Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Either way I am right. Leafs were two minutes away from the exact same record days prior. When you look at records they do t come with an asterisk that says “ya but this teams goalie was standing on Their head or this team was better defensive”.
Stop defending the fact that the virtually the exact same thing happened to the leafs days prior.
You're going on and on about something that didn't even happen my dude, so I think it's fine if I give context because at the end of the day we're talking about a hypothetical scenario that never actually materialized. A bit strange you are going so hard on this tbh.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Except it didn't. It didn't even end in a Leaf loss. They won which clearly defeats the purpose of your argument.

You guys really need a lesson in bottom lines.
Of course it didn’t but my point is that aside from 120 minutes of shutout hockey by the same team it was 118 minutes. Loss or win I said the exact same thing “virtually” happened to the leafs prior to that. Lol. And then leaf fans coming up with excuses. Lol. Who cares. The same thing pretty much happened.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Could have, would have, should have. But, guess what, they didn't. And Leafs actually left that series with 2 points.
Thats not the arguement. Yes they got two points but my point still stands. The exact same thing pretty much happened

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You're going on and on about something that didn't even happen my dude, so I think it's fine if I give context because at the end of the day we're talking about a hypothetical scenario that never actually materialized. A bit strange you are going so hard on this tbh.
Of course it didn’t happen. I’m just pointing out that someone Said that this is the first time this is happened in 60 years and I said the exact same thing virtually happened less than a week prior. 120 minutes vs 118 minutes. Not going to argue facts.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It didn't though lol. Stop making excuses.
“Pretty much” 120 minutes vs 118 minutes. One team got shutout two minutes longer. Pretty mu sh the same thing. Lol.
And I’m not the one who was making up excuses. The other guys have been. Hot goalie, missing muzzin Hyman etc. Lol.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Are you saying winning 2-1 in OT is "virtually the exact same thing" as losing 3-0 or 4-0 ?? Sorry to tell you it is not remotely the same thing.

No hes saying without the 2 Nylander goals , and assuming Noone else scores that the Leafs would have been shutout twice In a row like Edmonton just was.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
That difference won the Leafs the second game so no it's not pretty much the same thing.
Yes. I agree. The leafs won the game. But last I checked being shutout for 118 minutes in back to back games is almost the same thing as shutting out someone for 120 minutes. The leafs were two minutes away from breaking that every record. That’s my point.
I’m making the argument that eventhough this is the first time is 60 years the leafs virtually did the exact opposite in the games prior. That is 100% true. Yes they scored. And then won. But it was pretty close to the exact same thing. Lol. I’m not wrong.
It’s a great accomplishment. I’m not denying that. I’m just pointing out that it also almost happen to the best team in the league.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It didn't pretty much happen because it didn't. Something either happens or it doesn't.
“Pretty much”. Definition. Almost, very nearly.
So yes. It pretty much happened. The fact that leaf fans are continue to defend the team and deny a fact is laughable.
I’m right. 100%. The leafs virtually, almost, pretty much got shutout for two straight games by the same team in days prior is 100% true. They didn’t. But it was pretty f***ing close. No denying that, but you guys keep trying to. Lol.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So yes. It pretty much happened. The fact that leaf fans are continue to defend the team and deny a fact is laughable.
I’m right. 100%. The leafs virtually, almost, pretty much got shutout for two straight games by the same team in days prior is 100% true. They didn’t. But it was pretty f***ing close. No denying that, but you guys keep trying to. Lol.
A shutout is a concrete stat. It either happens or doesn't. It didn't pretty much happen.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Either way I am right. Leafs were two minutes away from the exact same record days prior. When you look at records they do t come with an asterisk that says “ya but this teams goalie was standing on Their head or this team was better defensive”.
Stop defending the fact that the virtually the exact same thing happened to the leafs days prior.
But it didn’t happen, which means you are incorrect so who cares

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think the "record" is that they had back-to-back shutouts against the same team. Which is another "record" due to the odd nature of this season.

Side note: the last time the Leafs shutout the same team back to back, the team they shutout won the Stanley cup...
I'll take that over a shut out any day.

:) come on leafs, shut us out again

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I don't think you know what the word fact means.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Didn't Buffalo just get shut-out back to back by the same team (Flyers I believe). We'll see weird things this year when it comes to obscure records like that.
also lets get some football like stats in here, this was probably the first time a team got back to back shut outs on a Sunday and Tuesday night when the weather was -11 and the wind was coming in from the east and it snowed earlier in the day.

how's that for a stat.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
But it didn’t happen, which means you are incorrect so who cares
Never said it did. That wasn’t my arguement. I said the exact same thing virtually happened and then people continues coming up with excuses as to why it happened against Calgary.
I said it didn’t happen. All I said was that the leafs were shutout by the same team for 118 minutes as opposed to the 120 minutes.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don't think you know what the word fact means.
Say that it was virtually the exact same thing by comparing being shutout for 118 minutes as opposed to 120 is a fact. They never got shutout during the game. Not denying g that. That is not a fact. But 118 minutes as opposed to 120 is virtually the same time.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Never said it did. That wasn’t my arguement. I said the exact same thing virtually happened and then people continues coming up with excuses as to why it happened against Calgary.
I said it didn’t happen. All I said was that the leafs were shutout by the same team for 118 minutes as opposed to the 120 minutes.
The Leafs were goalied by Rittich. If you watched the two Leafs-Oil games, both Leafs goalies didnt stand on their head. Leafs played smart road game by committee, kept Oilers to the outside for low % perimeter shots. Campbell and Hutch made routine saves. Oilers pretty much shot everything at our goalies crest.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
A shutout is a concrete stat. It either happens or doesn't. It didn't pretty much happen.
Of course it is. But are you telling me that if the game was 4-1 toronto final and Calgary scored within the last minute that leaf fans wouldn’t be saying he “almost” got a shutout.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The Leafs were goalied by Rittich. If you watched the two Leafs-Oil games, both Leafs goalies didnt stand on their head. Leafs played smart road game by committee, kept Oilers to the outside for low % perimeter shots. Campbell and Hutch made routine saves. Oilers pretty much shot everything at our goalies crest.
Not arguing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad