Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Love this kind of addition. Costs us nothing other than the actual money. He's cheap as can be at $925k. This gives us potential flexibility to move on from some bigger cap-hits, and reorganize our team without damaging the strength of our forward depth.

It is difficult to tell exactly how a player will transition from the KHL to the NHL, but by all accounts, Barabanov is a talented player who has the right skillset to fit into a Keefe system, and I'm hopeful he can make a similar impact that Mikheyev made.
Its a shift to more grinding,defensive, hard forechecking,penalty killer,energy types in the bottom six. Thats what it should be anyways. This guy can play that. Marner needs to stop killing penalties and a guy like this is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
My understanding is that the Leafs acquired him with the intention to use him at LW (just from the way Dubas talks about him '(making) plays across off the wing back to our guys in the middle or across the rink that are high-end shooters'...sounds more like passing to Nylander, Marner, & Kapanen than to Hyman, Mikheyev, & Johnsson. Who knows though.
I didnt hear the presser but that is interesting. I don't think Mikheyev played much at LW before he came over so I hope this works out as well.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
On a base level I get this signing. On a "Hey. We need a ******* warrior to play for the Leafs!" We seem to be just getting more of what we have. I really worry because I don't think Kyle sees it. I think Shanahan sees it, but he's made his bed unfortunately.

Who are our warriors?! Clifford? He might be done in TOR. Muzzin? Great. He's just one guy. Barabanov? Probably not. I hope to God he proves me wrong.
From the highlights I've seen of him and the comments Dubas made of him he seems to be a high motor player that isn't afraid of the tough areas of the ice and goes to the net hard. Says that he is good at winning puck battles. I'm not sure if he kills penalties or not.

He is not small as he is almost 200 lbs with a stocky build. If this guy is like a combination of Timahov and the level of skill Mikheyev has, then this is a win.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oh no no no, your not going there are you. We would never hear the end of it and this is a hindsight comment. No way it hold weight. He is a great trade chip in the coming phase anyway.

I would definitely keep the value he has over the Marleau sweetener type. Kerfoot is the one that really needs to go if one goes. I am bias as hell on him also so know that. I don’t like anything about Kerfoot, he doesn’t fit, he’s weak, terrible on faceoffs, he’s just never very noticable unless its in a bad way
You are not the only one who sees it. The issue with Kerfoot is he is last remaining asset out of da Kadri trade so Dubie needs to get something back for him preferably a better bigger stronger right handed centre or defender. And he has 1 asset he can skate like da wind but thats it thats all he has. My guess is he probably starts with team next year as 3rd line centre until someone gives Dubie what he needs. But I hope I am wrong and he can be moved in offseason.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Patience my friend.
Dubas has show a methodical approach to improving the team.
Bottom line is this move makes us a bit better and that might afford us to be able to trade someone for the defense you are looking for.
I don't think we are in a bad spot on D
Rielly ?
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Dermott
Liljegren
Marincin
Agree here. It really is too bad Dermott is a left shot. His last handful of games he was awesome with our d in shambles from injuries.

Reactions: saltming

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Agree here. It really is too bad Dermott is a left shot. His last handful of games he was awesome with our d in shambles from injuries.
It is a total non issue. This was a Babs issue more than anything. Dermy has played right side for York Simcoe and Erie his whole life. He even played some right side for Marlies. There will be no issues next season when he lines up on Muzzy's right side.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You are not the only one who sees it. The issue with Kerfoot is he is last remaining asset out of da Kadri trade so Dubie needs to get something back for him preferably a better bigger stronger right handed centre or defender. And he has 1 asset he can skate like da wind but thats it thats all he has. My guess is he probably starts with team next year as 3rd line centre until someone gives Dubie what he needs. But I hope I am wrong and he can be moved in offseason.

That and being a very effective transitional/positional defender. He looked much better at C than wing, and much better pre-breaking his face. And even though he didn't look like a great fit at LW, he still supported the puck well and was a quietly a part of very successful line

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That and being a very effective transitional/positional defender. He looked much better at C than wing, and much better pre-breaking his face.
Yeah for sure his main asset is his wheels. He is not a winger, has to be a centre. But he is pretty dang fast and after Kappy and then Rielly probably next fastest guy on team. My issue with him is his hockey skills and hockey sense. and quite frankly being older I have zero interest in da "we're gonna teach this guy da game" approach. and then "don't worry he can skate and his hands will come around" . I don't believe in either. Now I know there are guys that do develop this way. But I think a lot of us just see too many bone headed plays and we just don't get it. I'd rather have my 3rd line centre for this particular team as a bigger guy who can move ok who can handle a more defensive PK and faceoff and who can create off da forecheck. I can't see Kerfoot ever being that guy.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Ok can’t argie that with you :) i like firsts. A.J had a crappiest year hasn’t he. Might be his worst.
It was his sophomore season (notorious for slumps) and he was on pace to replicate his near 45 points. People act like Johnsson is 30. He hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet.

Reactions: stickty111

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah for sure his main asset is his wheels. He is not a winger, has to be a centre. But he is pretty dang fast and after Kappy and then Rielly probably next fastest guy on team. My issue with him is his hockey skills and hockey sense. and quite frankly being older I have zero interest in da "we're gonna teach this guy da game" approach. and then "don't worry he can skate and his hands will come around" . I don't believe in either. Now I know there are guys that do develop this way. But I think a lot of us just see too many bone headed plays and we just don't get it. I'd rather have my 3rd line centre for this particular team as a bigger guy who can move ok who can handle a more defensive PK and faceoff and who can create off da forecheck. I can't see Kerfoot ever being that guy.

Have to say I disagree.
Hands- I think the face thing had a lot to with it. Looked out of sync after
IQ- he's smart off the puck, though never going to be confused with Marner with it
Defense/pk- smart off the puck, has the wheels to do it. He should be a pk'r.
Faceoffs- one of the most learnable isolated skills at this stage in a career

He's never going to be a satisfying offensive player, but for 3.5 million he can be damn effective at pushing the puck up ice and keeping it there, and chip in ~35 points.

Like sure if we could get Scissons, Laughton, Faksa, but here's only a handful of guys that bring what you speak of while not being major downgrades, and it's unlikely they're available.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
From the highlights I've seen of him and the comments Dubas made of him he seems to be a high motor player that isn't afraid of the tough areas of the ice and goes to the net hard. Says that he is good at winning puck battles. I'm not sure if he kills penalties or not.

He is not small as he is almost 200 lbs with a stocky build. If this guy is like a combination of Timahov and the level of skill Mikheyev has, then this is a win.

I really hope so. I hope he and Dubas prove me wrong. If he can help the leafs then great.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It was his sophomore season (notorious for slumps) and he was on pace to replicate his near 45 points. People act like Johnsson is 30. He hasn't even played 2 full seasons yet.
I am steadfastly get rid of Kerfoot. Johnsson might become a cap casualty but he has played good for us. No problem with him. I would keep Kapanen over AJ ifit bacame a cap decision. I likehim

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Have to say I disagree.
IQ- he's smart off the puck, though never going to be confused with Marner with it

He's never going to be a satisfying offensive player, but for 3.5 million he can be damn effective at pushing the puck up ice and keeping it there, and chip in ~35 points.

Like sure if we could get Scissons, Laughton, Faksa, but here's only a handful of guys that bring what you speak of while not being major downgrades, and it's unlikely they're available.

Funny how he hasn’t learned how not to be owned on faceoffs yet no. He had his chance moved to left wing second line and didn’t produce. Doesn’t add a ingredient we need. How can you trust him on defensive zone faceoffs to kill penalties. I don’t find him smart at all or physical or productive.

I don’t know, you like him i guess.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Funny how he hasn’t learned how not to be owned on faceoffs yet no. He had his chance moved to left wing second line and didn’t produce. Doesn’t add a ingredient we need. How can you trust him on defensive zone faceoffs to kill penalties. I don’t find him smart at all or physical or productive.

I don’t know, you like him i guess.

He was 56% on the draw last year. Been a roller coaster, but learning draws at the nhl level is a notoriously hard adjustment.

On the LW- didn't produce, but played his role fine as 3rd fiddle and the line did.
Physical- he's not overly, but certainly doesn't avoid contact
Smart off the puck- he is. His transition defense and puck support is great. Takes good lanes, funnels attacks into low percentage areas, stuff that makes no highlight reels because it keeps chances from happening 50,100,150 feet from the net
Productive- on pace for 35 points with less than 15 minutes of ice, while playing a good chunk of the season with a broken face.

He's basically Bozak but with faceoffs traded for speed and defensive awareness. Vanilla player that no one wants playing higher in the lineup, and doesn't fit the stylistic ideal of some for 3rd line, but is effective when used properly.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Can't have too many centers...

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Engvall Kerfoot Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Barabanov
Gauthier

Johnsson gone for a 2nd and 3rd in the summer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Have to say I disagree.

I'd take anyone of those 3 guys over Kerfoot without batting an eyelash but those existing teams likely not interested as you say especially when Kerfoot has to go the other way.

We already have another weak defensive centre in Tavares so we can't have 2 of them. When Kerfoot and Barrie are on da ice in our end of ice I have to close my eyes they are so bad defensively. Now Tavares can produce scoring so he is fine. But we need our 3rd line centre to go on da ice and we can' t be getting scored on all da time. Kerfoot does not have da defensive dog on a bone instinct in him. And from what I have been told he was same with Avs. Always a negative +/- type of guy who can't be relied on defensively to produce. We need a guy we can trust and trust today to do da job defensively. And we need a big strong guy who can muscle some faceoffs wins and tie up his centre so we can get some clearings. and then a guy who can get deep in other end and bang some defenders and cough up some loose pucks.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for the link. I'm being a smart ass. I can't say I applaud this signing. Perhaps it indicates that AJ or another winger will be dealt. It doesn't indicate to me that the defense will be fixed any time soon.

This is nonsensical.

There's a multi month offseason ahead of us for the front office to sort out the other areas of the team. Just beacuse the defense is a need, doesnt mean that other moves cant also happen....

Reactions: CincoHolio and Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad