Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Tyler Bertuzzi (1 year, $5.5M)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Jarnrok got most playing with the big guys. Robertson with 15 or 16 would be great.
Benoit is a find for sure and he is one òf only a few to step up, Gio has, McCabe has but Reaves should never let the other team feel they can do that.

Reaves shouldn’t be on the ice. He’s a net negative. We need toughness that can play the game and contribute playing hockey.

Reaves hasn’t done squat to be a deterrent anyway.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Nylander sits out for 2 months until Dubas gives him $45m for 6 years.
Matty takes Dubas to the woodshed for $11.634 x 6.
Marner only accepts $10.893x6 after what he was turning down was leaked
Matty takes 13.25m for 4 years after MacKinnon signs for $100K more than McDavid and for 8 years
Nylander demands and gets $11.25m because Matty would not take a discount
Tavares fighting not to pay $8m in taxes

Bertuzzi fits right in
That’s what I was kinda thinking. Lol

Reactions: Niagara Bill

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So he’s played his entire career doing just enough to get by (he isn’t getting by though) and we’ve only seen his full effort for a grand total of 7 games in his entire career? Damn what a lazy SOB, doesn’t sound like the kind of character you want in the room.
Absolutely correct .. Tre signed him .. hopefully he starts to put out more as we get closer to playoffs .. never forget he wants to up a great show in playoffs for his next contract .. and someone else will say d*mn that guy has da ability .. it is da way he rolls

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The core 4 seem to as well. No comment about playoff hockey.

I suppose if you're 7th. in P/PG or 1st. in goals or Top 10 in P/PG over the past 4 season then you're probably putting in some effort.

Bertuzzi just doesn't seem to have any finish, so you wonder how in the world did he ever score 30 and then you remember Clarkson.

It must have just been one of the fluke seasons some players have.

To misparaphrase Green, "Betuzzi isn't who we thought he was."

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This was the Tyler Bertuzzi the Leafs hoped they were getting .. 5 goals 5 assists 10 points in 7 games in a physical 1st round series via Florida.

1707578054023.png

Perhaps Bertuzzi best time to shine is still ahead of him? :crossfing

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's getting big bucks for the regular season. If all Leafs did next to nothing in the regular season there would be no playoffs. Also think of the fans paying big bucks for their seats and seeing a player not doing much.

I agree. This is why I said complete judgement. I am not in any way absolving him or saying his regular season has been good enough. I think it’s fair to say though if he comes out in the playoffs and gives us something akin to 10 points in 7 games people will be happy he was there.

There is solid potential of Domi and Bertuzzi raising their level of play in the post season and we need more of that. The coaching staff in the meantime has about 30 games to figure out how to get more out of them in this lineup.

One noteworthy difference is that he got double the PP time in Boston that we are giving him. 1:14 per game is really even less quality of time than it seems like when you consider it’s often no more than like 15-20 second at the end of multiple PPs

I still maintain from the summer we should be running two units more evenly. we have more than 4 forwards on this team who need PP time to produce and feel good about their game.

Each unit gets:
Two of the core 4.
One of the rookies in Knies/Robertson
One of Bertuzzi/Domi
One of Rielly/Klingberg
* balance out your shooters, playmakers, and grit between the two.

Obviously Klingberg didn’t last, so this goes to Liljegren.

I forgot Jarnkrok. The point is there are options.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildWolfdog

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This was the Tyler Bertuzzi the Leafs hoped they were getting .. 5 goals 5 assists 10 points in 7 games in a physical 1st round series via Florida.
I certainly hope Treliving wasn't relying on his unsustainably inflated 7-game production to continue, or thinking that his actual performance was something to be praised in that series, or we have much bigger problems.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I like Bertuzzi’s hustle and effort. He’s definitely been snake bitten offensively but someone I still wouldn’t mind re-signing for the right price. Maybe a long term deal at 3.5 million is something he wouldn’t be against.

• Haha
Reactions: saffronleaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

View attachment 817318

-5 in game 5, 6, and 7 as his team had a total collapse to an underdog? It’s crazy that it took him this long to become a Leaf, he was born for this.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

View attachment 817318

How do get points in 6 of 7 playoff games for the Bruins and suck so bad in Blue and White for the majority of 49 games when you are playing for your next contract and just added another mouth to feed to your family?

horner

May 22, 2007
I suppose if you're 7th. in P/PG or 1st. in goals or Top 10 in P/PG over the past 4 season then you're probably putting in some effort.

Bertuzzi just doesn't seem to have any finish, so you wonder how in the world did he ever score 30 and then you remember Clarkson.

It must have just been one of the fluke seasons some players have.

To misparaphrase Green, "Betuzzi isn't who we thought he was."

How do get points in 6 of 7 playoff games for the Bruins and suck so bad in Blue and White for the majority of 49 games when you are playing for your next contract and just added another mouth to feed to your family?
Take a look on YouTube highlites of Boston goals vs florida in the playoffs last yr.
He was on the top PP unit
Tip tip tip in front of the net on clear shot
Bostons defenseman fuelled everything to the net we don't play that way .
They had 2 players at the net every time.

Our d can't even get the puck through.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He was a gamble. It didn’t pay off. Can’t skate, can’t stay on his feet, can’t handle the puck.. can’t finish.

If he suddenly turns on the switch for the playoffs, like people continue to fantasize about for some unknown reason, I’ll be absolutely shocked.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He was a gamble. It didn’t pay off. Can’t skate, can’t stay on his feet, can’t handle the puck.. can’t finish.

If he suddenly turns on the switch for the playoffs, like people continue to fantasize about for some unknown reason, I’ll be absolutely shocked.
If he could keep up with the pace and just looked out of place in the system, i'd hold out hope for a playoff turnaround. But like you said he looks like a massively declined player that can't handle a 5ft pass, can't even carry the puck without pressure, can't stay on his feet, etc.

Draws parallels to Clarkson in a lot of ways. I wouldn't sign him for longer than 2 years if I were another team this summer.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Bertuzzi has a NMC. Would he waive it?
Red Wings recieved a first round pick, 4th round pick, retained 50% of his salary.
Good news about Bertuzzi, he can be replaced for 1 million, and that extra 4.5 million can be added to the back end.
Why would you trade so many future assets for a couple months of salary relief in a season in which we are not competitive?

Thats one of the dumbest suggestions ive seen in a while.

Reactions: horner

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Seem like a mason marchment situation.

year 1 regular season with new team just doesn't click: "then hit a rough patch, probably mentally more than anything,” Marchment said. “I think it kind of dragged on me throughout the year. Towards the end of the season, I started finding my game a little more and kind of got back to playing the way I’m supposed to be playing.”

I would expect year 2 to go more like marchment year 2 in dallas. 16 goals and 41 points right now.

maybe the lack of points year 1 allow us to lock him up at 4 mil long term. He most likely goes back to 20 goal seasons next year. I dont see it realistic that this year is his usual moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad