Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Alexander Barabanov to 1 year ELC

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Welcome to the Leafs Alex! And for people saying to trade AJ, well you do not sell low. Coming off a bad injury, you will not get much for him, Kerfoot on the other hand, I would trade for defensive help.

Reactions: The Podium

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is nonsensical.

There's a multi month offseason ahead of us for the front office to sort out the other areas of the team. Just beacuse the defense is a need, doesnt mean that other moves cant also happen....

Quick Menzinger, you need to get through to Dubas and let him know his off-season isn't over with this one UFA signing :laugh:

And people wonder why I'm down on humanity :sarcasm:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think AJ is gone this summer due to his injuries unless there is a desperate GM who believes in AJ.
I think Kerfoot will most likely be traded but Leafs would
need another C.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I am steadfastly get rid of Kerfoot. Johnsson might become a cap casualty but he has played good for us. No problem with him. I would keep Kapanen over AJ ifit bacame a cap decision. I likehim

Kerfoot came in basically earmarked as a cap casualty for me, but had a nice first couple of months and really grew on me. Then he got shifted mostly to wing and proved his ultimate uselessness. Like okay little player with good fundamental skills but not seriously effective and definitely overpaid at $3.0 whatever it is.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Is Barabanov playing with the Leafs this year if the season resumes ? Or does his 1 year contract kicks in from next year?

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Sounds like Barabanov is near the level of Soupy so should be another great cheap Dubas signing. Building a nice Russian pipeline. Hopefully we can that record breaking tiny goalie too.

Not tall but very strong, can PK, very hard worker and serial winner (2 Gagarin Cups and an Olympics Gold) which this team is in desperate short supply of. Makes AJ expendable to package for a RD to also help solve that need.

Don't see how anyone sensible could not like this signing. Especially after Soupy already proved the same doubters wrong last year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Welcome to the Leafs Alex! And for people saying to trade AJ, well you do not sell low. Coming off a bad injury, you will not get much for him, Kerfoot on the other hand, I would trade for defensive help.

AJ is a common player, shows up for 15 to 20 games every year, the league is full of those type of players, those type of bottom of the line up players don't get much in trades at the best of times.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I listened to KD talk on TSN Overdrive yesterday about Barabanov. I fell asleep. He has this way of saying things and giving us fans nothing. Sort of like a politician.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
True selling low isn’t preferable but moving for a pick does free up some cap space. The time to move him was last off season.
Not a Kerfoot fan but being able to play center makes him a more of a need to retain.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
True selling low isn’t preferable but moving for a pick does free up some cap space. The time to move him was last off season.
Not a Kerfoot fan but being able to play center makes him a more of a need to retain.
Agreed. If we got a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2020 draft then I would do it.
I hear Kerfoot did start year off well but I missed most of it in Europe. But I always worry about players who look good at start of season when game is more a speed game with a ton less grit. Then again he got his jaw broken so maybe he was adjusting to it and we did not see his best. And then he did get shifted to da wing from centre on a dime so lots of change for him and a new city too boot. Kerfoot my gut tells me no but lots of real circumstances last year which were abnormal. But totally agree unless we get a different kinda 3rd line centre I would hold him. No matter what he is better than Goat and Spezza. Neither of those guys are 3rd line centres on a Cup contender.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

I agree that Kerfoot should be the one to go, but we dont really have a C replacement unless the Thornton rumours are true and he takes a Spezza 700k.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Thornton - Kapanen
Korshkov - Engvall - Barabanov

Other FA C targets:
Lewis
Girgensons

Todd03

May 28, 2016
Any news on if Konstantin Okulov is close to signing with the maple leafs?
Or anybody else hopefully some good solid big stay at home defense men.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Sometime I wonder if Barabanov, and the other two UFAs that the Leafs signed would get this much attentions if they were signed by other non Canadians Teams.
I am excited about the signings as to me they are extra draft picks. Hope they can all turn out to be good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kerfoot came in basically earmarked as a cap casualty for me, but had a nice first couple of months and really grew on me. Then he got shifted mostly to wing and proved his ultimate uselessness. Like okay little player with good fundamental skills but not seriously effective and definitely overpaid at $3.0 whatever it is.

Potentially 2/3 3 million guys may be out this summer depending on how radically the front office wants to remake the D.

Kap has thr highest trade value but hes also the best of thr bunch so may not want to move him.

AJs value is at an all time low, and likely could rebound if given a chance.

And Kerfoot had an uneven ywar in part due to injuries but can also play centre in a pinch which is always a need.

Not an easy call to make either way. But imo at least one is gone by September

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Agreed. If we got a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2020 draft then I would do it.
I hear Kerfoot did start year off well but I missed most of it in Europe. But I always worry about players who look good at start of season when game is more a speed game with a ton less grit. Then again he got his jaw broken so maybe he was adjusting to it and we did not see his best. And then he did get shifted to da wing from centre on a dime so lots of change for him and a new city too boot. Kerfoot my gut tells me no but lots of real circumstances last year which were abnormal. But totally agree unless we get a different kinda 3rd line centre I would hold him. No matter what he is better than Goat and Spezza. Neither of those guys are 3rd line centres on a Cup contender.

Agreed on the Goat but i think Spezza, if hes at least able to play like he did this past season could be that on a Leafs team that has Matthews and JT ahesd on the depth chart where each of them is playing 18-20ish min a night. Spezza can be stable at 12-15 min a night and pot some offense on a team structure like the Leafs

But again, depends on if his age catches up

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't think a stint after being injured and leaving his natural position proves he's useless. His play at center is pretty good and encouraging, and the Leafs should keep him around. He did end up having just 4 fewer points at 5v5 than Tavares in like 130 fewer minutes

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think a stint after being injured and leaving his natural position proves he's useless. His play at center is pretty good and encouraging, and the Leafs should keep him around. He did end up having just 4 fewer points at 5v5 than Tavares in like 130 fewer minutes

Few playere in thr league are going to come back from having their face shattered in an injury and be back at normal.

I think assuming hes still with the team folks will be surpesied at his play next season

Last edited:
Reactions: qqaz and 4thline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->