Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
All year long:

HF Boards: McDavid is the undisputed best player in the world and Draisaitl is unquestionably the 2nd best.

Leafs shut out the Oilers back to back games in Edmonton:

Also HF Boards: The Leafs don't have any actual success since they only play scrub teams.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Leafs off to a hot hot hot start.

v5ap1Sa.jpg
Yea you've probably seen that one in the Jets.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I guess you missed the 4 threads that were at the top of the page all week...?

Oh, I get it. This isn't about being honest, it's about pushing a narrative. Cool.
They weren't any main board threads about the Flyers shutting out buffalo in back to back games and 3 games overall, so I' not sure where you're getting this "4 threads at the top of the page" nonsense from?

They were threads about how Buffalo stinks, but none about the flyers shutting them out.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
To be honest, it caused like 5 main board Buffalo meltdown threads.
Right, threads about Buffalo, the team getting shutout. No threads about the Flyers, the team that got the shutouts.

This is the opposite, it's not a "edmonton stinks" thread, it's a "leafs are great" thread.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
My point is that although it may seem like a really good feat by Preventing draistl and Connor McDavid as well as the rest of the team from scoring for two games, Calgary did virtually the exact same thing with matthews marner Tavares and Nylander two games prior.
Lol you’re out to lunch. Dont be jumping in on a back and forth when you dont know the full context because what you are talking about has nothing to do with original comment i replied to.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They're literally taken from Naturalstattrick. So if they're inaccurate, you should email the site admins to complain.

Btw - the above is at 5on5.

Leaf fans want to die on this hill but they were NOT good defensively last year. They tried to be in the bubble, but couldn't generate any offense at all because they had no idea how to play well defensively. Keefe took the offseason and evaluated that and adapted the system to be less like the Islanders and more like the Bolts (who's system lets their forwards have fun but still work as a 5 man unit) and man, has it paid off.

Keefe is even on record saying he knew he had to fix this to get anywhere. And the other half of it is a combination of just players maturing (Matthews, Marner, Nylander are now 23/34 and actually growing up) along with upgrading the D. No offense, but Ceci is not a D that should be on your top pairing and playing 20+ minutes a night on any successful team. Brodie upgraded on him massively and play sa quiet, calm game that allows Rielly to still be himself without getting caved defensively (he has 18 points in 23 games).

Keefe's willingness to PLAY Holl (after Babs sat him for an entire season) paid off massively as he has been a solid top 4 D for us. And finally, Bogo, Thorfnton, Spezza, Simmonds. They have been massive in the turn around. They are fierce competitors who want to win, and they keep the tempo high. Last year Ferarro made a comment that the Leafs bench is silent during games. They just sit there quietly waiting for their next shift. These guys are getting guys talking on the bench. Stuff like "WTF was that you need to do better" to "pass me the puck next time!!!" normal shit was not present on our team.

Basically Keefe's new system, maturation of the group, and upgrading their top 4 all lead to them being actually good defensively for the first time I can remember since maybe the early 2000's?

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
the number of NHL records that will be shattered in this weak-@$$ division will be a record.

Reactions: Estlin

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
My point is that although it may seem like a really good feat by Preventing draistl and Connor McDavid as well as the rest of the team from scoring for two games, Calgary did virtually the exact same thing with matthews marner Tavares and Nylander two games prior.
I mean, aside from the fact that Calgary only shut out Toronto once... and then Toronto outscored them the next game and won... and Matthews and Nylander both had two points in those two games.

So in reality, not really the same results at all. I will give Calgary their due though; they played some solid defence that 2-game series.

Reactions: Menzinger

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Lol you’re out to lunch. Dont be jumping in on a back and forth when you dont know the full context because what you are talking about has nothing to do with original comment i replied to.
Wtf are you talking about? You made one comment asking what my point was. I answered. I have no idea what your original comment was. Lol

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I mean, aside from the fact that Calgary only shut out Toronto once... and then Toronto outscored them the next game and won... and Matthews and Nylander both had two points in those two games.

So in reality, not really the same results at all. I will give Calgary their due though; they played some solid defence that 2-game series.
Never once did I say it was the same. Lol

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
“Pretty much”. Definition. Almost, very nearly.
So yes. It pretty much happened. The fact that leaf fans are continue to defend the team and deny a fact is laughable.
I’m right. 100%. The leafs virtually, almost, pretty much got shutout for two straight games by the same team in days prior is 100% true. They didn’t. But it was pretty f***ing close. No denying that, but you guys keep trying to. Lol.
The fact that other teams fans cant take the L is also laughable.
"pretty much" "almost" virtually" "58 mins" bla bla blah. Put on that spongebob bandaid.

Theres no "almost" stats to look up or "58 mins of hockey" stats. They didnt get shutout in back to back games, move along.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The fact that other teams fans cant take the L is also laughable.
"pretty much" "almost" virtually" "58 mins" bla bla blah. Put on that spongebob bandaid.

Theres no "almost" stats to look up or "58 mins of hockey" stats. They didnt get shutout in back to back games, move along.
Not a fan of any of the teams and I also did acknowledge the win. I also did say they never got shutout two games in a row. But comparing getting shutout for 118 minutes compared to 120 is pretty reasonable. But you can just ignore those numbers if you want.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Wtf are you talking about? You made one comment asking what my point was. I answered. I have no idea what your original comment was. Lol
Ya my point exactly. You come flying in out of nowhere talking about whatever it is you were when i was in a back and forth with someone else. Stay in your lane buddy

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Ya my point exactly. You come flying in out of nowhere talking about whatever it is you were when i was in a back and forth with someone else. Stay in your lane buddy
Oh I didn’t know I could only respond to certain people. If I responded to you why are you so mad. Lol.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They weren't any main board threads about the Flyers shutting out buffalo in back to back games and 3 games overall, so I' not sure where you're getting this "4 threads at the top of the page" nonsense from?

They were threads about how Buffalo stinks, but none about the flyers shutting them out.

Well there are a few differences as well. Philly is known as a good defensive team, while Leafs are still gaining the reputation with their play. On top of that, the Oilers offense was #1 in the league going into these games. Sabres were near the botton.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Know what you’re responding to before dropping in making absolutely no sense creating straw men that are completely off topic. Painful.
Actually I had a Pretty valid response to an idiotic comment that you made originally. I made a valid point

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
The takeaway for Leafs fans here should be that when you shutout your biggest divisional rival two straight games, you might be in an extremely weak division.

The Jets might be making a resurgence though, but it's too soon to tell at this point. It's hard to tell exactly just how good the Leafs really are when they're not playing anyone else outside of this division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->