Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Read an article how Dubas had been courting this kid for a few years making trips over to Russia to visit him. I love that. I understand that people are still ticked at the big 4’s contracts for various reasons, but to give credit where it’s due, The leafs have done an exceptional job finding these depth players in Russia. And signing them for nothing.

If the leafs are to succeed with their current structure, it is extremely important to fill roster holes with depth signings like this (hopefully) and the mikheyev signing. Mikheyev being injured killed our depth this year.

Hopefully this kid proves something. If he plays himself into a johnsson like role, I think johnsson is shopped for some D help and cap space. With the backup situation rectified, you have to think some toughness and a d or 2 puts the leafs in a really nice spot. Where would they be in the standings this year if they had Campbell / Clifford all year?

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Read an article how Dubas had been courting this kid for a few years making trips over to Russia to visit him. I love that. I understand that people are still ticked at the big 4’s contracts for various reasons, but to give credit where it’s due, The leafs have done an exceptional job finding these depth players in Russia. And signing them for nothing.

If the leafs are to succeed with their current structure, it is extremely important to fill roster holes with depth signings like this (hopefully) and the mikheyev signing. Mikheyev being injured killed our depth this year.

Hopefully this kid proves something. If he plays himself into a johnsson like role, I think johnsson is shopped for some D help and cap space. With the backup situation rectified, you have to think some toughness and a d or 2 puts the leafs in a really nice spot. Where would they be in the standings this year if they had Campbell / Clifford all year?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can Barabanov play this season if its back ?

His contract is for next season the 2020-21 year.

Reason is, as per CBA rules, that all UFA players signed after the trade deadline must pass through NHL waivers first, before being eligible to play, and with the interest and the ELC contract he would all be certainly be claimed and lost.

Reactions: Anthrax442

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With all the Insiders around these days there must be a reason this fraud is allowed to keep his job.
Perhaps they keep him on as their 'eye candy' ?
Dregs as eye candy... :help:
I think he just tries too hard and in so doing has messed up a couple times trying to be first to break it.
Imo pretty much all news nowadays is yellow journalism so really it doesn't matter

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I know highlights are just that but I really like what I saw.

Fiesty, skilled and willing to go to the areas needed to score.

Have been a handfull of good Russian forwards that have come over in the last few years and in theory now would be the best time to pluck these players as the game is more weighted around skill and speed than ever before.

I think Caser the poster whos really informed on Russian players said he thinks Barabanov is around the same level as Mikheyev which is pretty exciting.

Great signing.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
This is a huge get for us mayne :clap: Mayne we doin thangs and moving thangs, hard. Dubas got his again and we are even stronger offensively now. This guy knows the game sire. Mayne we bout our money and players and the game ain't even played yet.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the link. I'm being a smart ass. I can't say I applaud this signing. Perhaps it indicates that AJ or another winger will be dealt. It doesn't indicate to me that the defense will be fixed any time soon.
I applaud the effort but there is nothing to like or dislike yet, IMO.
Have to see how he plays, it may work out or may not.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thanks for the link. I'm being a smart ass. I can't say I applaud this signing. Perhaps it indicates that AJ or another winger will be dealt. It doesn't indicate to me that the defense will be fixed any time soon.
Patience my friend.
Dubas has show a methodical approach to improving the team.
Bottom line is this move makes us a bit better and that might afford us to be able to trade someone for the defense you are looking for.
I don't think we are in a bad spot on D
Rielly ?
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Dermott
Liljegren
Marincin

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
What about toughness, or penalty killing?

I think it's more winger depth which to me was the biggest weakness last season. When a few injuries hit our depth scoring dried up to the point of almost nothing. Engvall, Malgin, Aberg, Marchment, Korshkov, Shore, Petan, Clifford, Brooks, etc, etc, etc all were for one reason or another couldn't bring enough when the depth was needed.

I don't see Barabanov here to be a top 6 winger, a physical winger or penalty killer(yes we need guys to PK and bring physicality as well but the off-season hasn't even started yet) but he can instantly come in and maybe fill the roll Ennis did a season ago with us or with Ottawa/Edmonton. Just come in and bring enough to chip in here , can play up and down the line-up as you need and if were lucky will be a really effective top 9 guy like Mikheyev ended up being . Finding that at an ELC level cheap is hard to do.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

With a top-heavy lineup from a salary cap perspective, Dubas will have to continually be creative and resourceful in terms of adding depth at all positions. Some of these moves will work out (Mikheyev) and some won't (Malgin?), but finding the right mix of cheap forward depth will be vital to the team competing over the next few years.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is no way he signed here unless he was guaranteed he was playing top 9. A 1 year ELC contract is a means to show his abilities. Playing on a 4th line he won't be able to put up numbers to get himself a contract of value. So I think that means AJ is done here in TO. Will AJ get traded in summer? Doubt it. More likely he plays on 1st or 2nd line to start season and then traded once he shows he can still play and produce. Likely then Mik and Barabanov play on 3rd line to start season until trade occurs. Then 1 moves up. But who knows maybe Leafs trade AJ for a pick in summer. Even a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2020 draft is very good.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is no way he signed here unless he was guaranteed he was playing top 9. A 1 year ELC contract is a means to show his abilities. Playing on a 4th line he won't be able to put up numbers to get himself a contract of value. So I think that means AJ is done here in TO. Will AJ get traded in summer? Doubt it. More likely he plays on 1st or 2nd line to start season and then traded once he shows he can still play and produce. Likely then Mik and Barabanov play on 3rd line to start season until trade occurs. Then 1 moves up. But who knows maybe Leafs trade AJ for a pick in summer. Even a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2020 draft is very good.
I agree Johnsson is going to be moved.
Wish he was used as the 'sweetener' in the Marleau deal instead of the 1st.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Not sure there's a place for Korshkov next year. Could see him going to the K he can make a lot more there than on the Marlies.
In the KHL he was barely getting any minutes to actually play and produce, I highly doubt he would go back if he has any long term plans of being an NHLer. It's not like he dominated the AHL or anything, so I'm not sure which KHL team is gonna offer him a deal that moves the needle.

I'm guessing the Barbaranov signing means Kappy or Johnsson is a goner. Kappy is much better imo (faster, good on PK, physical) but he also would return a better asset on D.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought same thing but no one knew Mik was going to be a player right ... kinda hard to pull that trigger on a gamble ... in hindsight sure it was a no brainer

Reactions: ACC1224

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

I agree that I think I would have rathered keeping the 1st rounder if given the choice by Carolina but I can see how the Leafs would have thought it would have left us real weak on the LW ... which ultimately proved to be very true as we never found a LW'er for JT's line once Miki went down. Kerfoot, Engvall and Malgin just didn't quite the required success on that line we needed. Hard to predict Johnsson going down for almost the entire season. He was a big piece to our LW.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Then 1 moves up. But who knows maybe Leafs trade AJ for a pick in summer. Even a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2020 draft is very good.

I think it has to be this summer, we'll need the cap space to make moves on the defense.

I'd wonder about the Canes and Preds, both have 5 picks in the top 90 and neither are true rebuilders. Target one of them and an NHL ready ish waiver exempt B/C prospect.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad