Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
On a base level I get this signing. On a "Hey. We need a ******* warrior to play for the Leafs!" We seem to be just getting more of what we have. I really worry because I don't think Kyle sees it. I think Shanahan sees it, but he's made his bed unfortunately.

Who are our warriors?! Clifford? He might be done in TOR. Muzzin? Great. He's just one guy. Barabanov? Probably not. I hope to God he proves me wrong.

What are your thoughts on Brendan Gallagher?

I know this guy is a short Russian and that's all one needs to know to judge him but by all accounts and what I saw at WC's he's an absolute fire hydrant who is a bulldog on the puck and attacks the net with reckless abandon.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When you think about what makes a winning team, what this team lacks, when you think about success being extremely fleeting for Kyle Dubas then yes you don't ignore what you are lacking. This team has plenty of what Barabanov is offering if you really want to look at things plainly.
Even more basic than that is saving $2.5M in CAP space with Barabanov vs AJ ...
or saving $1M in CAP space swapping Kerfoot and Sissons ...
Look deeper we need to improve our backend so we need cheaper 3rd liners who can do more on PK and defensively
We have to improve our team next season with a lower CAP
This is first of a few moves likely ...

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
What are your thoughts on Brendan Gallagher?

I know this guy is a short Russian and that's all one needs to know to judge him but by all accounts and what I saw at WC's he's an absolute fire hydrant who is a bulldog on the puck and attacks the net with reckless abandon.
First time time I saw Gallagher,I thought Darcy Tucker.:thumbu:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Even more basic than that is saving $2.5M in CAP space with Barabanov vs AJ ...
or saving $1M in CAP space swapping Kerfoot and Sissons ...
Look deeper we need to improve our backend so we need cheaper 3rd liners who can do more on PK and defensively
We have to improve our team next season with a lower CAP
This is first of a few moves likely ...

I see your point, but we still have AJ, and Kerfoot. Sissons in not a Leaf as far as I know. Getting value for both Kerfoot and AJ is not a guarantee. AJ could be percieved as damaged goods, and Kerfoot could be percieved as a player that doesn't live up to his contract (or has adequate stick handling for an NHLer - kidding!).

My point is that yes Barabanov fills a need, it's only a cap need. We think he might be ok, and an NHLer. We really don't know. I know it's early, but I am not singing KD's praises for this one.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have no problem taking a shot at these free agents from Europe. What do they have to lose?

Let's not kid ourselves, this little guy looks like a 4th liner who can fill in for short periods on the 3rd line.

Dubas continues to bring in little people. (5'10"). I personally would prefer bigger players on the 4th line. Don't for a second think this guy can fill in for Johnsson, skill wise..
He weights 197 lbs

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
He's not small - he's thick as a drum :)

Sounds like he has the tools to be an effective penalty killer as well.
Just to clarify for everyone - "baraban or барабан" in Russian means "drum". : )))
If we go back in time it means that one of his grandfathers was known for beating or making drums.
Maybe he was even a royal drummer for a king!

Reactions: Kurtz

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have no problem taking a shot at these free agents from Europe. What do they have to lose?

Let's not kid ourselves, this little guy looks like a 4th liner who can fill in for short periods on the 3rd line.

Dubas continues to bring in little people. (5'10"). I personally would prefer bigger players on the 4th line. Don't for a second think this guy can fill in for Johnsson, skill wise..
He weights 197 lbs

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not sure there's a place for Korshkov next year. Could see him going to the K he can make a lot more there than on the Marlies.

I'm not so sure - i think he has some of the tools we need. Mainly tough on the puck
I don't see AJ here and Iwouldn't be shocked to see Kerfoot go

Reactions: kb

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've said it before and I'll say it again

Toronto is an extremely desirable destination for Russian UFA'S and the organization should take a bow for just how desirable it has become

If we're in on one of these guys I just expect to get him now

Just a nice bit of work and everybody inside the organization should take a bow

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for the link. I'm being a smart ass. I can't say I applaud this signing. Perhaps it indicates that AJ or another winger will be dealt. It doesn't indicate to me that the defense will be fixed any time soon.
A move like this gives us the option to trade guys like Kerfoot and Johnsson either for a D man or for picks and then you would have cap room to sign a D man like a Pietrangelo, Hamonic etc.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wonder if this is a 1 year audition with a good offensive team and then he can shop around the league for a bigger contract.

If that was the case I imagine he must of been promised top 9 usage as it sounds like there were plenty of other teams interested. If he can only play RW it may point towards Kap being shopped for a top 4 RD.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm not so sure - i think he has some of the tools we need. Mainly tough on the puck
I don't see AJ here and Iwouldn't be shocked to see Kerfoot go

A.j we should keep first. Kerfoot should be gone. I don’t like his game one bit.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Love this kind of addition. Costs us nothing other than the actual money. He's cheap as can be at $925k. This gives us potential flexibility to move on from some bigger cap-hits, and reorganize our team without damaging the strength of our forward depth.

It is difficult to tell exactly how a player will transition from the KHL to the NHL, but by all accounts, Barabanov is a talented player who has the right skillset to fit into a Keefe system, and I'm hopeful he can make a similar impact that Mikheyev made.

Reactions: willmma

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I wonder if this is a 1 year audition with a good offensive team and then he can shop around the league for a bigger contract.

If that was the case I imagine he must of been promised top 9 usage as it sounds like there were plenty of other teams interested. If he can only play RW it may point towards Kap being shopped for a top 4 RD.
My understanding is that the Leafs acquired him with the intention to use him at LW (just from the way Dubas talks about him '(making) plays across off the wing back to our guys in the middle or across the rink that are high-end shooters'...sounds more like passing to Nylander, Marner, & Kapanen than to Hyman, Mikheyev, & Johnsson. Who knows though.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I agree Johnsson is going to be moved.
Wish he was used as the 'sweetener' in the Marleau deal instead of the 1st.
Oh no no no, your not going there are you. We would never hear the end of it and this is a hindsight comment. No way it hold weight. He is a great trade chip in the coming phase anyway.

I would definitely keep the value he has over the Marleau sweetener type. Kerfoot is the one that really needs to go if one goes. I am bias as hell on him also so know that. I don’t like anything about Kerfoot, he doesn’t fit, he’s weak, terrible on faceoffs, he’s just never very noticable unless its in a bad way

Last edited:
Reactions: Advanced stats

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh no no no, your not going there are you. We would never hearbthevend of it and this is a hindsight comment. No way it hold weight. He is a great trade chip in the coming phase anyway.

I would definitely the value he has over the Marleau sweetener type. Kerfoot is the one that really needs to go if one goes. I am bias as hell on him also so know that. I don’t like anything about Kerfoot, he doesn’t fit, he’s weak, terrible on faceoffs, he’s just never very noticable unless its in a bad way
Not hindsight, I felt that way when the trade happened.
A 1st could also be considered 'a great trade chip'.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad