Works for both the player and the team and it gives us some continuity going into next year. You don't want to be rolling 8 players every year...its not good for the team.

Also gives the players a production history and not doubt that it was an outlier season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Counterpoint: Vesey's more experience made him come and play his way whereas bunting might fit into the role we need more easily.
Only time will tell and personally if it goes as planned bunting will be on the 3rd line

I like your assessment in that Bunting is a good dart throw gamble for the Leafs 3rd line .. Maybe play alongside Kerfoot and Mikheyev and form a good energy line, and while I wouldn't expect a lot of offense from the trio I would expect a lot of compete and effort.

Hyman was my favourite Leaf as I admired his effort and compete level and Bunting is a similar style player in that regard that is going to get noticed for his hustle and willingness to play in traffic and crash at net. Bunting isn't a high end skill player but his blue collar style works for him to allow him to contribute.

Lets hope this works out for him as its a low risk but potential reward here for the Leafs if it does.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I like your assessment in that Bunting is a good dart throw gamble for the Leafs 3rd line .. Maybe play alongside Kerfoot and Mikheyev and form a good energy line, and while I wouldn't expect a lot of offense from the trio I would expect a lot of compete and effort.

Hyman was my favourite Leaf as I admired his effort and compete level and Bunting is a similar style player in that regard that is going to get noticed for his hustle and willingness to play in traffic and crash at net. Bunting isn't a high end skill player but his blue collar style works for him to allow him to contribute.

Lets hope this works out for him as its a low risk but potential reward here for the Leafs if it does.
Just looking forward to those dirty goals

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just looking forward to those dirty goals

From a recent Q and A

What is the key for you to build on your 10 goals in 21 games with Arizona last season and demonstrate in camp that you are worthy of that spot in the lineup?

Bunting
: I just have to stick to my game. I kind of went into Arizona with a nothing-to-lose mentality this year when I got called up. I took every opportunity and grabbed it. That is exactly what I plan on doing here. I am the type of guy that goes to the net hard and goes to those dirty areas. I am not going to back down from other players on other teams. That is what I am going to bring to the table every night.

Michael Bunting on his style of play:

When I am playing my best, I am under the other team’s skin and getting in their faces, that just makes me be in the game even more. That is how I get involved. I really enjoy that role".

From Scouts notebook:

He’s molded himself into a fantastic all-around winger. He didn’t pick up a gene for height, however he uses his body well against defenders and has great puck possession. Bunting doesn’t have the most impressive puck skills either. His game is very straightforward and safe, which is why he was a consistent point scorer. He also doesn’t have swift feet, but manages to have solid balance.

What impressed me most from Bunting is his work ethic and will to play the defensive part of the game. He’s a workhorse of a forecheck and backchecker. He lays his body on the line to make a play and has adept defensive instincts. Overall, he’s a player that doesn’t get enough credit for the job he does.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
From a recent Q and A

What is the key for you to build on your 10 goals in 21 games with Arizona last season and demonstrate in camp that you are worthy of that spot in the lineup?

Bunting
: I just have to stick to my game. I kind of went into Arizona with a nothing-to-lose mentality this year when I got called up. I took every opportunity and grabbed it. That is exactly what I plan on doing here. I am the type of guy that goes to the net hard and goes to those dirty areas. I am not going to back down from other players on other teams. That is what I am going to bring to the table every night.

Michael Bunting on his style of play:

When I am playing my best, I am under the other team’s skin and getting in their faces, that just makes me be in the game even more. That is how I get involved. I really enjoy that role".

From Scouts notebook:

He’s molded himself into a fantastic all-around winger. He didn’t pick up a gene for height, however he uses his body well against defenders and has great puck possession. Bunting doesn’t have the most impressive puck skills either. His game is very straightforward and safe, which is why he was a consistent point scorer. He also doesn’t have swift feet, but manages to have solid balance.

What impressed me most from Bunting is his work ethic and will to play the defensive part of the game. He’s a workhorse of a forecheck and backchecker. He lays his body on the line to make a play and has adept defensive instincts. Overall, he’s a player that doesn’t get enough credit for the job he does.
This is why I'm excited about this guy. I think he will bring it and we will love the work he's going to put in

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What is more impressive? 39 points in 28 games, 27 goals in u18 AAA, or 32 points in 31 games, 13 goals in u16 AAA? I'm just curious and I know these numbers mean jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad