Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm in here not worshipping at the Leaf altar over two games where your goalies stood on their head and ours let in any puck that asked nicely.

There's a difference between stopping all the shots and standing on your head. The latter requires a ton of dangerous chances, which the Oilers haven't created. The Leafs goalies haven't had to be incredible to earn those shutouts, there's been way too many easy saves from the perimeter.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If you understand the numbers, you know that they were much closer games than the score would indicate. Not understanding the numbers is your failure, not mine.

I understand the numbers very well, 4-0 and then 3-0, combined 7-0 over 2 games. You are the only person on this board that is suggesting it was a close game. I understand your point about not panicking, bad stretches happen, but the reason this is or should be alarming. The Oilers were on a tear, hottest team in the league coming into this mini-series and just got stomped and looked bad while doing it.

No one is suggesting you throw it all away and jump off a cliff but there are major issues when you get dominated like that. Obviously we didn't watch the same game, because you think it was closer than the score would appear, but it really wasn't..at all.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
This makes the leafs look good.....but they were about two minutes away from being on the opposite side of this record less than a week prior against Calgary.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
With Campbell's and Hutch's shutouts against Edmonton, the Leafs have shutout the same team for the first time in nearly 60 years. How is that for a stat? Was mentioned on the Sportsnet broadcast.

Philly did it last week.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
um. matthews was playing against Calgary in the two games where the leafs didn’t score for almost 120 minutes.

This makes the leafs look good.....but they were about two minutes away from being on the opposite side of this record less than a week prior against Calgary.

Rittich plays the Leafs really well, just one of those weird things. He has better stats against Toronto than any other team. 3-1-1 with a .937 sv% and only 9 goals allowed in those 5 games. Also, in both of those games last week it was more Rittich standing on his head (and some luck with posts) rather than a stifling defensive performance from Calgary, and Calgary themselves could only muster up one late goal in the second game.

While Hutchinson and Campbell made some timely saves, the Leafs went up big early in both games against Edmonton and pretty much sat on their lead playing in a defensive shell. You can see it in the shot differentials too as the games went on.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you understand the numbers, you know that they were much closer games than the score would indicate. Not understanding the numbers is your failure, not mine.

Honestly curious, what is considered a high danger shot by most metric measurements? Because I'm racking my brain trying to think of the ones the Oilers got last night. There's the McDavid semi-breakaway, and then there's the rebound chance Kahun had that Hutchinson stoned him on. But other than those two, I can't recall any clear shots from within 15~ feet of the net.

Or do they just count any shot attempt, from any angle, that's within a 25 foot radius even if it gets blocked or goes wide?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly curious, what is considered a high danger shot by most metric measurements? Because I'm racking my brain trying to think of the ones the Oilers got last night. There's the McDavid semi-breakaway, and then there's the rebound chance Kahun had that Hutchinson stoned him on. But other than those two, I can't recall any clear shots from within 15~ feet of the net.

Or do they just count any shot attempt, from any angle, that's within a 25 foot radius even if it gets blocked or goes wide?

A high danger chance isn't necessarily a shot on goal. The chance still counts if its a miss, and the Oilers have done a lot of missing of chances of late. Toronto hasn't gotten many either, but what they have gotten they've converted.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Rittich plays the Leafs really well, just one of those weird things. He has better stats against Toronto than any other team. 3-1-1 with a .937 sv% and only 9 goals allowed in those 5 games. Also, in both of those games last week it was more Rittich standing on his head (and some luck with posts) rather than a stifling defensive performance from Calgary, and Calgary themselves could only muster up one late goal in the second game.

While Hutchinson and Campbell made some timely saves, the Leafs went up big early in both games against Edmonton and pretty much sat on their lead playing in a defensive shell. You can see it in the shot differentials too as the games went on.
Either way I am right. Leafs were two minutes away from the exact same record days prior. When you look at records they do t come with an asterisk that says “ya but this teams goalie was standing on Their head or this team was better defensive”.
Stop defending the fact that the virtually the exact same thing happened to the leafs days prior.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Right my bad. Hyman, Muzzin, Thornton, Simmonds missing. Oilers were fully healthy apart from Kassian last night.
That’s wouldn’t show up in the record books. Is there and asterisk that shows the roster. You keep forgetting they had Matthews, marner Nylander and Tavares. Missing Muzzin, a complementary player and two players past their prime is virtually irrelevant. I dont know what you are defending. Be proud the leafs set the record, but don’t ignore the fact that the same thing happened to the team days prior.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Lol k buddy. Maybe pick your spots a bit better. Leafs are first overall and coming off back to back shut outs against a team thats second in their division. The “i know you are but what am i” comeback is one of the most weakest responses ive even seen on this site.
They also were virtually shutout back to back games against a lesser team. Minus two minutes and that record would’ve been Calgary’s days prior.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Either way I am right. Leafs were two minutes away from the exact same record days prior. When you look at records they do t come with an asterisk that says “ya but this teams goalie was standing on Their head or this team was better defensive”.
Stop defending the fact that the virtually the exact same thing happened to the leafs days prior.
Except it didn't. It didn't even end in a Leaf loss. They won which clearly defeats the purpose of your argument.

You guys really need a lesson in bottom lines.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Are you saying winning 2-1 in OT is "virtually the exact same thing" as losing 3-0 or 4-0 ?? Sorry to tell you it is not remotely the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad