Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
That’s wouldn’t show up in the record books. Is there and asterisk that shows the roster. You keep forgetting they had Matthews, marner Nylander and Tavares. Missing Muzzin, a complementary player and two players past their prime is virtually irrelevant. I dont know what you are defending. Be proud the leafs set the record, but don’t ignore the fact that the same thing happened to the team days prior.

Muzzin is our best D. Hardly a complimentary player. Hyman is a top 6 fwd. Massive pieces. There are excuses there for the Leafs. None for a healthy Oilers team.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Muzzin is our best D. Hardly a complimentary player. Hyman is a top 6 fwd. Massive pieces. There are excuses there for the Leafs. None for a healthy Oilers team.
I called Hyman a complementary player. Not muzzin. Saying that’s a Leafs Didnt score becuse of muzzin Hyman Thorton and Spezza is absurd. muzzin isn’t exactly a high scoring defenseman.Probably should’ve worded it better but I meant Muzzin, complementary player(hymen) and two players past their prime(Thornton spezza)

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They do and cap hits are small at the deadline. They will add a 3rd line C and LW for the top 6.
They can win the cup. Go for it.

That's impossible without moving players.
and Capfriendly shows a salary of 130k can be gotten at TDL, minimum salary is 700k plus,

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I mean to the other fans league-wide, they always said Toronto was excellent offensively, it was always the defensive end of the game they said Toronto had to fix.

Now weak division or not, you can see how they are taking pride in playing a smart 2way game which is also helping their goalies not being overworked.

However Keefe has implemented specific strategies to make this happen, it's not like the players snapped their fingers.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I mean to the other fans league-wide, they always said Toronto was excellent offensively, it was always the defensive end of the game they said Toronto had to fix.

Now weak division or not, you can see how they are taking pride in playing a smart 2way game which is also helping their goalies not being overworked.

However Keefe has implemented specific strategies to make this happen, it's not like the players snapped their fingers.

Smaller gaps, collapsing in the d-zone with an emphasis on puck control.

You love to see it. I know I do, I've been waiting since the Pat Quinn days for defensive play this good.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This is why I've been screaming until I'm blue in the face that Toronto's biggest issue wasn't necessarily "the defense corps" (or the goalie, who seems to be a scapegoat), but a commitment to TEAM defense. All 5 guys on the ice doing their job.

And that's what you're seeing this year.

Yes, Brodie is an upgrade defensively over Barrie. But in general, the guys logging the big minutes are largely the same. The difference is, so far, the Leafs are showing much more consistent commitment to a 200 foot game.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
This is why I've been screaming until I'm blue in the face that Toronto's biggest issue wasn't necessarily "the defense corps" (or the goalie, who seems to be a scapegoat), but a commitment to TEAM defense. All 5 guys on the ice doing their job.

And that's what you're seeing this year.

Yes, Brodie is an upgrade defensively over Barrie. But in general, the guys logging the big minutes are largely the same. The difference is, so far, the Leafs are showing much more consistent commitment to a 200 foot game.
Leafs got a far better coach that's what happened. Even last season Keefe's Leafs had better defsively numbers than in 5 years under Babcock.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Most of those teams still have LTIR room.

The Leafs don't have accrued cap or LTIR room, so they'll have to have equal money going out as in.
Let's see. I am betting minimum 2 moves. There's always ways to monev some $ out. And not every team has LTIR anyways

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Leafs got a far better coach that's what happened. Even last season Keefe's Leafs had better defsively numbers than in 5 years under Babcock.

That's not really true. It's certainly not true when you compare Babcock last year to Keefe last year.

CA/60
Babcock - 55.12
Keefe - 55.68

FA/60
Babcock - 42.53
Keefe - 42.89

SA/60
Babcock - 31.02
Keefe - 30.73

SCA/60
Babcock - 25.02
Keefe - 27.50

HDCA/60
Babcock - 10.9
Keefe - 11.14

xGA/60
Babcock - 2.30
Keefe - 2.33

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
That's not really true. It's certainly not true when you compare Babcock last year to Keefe last year.

CA/60
Babcock - 55.12
Keefe - 55.68

FA/60
Babcock - 42.53
Keefe - 42.89

SA/60
Babcock - 31.02
Keefe - 30.73

SCA/60
Babcock - 25.02
Keefe - 27.50

HDCA/60
Babcock - 10.9
Keefe - 11.14

xGA/60
Babcock - 2.30
Keefe - 2.33
I'm going to dig up the numbers. these are not accurate at all.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Things are still normal in the league- Edmonton progresses to new, unfathomable franchise lows every single season #breakingbarriers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad