Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Tyler Bertuzzi (1 year, $5.5M)

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Still rooting for Bert, he was a fan favorite on the Wings but he missed a substantial amount of games over the years due to personal reasons, broken hands and a back issue. He really fumbled his big contract opportunity in Detroit in a few ways and may not get another one.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Boy was I wrong on Bert.

I really wanted to like the guy, but.hes played like rubbish for way too many games this season. It would be nice if he's still on the team he brings it during the playoffs, but worth remembering th guys only played a single playoff series in his entire NHL career so that's not exactly a lot to go on.

Imo one would be hard pressed to argue he deserves even Jarnkrok level dollars this offseason
His dollar value keeps dropping, I honestly don’t see him getting much more than 3.5 million per at this rate unless he goes off in the playoffs.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Competent GM would have had at least 2 of Moore Marchment Hyman Kadri still on the team and at least 1 multi year cost effective Hagel on the team with amount asset we spend.

Then we kept depth that was worse but still good enough to price themselves out but not good enough to win with in playoff

Any picks worth playing are already playing and none are top 6 worthy on their own yet.

We had to take shots at UFAs this year due to years of build up of depth and asset decline. And they were smartly 1 year deals to easily escape in they don't work out. You always have to overpay Ufa too. Common sense.

Bertuzzi was a nice signing given overall picture.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His dollar value keeps dropping, I honestly don’t see him getting much more than 3.5 million per at this rate unless he goes off in the playoffs.

He probably will. Maybe even more than 3.5

I don't think he's going to be worth that though to whatever team signs him, unless he relearns how to score again like he used to

Reactions: TMLAM34

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Don't worry folks when playoffs start Bert will help us in front of net and bang in a few and he will win some forecheck wall battles which is playoff hockey .. Bert is not really a regular season player .. but he will be exactly what we need when we fight Florida .. it will be a wall game and warriors will win da day
He's only had 7 PO games in his career. Sure they looked good on the box score but he won't be getting 3g and 3a on the PP this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Where were y'all before the season started when I was saying this was a shit signing?

I thought he was going to be a great signing, physically engaged scorer who would get on the Matthews line and just light it up while dragging his teammates into the fight

How wrong I was, he's just there not doing anything productive while eating over 5M in cap

Its brutal, not just for us but for him as well

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Boy was I wrong on Bert.

I really wanted to like the guy, but.hes played like rubbish for way too many games this season. It would be nice if he's still on the team he brings it during the playoffs, but worth remembering th guys only played a single playoff series in his entire NHL career so that's not exactly a lot to go on.

Imo one would be hard pressed to argue he deserves even Jarnkrok level dollars this offseason

Certainly, looks like the snot was just long covid.

It certainly, shows how large the gap is between the Core4 Forwards and the rest of the bunch.

Only one who looks like he could join the top 6 is Robertson, and he's just so raw.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If he wants out, breaking a sweat would be a good start. He has demonstrated only that he can cash a cheque, embarrass his Toronto friends and family and father a child (the best work he has done no doubt).
The combo of him and Domi has demonstrated that Leaf pro scouts have zero ability.
People who support this guy should be embarrassed.

Look, if you even watched a game once in a while, you wouldn't post outright BS like this. Bertuzzi is a buzz saw out there... he skates hard every shift... breaking a sweat is the least of his problems.

He isn't very effective, and has no chemistry with our guys at all, but the suggestion that the problem is effort is incredibly misguided. His results have been terrible, but it isn't for a lack of effort.

Basically, tell me you don't watch games, without telling me... a completely embarrassing take, with a dose of entitled anger.

Plus, if you think 0.5 PPG out of a 3C, at $3 million, is terrible, you just don't have any grasp on the reality of the hockey world, and what you get for pay. Domi was 62nd in scoring for C's as of this morning... that's near the bottom of 2C's.... I mean, give your head a shake.
1707448550308.png

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Competent GM would have had at least 2 of Moore Marchment Hyman Kadri still on the team and at least 1 multi year cost effective Hagel on the team with amount asset we spend.

Then we kept depth that was worse but still good enough to price themselves out but not good enough to win with in playoff

Any picks worth playing are already playing and none are top 6 worthy on their own yet.

We had to take shots at UFAs this year due to years of build up of depth and asset decline. And they were smartly 1 year deals to easily escape in they don't work out. You always have to overpay Ufa too. Common sense.

Bertuzzi was a nice signing given overall picture.
I mean, everything said here is truth.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I mean, everything said here is truth.
Treliving can't even make any deal right now because if he trades our 1st we only draft once in top 2 rounds next 3 years (2024-2026) and we have nothing prior to show for it. That's sad. 1 / 6 of the best rounds if we make splash at deadline. We'd have someone by now if past asset management and drafting was better.

Lots of smoke show hating on trelivings moves to hide the real problems that already existed. bertuzzi and domi were good gambles this year. They had very good playoffs last season and if they repeat, they put a quick bandaid on all the problems. And we have open space to gamble again next year then tavares will be on a lower cap hit after that. We are lucky we have the core we have it's makes gambling less stress

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Treliving can't even make any deal right now because if he trades our 1st we only draft once in top 2 rounds next 3 years (2024-2026) and we have nothing prior to show for it. That's sad. 1 / 6 of the best rounds if we make splash at deadline. We'd have someone by now if past asset management and drafting was better.

Lots of smoke show hating on trelivings moves to hide the real problems that already existed. bertuzzi and domi were good gambles this year. They had very good playoffs last season and if they repeat, they put a quick bandaid on all the problems. And we have open space to gamble again next year then tavares will be on a lower cap hit after that. We are lucky we have the core we have it's makes gambling less stress

Yeah, I don't see any names that don't break down as sideways moves as far as regular season goes.

O'Reilly is the only name I'd swap for Bertuzzi. O'Reilly had zero heart during our run though, so he has a "meh" feel.

When you scan through the list, it's hard not to pluck Bertuzzi from the list for the playoffs.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

Yeah, I don't see any names that don't break down as sideways moves as far as regular season goes.

O'Reilly is the only name I'd swap for Bertuzzi. O'Reilly had zero heart during our run though, so he has a "meh" feel.

When you scan through the list, it's hard not to pluck Bertuzzi from the list for the playoffs.
Hindsight has double standard use here. Even Pens are allowed to miss the playoffs, lose a 1st rounder and add 10 mil of what will become dead cap for their soon to come goals and play it off as was a good choice at the time.

I say it again Bertuzzi was a good 1 year signing and still has playoffs to make up for everything since Leafs will be in it

But its more important to focus on why we had to make these ufa moves like I mention before

Reactions: Shooter2x

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Hindsight has double standard use here. Even Pens are allowed to miss the playoffs, lose a 1st rounder and add 10 mil of what will become dead cap for their soon to come goals and play it off as was a good choice at the time.

I say it again Bertuzzi was a good 1 year signing and still has playoffs to make up for everything since Leafs will be in it

But its more important to focus on why we had to make these ufa moves like I mention before
Out of the players who received > 5 mil in UFA, Bertuzzi is tied with Compher as the youngest. Attrition is key in the playoffs and we lacked top 6 depth around the core as well.

I will be rooting for Bertuzzi come Spring time.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Everyone hating on Bert will still take him over a Kerfoot + Engvall combo if they were forced to make the choice on game 1 of round 1. If they say they wouldn't, they will make a burner account 2 seconds later to speak their truth instead so they don't piss off their friends.

/thread

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Klingberg, flop 4.1m
Bert flop, 5.5m
Domi, flop
Samsanov, bum, 3.5m
Reaves, flop, 3 yrs
Gregor, ???
Benoit, good, 900,000

1 out if 7
Either Treliving doesn't listen or scouts are bad
Klingberg - off the books forever
Bertuzzi - slow start but good playoff performer
Domi - fine value at 3 m. No surplus but not a liability.
Samsonov - He's been bad but easily movable.
Reaves - Not good but doesn't really cost us.
Gregor - good value
Benoit - great value.

The only real bad thing here moving forward is Reaves and Samsonov and one costs almost nothing and the other is easily movable.

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Everyone hating on Bert will still take him over a Kerfoot + Engvall combo if they were forced to make the choice on game 1 of round 1. If they say they wouldn't, they will make a burner account 2 seconds later to speak their truth instead so they don't piss off their friends.

/thread

Regular season I'd easily take Kerfoot + Engvall. Playoffs I might have to choose none of the above.... but maybe we'll get to see if Bert shows up for us in the playoffs, and proves me wrong, but I just don't see any chemistry there. Bertuzzi seemed to have instant chemistry in Boston... 16 points in 21 games in the regular season, with 10 of those points coming in the last 8 games. Dude had 20 points in his last 15 games as Bruin. He has 21 points in 48 games with us...

Gregor - good value
Benoit - great value.

The only real bad thing here moving forward is Reaves and Samsonov and one costs almost nothing and the other is easily movable.
Kampf too...

I don't think Gregor has been good value. He's the wrong guy to play with Kampf, and they bleed chances and goals against. His points are fine, as long as the other team isn't scoring double the goals against... He has speed, but it just doesn't work. He was the same with San Jose last year, giving up a ton of goals against.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Had to trade Moore because we bet on Sparks, then had to get Hutchinson, then finally had to bite the bullet and trade him for Campbell. Marchment for Malgin is an all time unforced error. Hyman should've been kept and Kerfoot dealt instead. Kadri I can understand why the deal happened but it still hurts seeing the type of play he brings thrive elsewhere and the fact that Barrie didn't work and Kerfoot was a poor substitute.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Regular season I'd easily take Kerfoot + Engvall. Playoffs I might have to choose none of the above.... but maybe we'll get to see if Bert shows up for us in the playoffs, and proves me wrong, but I just don't see any chemistry there. Bertuzzi seemed to have instant chemistry in Boston... 16 points in 21 games in the regular season, with 10 of those points coming in the last 8 games. Dude had 20 points in his last 15 games as Bruin. He has 21 points in 48 games with us...

Kampf too...

I don't think Gregor has been good value. He's the wrong guy to play with Kampf, and they bleed chances and goals against. His points are fine, as long as the other team isn't scoring double the goals against... He has speed, but it just doesn't work. He was the same with San Jose last year, giving up a ton of goals against.

I liked Gregor early on, but honestly don’t really like him much anymore. Kampf at his sub 2 was great at his current contract he’s not worth it imo

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I thought he was going to be a great signing, physically engaged scorer who would get on the Matthews line and just light it up while dragging his teammates into the fight

How wrong I was, he's just there not doing anything productive while eating over 5M in cap

Its brutal, not just for us but for him as well
Yeah. I thought the same thing. He seemed like a almost perfect fit.

Reactions: Kiwi

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Out of the players who received > 5 mil in UFA, Bertuzzi is tied with Compher as the youngest. Attrition is key in the playoffs and we lacked top 6 depth around the core as well.

I will be rooting for Bertuzzi come Spring time.
Would still trade bert for bunting and a 1st if they’d ever consider it

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If they can package him off for whatever return and use that cap space and whatever spare change towards something else, that would be the way to go…

But as hard as people are on him he looks like a buzzy third liner whom you wouldn’t mind having if only he didn’t make $5.5 million.

Bertuzzi $2-$2.5 million cheaper as an high energy, greasy third liner would be great. I've no idea if he'd go for it but his lack of offence would be a lot more palatable at that price range.

Reactions: arso40

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Bertuzzi has been terrible. Guys skating is atrocious. I wouldn’t care if he signed for cheap that next contract is gonna look terrible.

Domi, Bertuzzi are all one year experiments thankfully. Looks like at the TDL we will still be in the thick of the playoff hunt. Stand pat unless a hockey trade comes around. If we all of a sudden lose 10 in a row sell everyone not part of this team long term.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Look, if you even watched a game once in a while, you wouldn't post outright BS like this. Bertuzzi is a buzz saw out there... he skates hard every shift... breaking a sweat is the least of his problems.

He isn't very effective, and has no chemistry with our guys at all, but the suggestion that the problem is effort is incredibly misguided. His results have been terrible, but it isn't for a lack of effort.

Basically, tell me you don't watch games, without telling me... a completely embarrassing take, with a dose of entitled anger.

Plus, if you think 0.5 PPG out of a 3C, at $3 million, is terrible, you just don't have any grasp on the reality of the hockey world, and what you get for pay. Domi was 62nd in scoring for C's as of this morning... that's near the bottom of 2C's.... I mean, give your head a shake.
View attachment 816837
If we want comedy I will watch Seinfeld reruns.
He was brought to be secondary scorer, given a spot beside 2 of the best players in the league and since has shown nothing, no hands, no scoring, no forecheck, no toughness, no passion to influence the fame, and most importantly no consistency on defensive part of the game. 5.5m, he is no refugee from Hersey. He was in the top echelon of hockey's best league. I bet that his friends have heard " you know Bert right, what the f... is wrong with him". The fan expectations, including mine, were much much higher than you quoting some stats that matter little as you get beat out again. Your eyes can see. Has he had a few outings worthy, yes, but few. He carries the can for our mediocre season, to date.he was paid and expected to be heads over all the other forwards except the big 4. He is not.
At 1.7m he is ok, at 5.5m he is a bum. Too costly to bench. He is killing us. (Not the only one)

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Gregor - good value
Benoit - great value.

So we agree on everything except Domi, I did expect 15 goals and 50 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad