Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Never said it did. That wasn’t my arguement. I said the exact same thing virtually happened and then people continues coming up with excuses as to why it happened against Calgary.
I said it didn’t happen. All I said was that the leafs were shutout by the same team for 118 minutes as opposed to the 120 minutes.
It’s like the Matthews 50 in 50 talk. He could get 50 in 50 of his games, but it doesn’t count as an official 50 in 50 like Maurice used to do.
118 is not 120, so while yes it’s neat that someone shut us out for 118 minutes it’s not as impressive as two games cuz that 2 minute breakdown is all they needed for us to capitalize, and I won’t use the points others have used as they don’t seem to be effective here. So while yes, shutting a team out for 118 minutes is almost a shutout, the 2 minute collapse of the flames destroys the prior 58 with a single breakdown

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Of course it is. But are you telling me that if the game was 4-1 toronto final and Calgary scored within the last minute that leaf fans wouldn’t be saying he “almost” got a shutout.
Nah. You either get it or don't. No in between.

It's like saying Matthews could've gotten 30+ hat tricks by now if he could've scored that final 3rd goal into empty net or something. He has an enormous amount of 2 goal games.

Getting a shutout is more about the team too. It's not always only the goalie.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It’s like the Matthews 50 in 50 talk. He could get 50 in 50 of his games, but it doesn’t count as an official 50 in 50 like Maurice used to do.
118 is not 120, so while yes it’s neat that someone shut us out for 118 minutes it’s not as impressive as two games cuz that 2 minute breakdown is all they needed for us to capitalize, and I won’t use the points others have used as they don’t seem to be effective here. So while yes, shutting a team out for 118 minutes is almost a shutout, the 2 minute collapse of the flames destroys the prior 58 with a single breakdown
I agree. If the score was 5-1 for the flames and the leafs scored the first period I wouldnt be arguing it. My point was that there is a difference of two minutes.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Didn't Buffalo just get shut-out back to back by the same team (Flyers I believe). We'll see weird things this year when it comes to obscure records like that.

I just started to read this threat so I'm not sure if anyone has said but this is a Leaf record not a NHL record

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Nah. You either get it or don't. No in between.

It's like saying Matthews could've gotten 30+ hat tricks by now if he could've scored that final 3rd goal into empty net or something. He has an enormous amount of 2 goal games.

Getting a shutout is more about the team too. It's not always only the goalie.
I know you either get it or you don’t. But you can’t deny that the word close is not used in hockey in a regular basis. Comparing Matthews getting numerous hat tricks from numerous two goal games is ironically not a close comparison. Comparing 118 minutes of shutdout hockey to 120 minutes is close.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The way the season has gone here for a lot of non-Leaf fans is as follows:

When the Leafs are doing well:

"It's a weak division and the Leafs are just pounding on a bunch of mortally wounded teams. There for, none of this counts"

When the Leafs lose and or "Leaf":

"See! The Leafs are imposters just like what was fortold in the prophecy"

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I know you either get it or you don’t. But you can’t deny that the word close is not used in hockey in a regular basis. Comparing Matthews getting numerous hat tricks from numerous two goal games is ironically not a close comparison. Comparing 118 minutes of shutdout hockey to 120 minutes is close.
You're right. It is definitely close. Only 120 seconds right. But that's hockey. That's why you always hear the cliché, play a full 60.

You can't win a game in first 2 minutes, but you can definitely lose one.

It is a fine line for sure but you have to give credit to the Leafs because they were pushing Flames all game, and then finally at the end they broke through.

It's hard to sit back on a 1 goal lead all game. Especially nowadays.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You're right. It is definitely close. Only 120 seconds right. But that's hockey. That's why you always hear the cliché, play a full 60.

It is a fine line for sure but you have to give credit to the Leafs because they were pushing Flames all game, and then finally at the end they broke through.

I agree.

Reactions: Petrus

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Edmonton deserved better both games, IMO. Started well both games, carried the balance of play at 5 on 5, got more and better quality chances both games, but I’ll credit the Leafs for sound defensive hockey and timely goaltending. These teams are closer than the season series would indicate.
No they didn’t hahaha what

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

It’s similar to the team losing 4-3 and pull their goalie and allow two empty net goals. Looking at the score you would think that it wasn’t a close game. 6-3
Looking at that Calgary stat in comparison to Edmonton. You can say that after coming off win in Calgary the leafs shutdown two of the best scorers in The game two games in a row. but in reality you leaf fans know that although you won you were also only shutdown 2 less minutes than Edmonton In That time frame. Which is pretty close and like you said. Anything can happen and you go hard 60 minutes. It didn’t happen and I was never arguing that. I was comparing 118-120. Saying that Edmonton got shutout 120 minutes isn’t that much different in time than 118

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
They limited high-quality chances for 120 minutes. I think the games were closer than the score indicates, I didn't we played too badly, we started out strongly in each game but some bad/early goals really deflated us. Oh well, on to the next game. I'd rather drop a series to the Leafs than to Winnipeg, Montreal, or Calgary, just want to make the playoffs.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It’s similar to the team losing 4-3 and pull their goalie and allow two empty net goals. Looking at the score you would think that it wasn’t a close game. 6-3
Looking at that Calgary stat in comparison to Edmonton. You can say that after coming off win in Calgary the leafs shutdown two of the best scorers in The game two games in a row. but in reality you leaf fans know that although you won you were also only shutdown 2 less minutes than Edmonton In That time frame. Which is pretty close and like you said. Anything can happen and you go hard 60 minutes. It didn’t happen and I was never arguing that. I was comparing 118-120. Saying that Edmonton got shutout 120 minutes isn’t that much different in time than 118
I understand. If Willy doesn't score those 2 goals we're likely as sad as Oilers fans are now.

Thing is, you can't get too up or down on a couple good or bad games. It will kill you, especially in 56 game season.

Oilers were absolutely rolling, yes they beat Vancouver and chased Markstrom in Calgary but all you can do is beat the teams you gotta beat. They did that.

It's funny though bc they slapped CGY, then we were shutout by CGY for 118/120 mins. Only to proceed and go shutout Oilers for 2 games.

Anything can happen on any given night, as long as you give yourself a chance.

Tbh, whatever happens this year happens. I'm just happy Bettman did what he could to bring an NHL season back during these unprecedented times.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Whats your point dude?
My point is that although it may seem like a really good feat by Preventing draistl and Connor McDavid as well as the rest of the team from scoring for two games, Calgary did virtually the exact same thing with matthews marner Tavares and Nylander two games prior.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Honestly curious, what is considered a high danger shot by most metric measurements? Because I'm racking my brain trying to think of the ones the Oilers got last night. There's the McDavid semi-breakaway, and then there's the rebound chance Kahun had that Hutchinson stoned him on. But other than those two, I can't recall any clear shots from within 15~ feet of the net.

Or do they just count any shot attempt, from any angle, that's within a 25 foot radius even if it gets blocked or goes wide?

This might help:

NEW: Defining Scoring Chances | WAR On Ice: The Blog

Natural Stat Trick - Glossary

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

"It's a weak division and the Leafs are just pounding on a bunch of mortally wounded teams. There for, none of this counts"

Just embrace it. If yall win the cup it will be that much sweeter. Even though I think the hype the leafs get is always too much they are in a good position to prove some people wrong. That's all people want to see them do to actually justify all the hype they get. It does get annoying as an outside fan to see a team get hype for absolutely no reason other than existing. They gotta prove some things and I think people will be warmer to them.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Proof of this was the hilarious overreaction to blowing the Lead to Ottawa 2 weeks ago. I told everyone it would be quickly forgotten.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Didn't Buffalo just get shut-out back to back by the same team (Flyers I believe). We'll see weird things this year when it comes to obscure records like that.

Flyers have 3 straight 3-0 shutouts vs Buffalo this season, two of them were this past weekend in a b2b.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Those two arguments are not mutually exclusive. The Leafs can both suck and play in a sucky division.

Mar 26, 2010
Time for Dubas to give up some future to go for a cup
I don’t think so. You have to Remember, the Leafs are missing Matthews, Simmonds, Both starting goalies in Campbell and Andersen. Robertson still might be up as well. The team is way better with everyone healthy and playing than the team we have seen the last few games.

Reactions: Lilou

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
I don’t think so. You have to Remember, the Leafs are missing Matthews, Simmonds, Both starting goalies in Campbell and Andersen. Robertson still might be up as well. The team is way better with everyone healthy and playing than the team we have seen the last few games.

Well I meant this year. The trade deadline is soon enough, They have to go for it. They is such a great chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad