Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Tyler Bertuzzi (1 year, $5.5M)

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Most of you deserve watching him putting up 20 goals and 60 points on another team next year
Bertuzzi has a 53% corsi, 57% xG, 58% SCF and 60% HDCF on a team getting crushed analytically overall.

He 100% will put up points eventually. He's actually looked pretty good since the birth of his child. Puck just isn't going in.

Interesting to compare him to Marchments first season in Dallas. I do get a feeling Bertuzzi just hasn't fit in here or hasn't been deployed in a manner to find chemistry with his team. I personally don't like how Keefe is always up his ass. Let the guy find his groove. He seemed to turn a corner when we beat the Wings in Sweden, then I saw Keefe yelling like a lunatic a few games later followed by Bertuzzi disappearing.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Bertuzzi has a 53% corsi, 57% xG, 58% SCF and 60% HDCF on a team getting crushed analytically overall.
Didn't know that. I guess this only matters if we're defending keeping engvall.

He was a big factor in the 3rd against Wings. I expect that in the Playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: DraftSchmaft

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Didn't know that. I guess this only matters if we're defending keeping engvall.

He was a big factor in the 3rd against Wings. I expect that in the Playoffs
Don't worry about the cool crowd that only act like advanced stats exist when it serves their agenda.

Bertuzzi will be fine whether it's with us or another team. If another team, Keefe needs to finally go (As in, his poor raw stats carry into playoffs, but as soon as he plays for another team, he goes back to being a 60 point winger. I'll understand if a strong playoffs prices him out to another team.)

Reactions: Hoglund4MvP

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Don't worry about the cool crowd that only act like advanced stats exist when it serves their agenda.

Bertuzzi will be fine whether it's with us or another team. If another team, Keefe needs to finally go (As in, his poor raw stats carry into playoffs, but as soon as he plays for another team, he goes back to being a 60 point winger. I'll understand if a strong playoffs prices him out to another team.)
Lafferty has quickly turned into one of the worst depth players you could possibly own since unsustainable start after we had to hear for half a season how big a loss he was, so I'm sticking to root for bertuzzi instead of listening to others

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Lafferty has quickly turned into one of the worst depth players you could possibly own since unsustainable start after we had to hear for half a season how big a loss he was, so I'm sticking to root for bertuzzi instead of listening to others
The cool crowd suffers many losses my friend. Better to stick to what you believe in since you actually back it up instead of just stating it like you own the place.

Reactions: Hoglund4MvP

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs should retain 50% on Bert and trade him IMO. Get something for him. Do the same with Domi at TDL.

let the young kids get more minutes and gain NHL experience. If we make the playoffs thats great thats even more experience. If we don't then thats fine as well; we still have 1st rounder this season.

Just please don't buy at TDL

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Leafs should retain 50% on Bert and trade him IMO. Get something for him. Do the same with Domi at TDL.

let the young kids get more minutes and gain NHL experience. If we make the playoffs thats great thats even more experience. If we don't then thats fine as well; we still have 1st rounder this season.

Just please don't buy at TDL
I'm all for trading Bert, but he's got what a goal in his last 30? What are you realistically getting back?
I'd rather sit him for a few games and hope it sobers him up.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I know some will want to flog me for this but I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him for 2-3 years at a lesser average.

I think this will end up being one of his worst years offensively and he likely goes back to a 20 goal guy next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I know some will want to flog me for this but I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him for 2-3 years at a lesser average.

I think this will end up being one of his worst years offensively and he likely goes back to a 20 goal guy next year.

With him being so poor in other facets of the game, he'd still be a liability at only 20. Engvall could have given us 15-20 and with much better defense. He's gotta go, and if we can get a decent asset for him at the deadline, I'd do it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How Tyler Bertuzzi conned the Leafs to get a $5 million contract needs to be studied by the future generation.

You don’t have to do much conning with Treliving. Just have to say look I scored 30 goals once or I was really good at punching people in the mouth 10 years ago and you get whatever you ask for.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Biggest problem with Bert is his production is so low the Leafs likely won't be able to re-sign him at an appropriate AAV. Other teams will tack on a 'change of scenery' premium that Toronto can't justify.

I'm all for keeping Bert and excited for playoff Bert, but if he's a rental, it could be tough to carry a rental this year if say a 1st is on the table.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Biggest problem with Bert is his production is so low the Leafs likely won't be able to re-sign him at an appropriate AAV. Other teams will tack on a 'change of scenery' premium that Toronto can't justify.

I'm all for keeping Bert and excited for playoff Bert, but if he's a rental, it could be tough to carry a rental this year if say a 1st is on the table.

I think if Bert had that playoff magic cape to put on, he would have done so already during this futility streak. I think maybe he was just in a perfect spot with PP duty and got the good bounces in a short stretch last year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think if Bert had that playoff magic cape to put on, he would have done so already during this futility streak. I think maybe he was just in a perfect spot with PP duty and got the good bounces in a short stretch last year.
No, no, don't you see? He's playing horrible, losing games, hurting his team, people are laughing at him, he's being dropped down the lineup in a contract year, and he's watching millions go down the drain after betting on himself, but he's secretly just not bothering to try until game 1 of the playoffs cause reasons. :sarcasm:

Reactions: myleafs and Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
No, no, don't you see? He's playing horrible, losing games, hurting his team, people are laughing at him, he's being dropped down the lineup in a contract year, and he's watching millions go down the drain after betting on himself, but he's secretly just not bothering to try until game 1 of the playoffs cause reasons. :sarcasm:

Yeah, that's true this is also his contract year, he's basically in his November Nylander period right now. It ain't an effort problem. The only way I could see him markedly improving is if he actually has hidden long covid effects and is playing through it right now. That or his numerous injuries just caught up.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Could be. Playoff hockey is a different game though - not sure the cape works in the regular season. You could wonder about a lot of players through that lens.

Also I don't think of him as a playoff player for us only because of his seven game production, but his composure and play style benefitting us when the bus gets parked, players fade, the stars stop working, and games get tight and greasy.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah, that's true this is also his contract year, he's basically in his November Nylander period right now. It ain't an effort problem. The only way I could see him markedly improving is if he actually has hidden long covid effects and is playing through it right now. That or his numerous injuries just caught up.

Apparently he broke both his hands a while ago and you have to think he never healed fully because he can’t hit the net if his life depended on it. I’ve never seen someone flub so many prime scoring opportunities in my life.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Apparently he broke both his hands a while ago and you have to think he never healed fully because he can’t hit the net if his life depended on it. I’ve never seen someone flub so many prime scoring opportunities in my life.
SH%
2018-2019: 16.0%
2019-2020: 16.3%
2020-2021: 25.0% (9 GP)
2021-2022: 16.7%
*injuries to both hands*
2022-2023: 7.5%
2023-2024: 6.2%

He also had back surgery the year before and missed almost the whole season, and while he did have a career year afterward, sometimes problems start reemerging later.

Reactions: authentic and Kurtz

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Looked fine with Marner Tavares and Rielly out. Doesn't have the raw stats to back it up but he's definitely gonna hold his own in a top 6.

He's still not on my radar as a playoff worry. Players are starting to notice league wide the NHL regular season is becoming a bit of a joke when you have a good team

Last edited:
Reactions: Shooter2x

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Looked fine with Marner Tavares and Rielly out. Doesn't have the raw stats to back it up but he's definitely gonna hold his own in a top 6.

He's still not on my radar as a playoff worthy. Players are starting to notice league wide the NHL regular season is becoming a bit of a joke when you have a good team
Bert and Domi both reminded us why their teams loved them in the Playoffs against the Blues. Definitely stood out. At the end of the day, we just need our depth forwards to stand out more than the other teams depth forwards in the playoffs. Bertuzzi (and Domi) help you achieve that goal.

Bertuzzi lead all players across both teams in xGoals playing 2nd liner minutes. Yeah yeah laugh it up, xGoals, but these stats matter in the regular season because 82 games is enough time to fine tune yourself for the playoffs and put up some points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Bert and Domi both reminded us why their teams loved them in the Playoffs against the Blues. Definitely stood out. At the end of the day, we just need our depth forwards to stand out more than the other teams depth forwards in the playoffs. Bertuzzi (and Domi) help you achieve that goal.

Bertuzzi lead all players across both teams in xGoals playing 2nd liner minutes. Yeah yeah laugh it up, xGoals, but these stats matter in the regular season because 82 games is enough time to fine tune yourself for the playoffs and put up some points.
Long road to spring. People just need to be mad to kill time in the mean time.

Leafs in 4 all day let's gooooo

• Haha
Reactions: Shooter2x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad