Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Tyler Bertuzzi (1 year, $5.5M)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Bertuzzi $2-$2.5 million cheaper as an high energy, greasy third liner would be great. I've no idea if he'd go for it but his lack of offence would be a lot more palatable at that price range.

Yeah like if he had come in making the same money as Max Domi, the frustration level wouldn’t be as high for what he does. That said he’s gotta score or get shipped out for a better use of assets and cap space. Something like the Versteeg trade.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So we agree on everything except Domi, I did expect 15 goals and 50 points.
2 points in last 14 games. I believe he has been held scoreless in 32 games this season. We'll see if he can hit the 40 points some think would make him good value. Although he probably won't score the 10 goals Kerfoot did last year. Keefe needs to give this guy more time with offensive players but he'd rather ride the 3 amigos into the ground rather than throw the rest of the forwards a bone or two.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The signing was very smart based on need and also smart based on term. It hasn't worked out. I don't think this has anything to do with any GM. The player isn't living up to his part of the deal. It's solely on him. He's been shit.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Besides stay at home defenceman, anyone else that joined this team hasn’t done well. There’s more to it than just blaming the player.

Take Riley Nash as an example, he completely dominates us when he’s on Columbus and Boston. Was even Bostons 2nd line center when they had an injury. Comes here and he’s scratched majority of playoffs.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Besides stay at home defenceman, anyone else that joined this team hasn’t done well. There’s more to it than just blaming the player.

Take Riley Nash as an example, he completely dominates us when he’s on Columbus and Boston. Was even Bostons 2nd line center when they had an injury. Comes here and he’s scratched majority of playoffs.

No... they have to fit... and he doesn't fit... not his fault really.

Though I have to say, I think plenty of players have come here and done well... Bunting, Gio, Brodie, Jarnkrok, Lafferty, Acciari, O'Reilly (9 points in 11 games in PO), Spezza, Mikheyev,

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Bertuzzi's value isn't about the regular season, it's about the difference he's able to make in the playoffs.

Even amongst the Detroit faithful that's been the apprehension: Bertuzzi's style of play is tailor-made for the playoffs. His entire hockey career bears this out. He just never had the team in Detroit to make use of it. Went to Boston and Voila!

Here's hoping. If not, smart gamble with no long-term entanglements.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It's not a long term deal because Treliving couldn't get that done, he reportedly wanted one though.

Kind of like how Dale Tallon saved us from Nonis wanting to sign Dave Bolland for 5 years. But it was Trelving who saved himself from because he couldn't get a long term deal done.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't really like him as a player. He just doesn't seem to accomplish that much. He looks like he tries and he does have some grit and jam to his game, but he doesn't seem to have much of a finishing touch (no idea how this guy scored 30 goals for DET once) and he seems to not complement or mesh well with guys like Nylander, Marner and Matthews. He's had plenty of offensive opportunities over the course of the season.

If he was being paid half his salary, I'd be happier with him. I prefer a guy like Jankrok to Bert.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It's not a long term deal because Treliving couldn't get that done, he reportedly wanted one though.

Kind of like how Dale Tallon saved us from Nonis wanting to sign Dave Bolland for 5 years. But it was Trelving who saved himself from because he couldn't get a long term deal done.
If there was a long term deal out there for Bert, I’m sure he would have signed one.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If there was a long term deal out there for Bert, I’m sure he would have signed one.

Maybe... but then again, someone offered him a long-term deal at less money than we did for one year... and he's looking at the offensive stars we have, and thinks he's going to put up Hyman/Bunting numbers and then be able to really cash in....

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Maybe... but then again, someone offered him a long-term deal at less money than we did for one year... and he's looking at the offensive stars we have, and thinks he's going to put up Hyman/Bunting numbers and then be able to really cash in....
Good possibility of this as well

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
2 points in last 14 games. I believe he has been held scoreless in 32 games this season. We'll see if he can hit the 40 points some think would make him good value. Although he probably won't score the 10 goals Kerfoot did last year. Keefe needs to give this guy more time with offensive players but he'd rather ride the 3 amigos into the ground rather than throw the rest of the forwards a bone or two.
You need 2 guys on 3rd line to score 15 goals of 40 points to have a decent chance in the playoffs. We need people do what they were hired to do, like Bert or Reaves. McCabe takes a huge cheap hit from Marchment. Reaves? Says we wanted to win the game and I am sure he was busy with his dressing room muc tape prep. Nobody on another team should feel comfortable taking cheap shots like that.

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You need 2 guys on 3rd line to score 15 goals of 40 points to have a decent chance in the playoffs. We need people do what they were hired to do, like Bert or Reaves. McCabe takes a huge cheap hit from Marchment. Reaves? Says we wanted to win the game and I am sure he was busy with his dressing room muc tape prep. Nobody on another team should feel comfortable taking cheap shots like that.

Interesting enough... you've got;

Jarnkrok with 10 goals 19 points in 46 games.... 18 goal pace.
Domi with 41 point pace.
Roberston with 18/19 goal pace, 37 point pace..

That's not far off is it?

I liked the way that Benoit stepped up on Marchment though.. and McCabe is a guy who can handle himself... we need more Benoit/McCabe in the lineup.. guys who can play, and are willing to step up.

Reactions: Al14

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Bertuzzi's value isn't about the regular season, it's about the difference he's able to make in the playoffs.

This is wishful thinking. The guy has played one playoff series his whole career.

He was worth a gamble on a one year but he's been very disappointing.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He is not playing full speed in regular season hockey .. a lot of vets don't .. you just do enough to get by

So he’s played his entire career doing just enough to get by (he isn’t getting by though) and we’ve only seen his full effort for a grand total of 7 games in his entire career? Damn what a lazy SOB, doesn’t sound like the kind of character you want in the room.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So he’s played his entire career doing just enough to get by (he isn’t getting by though) and we’ve only seen his full effort for a grand total of 7 games in his entire career? Damn what a lazy SOB, doesn’t sound like the kind of character you want in the room.
Nylander sits out for 2 months until Dubas gives him $45m for 6 years.
Matty takes Dubas to the woodshed for $11.634 x 6.
Marner only accepts $10.893x6 after what he was turning down was leaked
Matty takes 13.25m for 4 years after MacKinnon signs for $100K more than McDavid and for 8 years
Nylander demands and gets $11.25m because Matty would not take a discount
Tavares fighting not to pay $8m in taxes

Bertuzzi fits right in

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Interesting enough... you've got;

Jarnkrok with 10 goals 19 points in 46 games.... 18 goal pace.
Domi with 41 point pace.
Roberston with 18/19 goal pace, 37 point pace..

That's not far off is it?

I liked the way that Benoit stepped up on Marchment though.. and McCabe is a guy who can handle himself... we need more Benoit/McCabe in the lineup.. guys who can play, and are willing to step up.
Jarnrok got most playing with the big guys. Robertson with 15 or 16 would be great.
Benoit is a find for sure and he is one òf only a few to step up, Gio has, McCabe has but Reaves should never let the other team feel they can do that.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nylander sits out for 2 months until Dubas gives him $45m for 6 years.
Matty takes Dubas to the woodshed for $11.634 x 6.
Marner only accepts $10.893x6 after what he was turning down was leaked
Matty takes 13.25m for 4 years after MacKinnon signs for $100K more than McDavid and for 8 years
Nylander demands and gets $11.25m because Matty would not take a discount
Tavares fighting not to pay $8m in taxes

Bertuzzi fits right in

They actually do what they’re paid to do though, Bertuzzi’s apparently made millions for 7 career games of effort.

Reactions: ToneDog

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It took longer than I expected for Domi & Bertuzzi to make their signings look like mistakes, but there (likely) will be a chance this spring for them both to completely change the narrative.

I have a little more faith that Domi can turn it around simply because watching Bertuzzi makes me wonder how he's still considered an NHL player. He's just all over the place on the ice yet seems to have almost zero impact anywhere.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
This is wishful thinking. The guy has played one playoff series his whole career.

He was worth a gamble on a one year but he's been very disappointing.
Well, yes and no:

Yes, I want him to do well in the playoffs. We all do.

But if you look at his entire career, the playoffs is Bertuzzi-time.

And I look at it like this: The one time he got into the playoffs, he thrived, just like he did at every level.

That portion of his career doesn’t really fit the definition of wishful thinking.

It’s entirely possible, he’ll shine again.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Well, yes and no:

Yes, I want him to do well in the playoffs. We all do.

But if you look at his entire career, the playoffs is Bertuzzi-time.

And I look at it like this: The one time he got into the playoffs, he thrived, just like he did at every level.

That portion of his career doesn’t really fit the definition of wishful thinking.

It’s entirely possible, he’ll shine again.

It is entirely possible I'll win the lottery tonight too.. doesn't make it likely.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
It is entirely possible I'll win the lottery tonight too.. doesn't make it likely.
No, they’re two distinctly different propositions, and your initial use of wishful thinking was misplaced.

Bertuzzi was in the playoffs last year. If you bother to look at his entire career, you’ll see he typically produces better in the playoffs than in the regular season.

From the OHL to the AHL to the NHL, he has a distinct pattern of raising his game in the playoffs.

So to say that a season removed from being very productive in the playoffs, isn’t a reasonable predictor of future success, or that it’s unlikely, demonstrates an ignorance of his career, his playoffs season last year, and what wishful thinking actually means.

• Haha
Reactions: BraveCanadian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad