Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Tyler Bertuzzi (1 year, $5.5M)

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Bert and Domi both reminded us why their teams loved them in the Playoffs against the Blues. Definitely stood out. At the end of the day, we just need our depth forwards to stand out more than the other teams depth forwards in the playoffs. Bertuzzi (and Domi) help you achieve that goal.

Bertuzzi lead all players across both teams in xGoals playing 2nd liner minutes. Yeah yeah laugh it up, xGoals, but these stats matter in the regular season because 82 games is enough time to fine tune yourself for the playoffs and put up some points.
Expected goals……hahahahahahahah but no real goals, great stat ( to be fair you did say laugh it up)

Reactions: arso40

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Seem like a mason marchment situation.

year 1 regular season with new team just doesn't click: "then hit a rough patch, probably mentally more than anything,” Marchment said. “I think it kind of dragged on me throughout the year. Towards the end of the season, I started finding my game a little more and kind of got back to playing the way I’m supposed to be playing.”

I would expect year 2 to go more like marchment year 2 in dallas. 16 goals and 41 points right now.

maybe the lack of points year 1 allow us to lock him up at 4 mil long term. He most likely goes back to 20 goal seasons next year. I dont see it realistic that this year is his usual moving forward
And maybe in the last 3rd of the season he scores 40 points, which means he is actually is 120 point man (to some on this board), therefore he is a 15m player that we got cheap.
😁😁😁😁

Reactions: hullsy47 and arso40

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
With him being so poor in other facets of the game, he'd still be a liability at only 20. Engvall could have given us 15-20 and with much better defense. He's gotta go, and if we can get a decent asset for him at the deadline, I'd do it.

You're probably right, but I doubt he can get anything decent in return right now.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's gonna have to have a hell of a playoffs to get the sour taste of this regular season out of everyone's mouth.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He has a grand total of 7 GP in his previous 7 seasons and 60% of of his 10 points came on the PP which he doesn't play here.

I'm hoping the puck starts going in for him, but I'm not convinced there is a "Playoff Bert" that is much different than what we are seeing now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
overall he's played fairly well outside of putting the puck in the net , but he needs to score .

oh well , as least we won't have pay to dump him like slick Nick Ritchie

Reactions: Buds17

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Don't worry about the cool crowd that only act like advanced stats exist when it serves their agenda.

Bertuzzi will be fine whether it's with us or another team. If another team, Keefe needs to finally go (As in, his poor raw stats carry into playoffs, but as soon as he plays for another team, he goes back to being a 60 point winger. I'll understand if a strong playoffs prices him out to another team.)
goes back to it? You mean 4 years ago when he did it once in his career? next highest was 48 pts.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Could be. Playoff hockey is a different game though - not sure the cape works in the regular season. You could wonder about a lot of players through that lens.

Also I don't think of him as a playoff player for us only because of his seven game production, but his composure and play style benefitting us when the bus gets parked, players fade, the stars stop working, and games get tight and greasy.
Go back and watch Bert last year.....yes he got points playing with the big boys in Boston in the playoffs but man he was a turnover machine and often in his own end. He got the points but that doesnt tell the whole story.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He has a grand total of 7 GP in his previous 7 seasons and 60% of of his 10 points came on the PP which he doesn't play here.

I'm hoping the puck starts going in for him, but I'm not convinced there is a "Playoff Bert" that is much different than what we are seeing now.
My very optimistic hope it's that his luck bounces back because he's under produced for his chances.

His play has disappointed, but he should still be more productive than he's been, especially lately.

Reactions: Buds17

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Does the Player Assistance Program include priests, witch doctors, or other experts in curse lifting?
Unless he's been injured the whole season, Player Assistance Program or Robidas Island. Either one will do, especially if he is willing to stay there until the playoffs start. Got to get value for our 5.5M somehow.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

A lack of PP production has arguably been partially responsible for hampering his current tenure here. YMMV as to whether that is more of a player or coaching problem.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s time to auction him off and spend those assets on something different in season. You can see the effort but there’s no stylistic fit.

Reactions: Kurtz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's hard to be critical of the guy because he's been working his ass off, but I thought he would be a much better finisher.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's hard to be critical of the guy because he's been working his ass off, but I thought he would be a much better finisher.

Yeah I hear ya. I respect his contribution but also imagine if he were just a productive top 6 player like Tyler Toffoli or something.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's been pointed out that he works hard and that he has good underlying numbers, but I'm not convinced he's simply unlucky. I'm sure he's had some bad luck; however, I think that at this point his finishing ability simply isn't that good. Following injuries, it's diminished to the point that he may never score 20 goals again, let alone 30.

Some players simply get/create a lot of chances but can't finish for shit. That's just how it is. They're usually pretty frustrating.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I will completely reserve judgement on him until after the playoffs. But yeah, he hasn’t had a good year at all.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Half the time watching Bert I can't believe how snake bitten he is and notice all the helpful things he does. The other half I'm wondering what the hell he is doing. They need to get him off that line at least, like what does it take, Knies is struggling too just swap em for a bit.

I thought we were getting a Konecny. But still want to see him in the playoffs this year, lest we forget previous lessons learned from past post seasons.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He missed an open net by a good five feet or so yesterday. Can we be sure he's just unlucky? His shooting seems... off.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Bertuzzi hasn't been as nasty as I'd expected. Only a couple of times this year he's brought out that "junkyard dog" style he had in Detroit and Boston. Can't even chalk it up to the Leafs playstyle neutering him since guys like Benoit, McCabe, Domi, Knies, Rielly, McMann, Lagesson, and Reaves have mucked it up on numerous occasions as the team keeps building that pack mentality. He's been a bit too passive for my liking. Would be able to better digest the lack of goals if he were at least being an asshole out there.

Reactions: hullsy47

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It was kind of comical how Matthews had to pretty much fire one off him for him to score.

The upside is he seems to be a positive in the room, and guys seem to like him.

I am hopeful as he has generated a lot more chances lately.

Surely they will start going in??

Reactions: authentic

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Bertuzzi hasn't been as nasty as I'd expected. Only a couple of times this year he's brought out that "junkyard dog" style he had in Detroit and Boston. Can't even chalk it up to the Leafs playstyle neutering him since guys like Benoit, McCabe, Domi, Knies, Rielly, McMann, Lagesson, and Reaves have mucked it up on numerous occasions as the team keeps building that pack mentality. He's been a bit too passive for my liking. Would be able to better digest the lack of goals if he were at least being an asshole out there.
Tyler beruzzi is not or ever will be Todd bertuzzi
He isn't a playoff legend .he got 10 points in a series the bruins lost

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Obviously his offence has been disappointing. The effort is there and he is greasy and willing to do the dirty work. That’s usually how goals are scored in the playoffs. Hopefully he can start converting or at least have pucks deflect off of him

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3